Author Topic: tips for first time sleeping in permy  (Read 3778 times)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
tips for first time sleeping in permy
« on: Nov 12, 2019, 07:45 PM »
 hey guys, this will be my first season sleeping in my shack with wood stove.  i've got it insulated and purchased a quality sleeping pad but wondering what other tips you more experienced over-nighters may have.  i've got the cast iron pan, piss jug and co2 alarm but i'm sure there's all sorts of little things that can increase the enjoyment.  thanks for any and all advice!

Mizayikaa

Re: tips for first time sleeping in permy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:05 AM »
Light and something to read.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:09 AM »
Warm milk....or maybe something stronger.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2019, 11:24 AM »
VENTILATION!!!!

Mizayikaa

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2019, 12:50 PM »
VENTILATION!!!!
X2. I carry a crib board and deck of cards in mine also.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2019, 01:57 PM »
Jameson.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2019, 07:51 AM »
Left handed cigarettes
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Skunkboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2019, 08:25 AM »
A sub 0 sleeping bag & let the fire go out.  You'll get a better nights sleep than if you're getting up every couple of hours to either feed the stove or prop the door open.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2019, 10:39 AM »
Warm milk....or maybe something stronger.

Yup...toss in a couple of splashes of Kahlua and shot of vodka. Perfect nightcap. 😉
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2019, 10:46 AM »
what is the cast iron pan for at night? bed pan?

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2019, 11:14 AM »
Got the milk and the leftys.  Cast iron pan would be for frying walleye for supper.  Shack is insulated and I'll be sleeping on an insulated pad with -40 sleeping bag and a dog  so I don't plan on getting up more than once to get the fire going.  Especially after all those milks ;D

10" ice, won't be long before the shack is out.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2019, 04:24 PM »
Wood heat is nice, but  tough to regulate in a small space like a ice shack.  Get a wall mount direct vent propane unit and you can keep your shack at a constant temp.  I set two 20 pound tanks on a manifold and when one tank is empty the other takes over.  I put a propane fireplace on a thermostat in my new shack, set it at 70 and good to go.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:12 PM »
A sub 0 sleeping bag & let the fire go out.  You'll get a better nights sleep than if you're getting up every couple of hours to either feed the stove or prop the door open.

I like to be warm and I hate getting up in the middle of the night to load the stove, so I burn Canawick pressed wood firelogs in my woodstove and get 7-8 hours of heat. I'm not kidding, I build a small fire of cedar kindling and put one log on top, let it burn for 10 min and then close the damper right down and it's good all night.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:47 PM »
jiggen and jp, that's funny i've been considering both options.  i have access to lots of free firewood and do like wood heat so i think i'll go with that this winter and try a couple of those pressed wood logs and then look at a vented propane heater for next winter. 

jp - how big is your shack?  insulated? 

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2019, 07:54 PM »
jiggen - what brand of propane heater do you have?

jp - haha just saw your review on canadian tire website.  going to get some next time i'm in town!  thanks alot!

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2019, 12:26 AM »
jiggen and jp, that's funny i've been considering both options.  i have access to lots of free firewood and do like wood heat so i think i'll go with that this winter and try a couple of those pressed wood logs and then look at a vented propane heater for next winter. 

jp - how big is your shack?  insulated?

Our shack is 7x8, insulated with 1.5" of rigid insulation (R6). We use the cylinder stove from our wall tent... it's way too big for the shack but still works good.
The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2019, 01:20 AM »
jiggen - what brand of propane heater do you have?

jp - haha just saw your review on canadian tire website.  going to get some next time i'm in town!  thanks alot!
Its a Regency gas fireplace.  Its over kill, but the shack is 10 x 16 and we stay several days to a week at a time.   I have used Orbis and eskobe  direct wall vent heaters that work well also.   The two tank set up will keep you from running out of propane and having to change a tank at night, the valve switches to the full tank when the pressure is low on the one running out.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline jmedy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2019, 02:56 PM »
my first sleeper shack had a wood stove and like others said, I would be nice and toasty warm when I went to sleep then would wake up a few hours later freezing cold.  I ended up just letting the fire go out and sleeping in the coldweather sleeping bag.  The new house has a propane heater on a thermostat.

Before you sleep in her out on the ice do a shakedown run in the yard.  Even just spending one night hanging out in it and sleeping on land will help you realize small adjustments to make.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2019, 04:27 PM »
 thanks alot guys.  jmedy - i've spent way too much time already hanging out in it, watched most of the world series out there drinking beer and cooking deer sausage.  haven't slept in it yet but it won't be far from home so if things go too sideways i'll just sleep in the truck or drive home if sobriety allows.  will be putting it out on the lake a week from today!

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2019, 10:27 AM »
Don't forget the Luggable Loo, garbage bag and cat litter - I don't use their Bio-Blue. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.