Author Topic: The End  (Read 2096 times)

Offline cofish

• IceShanty Rookie
The End
« on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:57 PM »
Got on the ice today on the front range and it was difficult to get on the ice with all the standing water on the edges! With the projected forcast this week I think it safe to say our ice fishing season on the front range has come to an end!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: The End
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:15 AM »
I would hate to count on Front Range ice. I wouldn't get out near enough to be satisfied in the winter. At the Blue Mesa I can count on the End of march or even half way into April. And the Good part is I can Start in December early.
<===Lefty===

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:32 AM »
I also think the "Front Range" is breathing its last, seems to me its been getting shorter, and shorter the last 5 years, sigh, chock it up to "Global warming" or whatever you call climate change.
Bud

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:02 AM »
I would hate to count on Front Range ice. I wouldn't get out near enough to be satisfied in the winter. At the Blue Mesa I can count on the End of march or even half way into April. And the Good part is I can Start in December early.

Depends on what you mean by front range ice.  I Live in Longmont and within an hour drive I start ice fishing in October and could reasonable keep going until June.  Ice season was pretty good this year at lower elevation.  Started in late December and had pretty good ice up until now for warm water species.  I'll probably start mixing in some open water next weekend.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2016, 04:52 PM »
Had to go to a meeting in Boulder today and noticed a few ponds that were still fully capped and one that was 75% open water already, some others had partial open water.  This was around the Longmont/Boulder area.  I expect a decent amount of fishable open water by the end of the week.

Offline bronvike21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2016, 05:51 PM »
I have never and will never stepped on front range ice. I will drive the two hours to the mountains before relying on ice down here. Life is too precious.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2016, 06:02 PM »
I have never and will never stepped on front range ice. I will drive the two hours to the mountains before relying on ice down here. Life is too precious.

What's different about mountain ice vs. front range ice?  Different ANSI rating?

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2016, 07:19 PM »
We're just getting into the good part of the hardwater season over here. I love me some late ice perch fishing!
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:30 PM »
These warm day and over night temps above freezing, and with winds kicking around a little open water will do in what ice there is at all 3 of the major metro Denver lakes

If the new marina operator fires up the aerators at Cherry Creek it would be to his advantage to get an early start to the boating season. The ice would leave in a hurry.
Bud

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2016, 02:09 PM »
Depends on what you mean by front range ice.  I Live in Longmont and within an hour drive I start ice fishing in October and could reasonable keep going until June.  Ice season was pretty good this year as lower elevation.  Started in late December and had pretty good ice up until now for warm water species.  I'll probably start mixing in some open water next

Curious to where that is at.  I could see an hr drive plus up to two hr hike.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2016, 02:39 PM »

Probably 2hrs total from door to ice.  A little more than an hr drive and maybe 45min hike.  Only possible early in the season, but the ice is there....and brookies.

Curious to where that is at.  I could see an hr drive plus up to two hr hike.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2016, 08:52 PM »
Drove over the Cherry Creek Dam, noticed ice was about 10 from shore line on the west side, open water growing, will go by again tomorrow and see what the winds did.
Bud

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2016, 06:09 AM »
This is the End.

<===Lefty===

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:54 AM »
Got the boat out and fired up the engine yesterday.  I probably only have 1 or 2 more ice fishing tips in me.  Oh well, on to open water!
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2016, 11:41 PM »
today CC looked to be 75% open  ;D
Bud

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2016, 07:44 AM »
uh oh that don't sound good.  Where at in northern CO ?
Bud

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2016, 08:19 AM »
Calling it too. Swimming practice wasn't fun today.

Bwahahaha- I done that at Boyd a few years ago-

Its a little guy, but open water is what it is-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.