Author Topic: propane tanks  (Read 4712 times)

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
Re: propane tanks
« Reply #30 on: Feb 29, 2008, 09:42 AM »
how much did you guys/gals pay for the adapter? i bought one for 15$ but shipping was another 7$
I got mine at a store in Mn./Wisc. area called FleetFarm. $3.99 + tax, I think. I use it, along with an extension hose,to fill both 1#, 5# and 20#. I have 3- 90# tanks & fill the 5 &  20# from the 90#s & use the 20# to fill the 1#s & sometimes the 5#.
90# tanks are cheaper to fill because of the bulk size.

Note:Just because I  & some others do this propane transfer, I do not recommend just anyone trying this, if they can  let others fill their tanks for them. I am concerned that there are young folks out there who may read this topic & try to do this practice w/out knowing a safe way to do it.

BE safe, GO Fish..
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

icewagon

« Reply #31 on: Feb 29, 2008, 12:07 PM »
A 4.24 lb refillable tank costs  $50. at Cabelas here in PA. I buy 2- 1 lb ers at wally world for $ 4.74 or $2.37 each it just ain't worth the hassle to buy a 4.25 lber. or worth the risk to refill those 1 lbers. just my thoughts . Icewagon

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Feb 29, 2008, 05:14 PM »
icewagon I use 4.25 I don't use alot of heat only cost 3.50 to fill it I really like mine

Offline quiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Does it really stink in here!
« Reply #33 on: Mar 02, 2008, 07:11 PM »
Confused? Safe or not? Dont wont to play with a bomb for a few cents savings.   

Offline pan-fisher-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2008, 07:39 PM »
i dont buy my propane, i git money from my friends when i pic them up to go with me so i put that towards the tanks...i recycle my 1lbers though
-------   --------
          /
         / FISH THE HARD STUFF
        /
   ><>

Offline Countyiceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2008, 08:32 PM »
An adapter at the local hardware store costs the same as about one of those 5# refillable cylinders.  I have given the adapter a hard look, but have yet to bu one.  I think I'll buy a smaller 5# cylinder and hook my portable propane items onto it.  Then...after a year or so...I'll by the adapter to fill my 5# tank from my 200# tank I have for backup heat inthe house!
Whenever someone caught a fish...my Uncle David always shouted..."THROW IT BACK TO IT"S MOTHER!!"  I can hear that echoing across the frozen lake now!

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2008, 09:48 PM »
Confused? Safe or not? Don't wont to play with a bomb for a few cents savings.   
Playing with a FIRE BOMB to be exact! If you do not know exactly what you are doing it can be disastrous.

PROPANE FACTS!
1) propane vapor is heavier than air it will accumulate in low areas
2) Liquid propane is lighter then water it will float
3) Liquid Propane weighs 4.24# per gallon
4) Liquid propane does not burn, but it creates massive amounts of burnable vapor
5) ONE GALLON of liquid propane creates 270 GALLONS burnable vapor
6) Liquid propane boils at -44F. and will freeze burn your skin and muscle immediately
7) Propane vapor only needs a static spark 2/3 of the power it requires the human body to feel in order to ignite
8) IT IS ONLY LEGAL TO FILL CYLINDERS BY WEIGHT
9) Propane has no smell an odorant is added
10)  All small nonrefillable cylinders have a special odorant used to enable to test for refilling
11) All cylinders are equipped with relief valves in case of overfilling or overheating to prevent catastrophic cylinder explosion
12) Liquid propane expands 1% of it's volume for every 6 degrees F. above 60 degrees. and shrinks 1% of it's volume for every 6 degrees below 60 (60 degrees F. is the stable temp propane volumes are measured from)
13)Over filled cylinders can allow Liquid propane to enter appliances which is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS they must have a 20% vapor space measured at 60 degrees F.
14)NEVER TRY TO PUT OUT A PROPANE FIRE UNLESS YOU CAN CONTROL AND STOP THE SOURCE OF THE PROPANE THAT IS BURNING! due to the fact that the vapor can then accumulate and become explosive.

Now, if you still want to fill your cylinders too save a few dollars, PLEASE only do so if you know exactly what you are doing. A BURN CENTER IS NOT A FUN PLACE TO VISIT!

Offline deanmc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2008, 11:05 PM »
Have any Canadians(me)been able to get this adapter? Our bottles must be different because we cant turn them upside down to get liquid anymore. I know this because I am a bit of a mechanic and this trick used to work real good for shrinking bearings but the new bottles wont let anything escape when opened upside down.http://

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:23 AM »
gasman707,
I agree.
PLEASE only do so if you know exactly what you are doing.
Goes along with the old saying,
"Don't play with fire, if ya don't want to get burned!"
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2008, 05:49 PM »
Have any Canadians(me)been able to get this adapter? Our bottles must be different because we cant turn them upside down to get liquid anymore. I know this because I am a bit of a mechanic and this trick used to work real good for shrinking bearings but the new bottles wont let anything escape when opened upside down.http://

All refillable cylinders are now required by law as defined in NFPA pamphlet 58 to have O.P.D Valves (overfill protection device) or they can not be refilled, I'm not 100% sure but I do believe Canada follows those same guide lines.
 There are 3 differant safety devices in these valves to protect the users and others.
The first of course is the overfill device which is designed to not allow the cylinder to be overfilled. This is also what on most cylinder does not allow liquid to escape when turned upside down.
 The second gives everone the most trouble and it is the excess flow valve. It is suppose to stop all flow of gas in case of a major leak (example hose breaking), but this is what causes problems when trying to light grills and such. If you turn the tank on too fast it makes this safety feature lock up and not let gas through. To fix just turn off count to 5 so it can reset and open slowly.
 The final is the back check where you connect the hose or whatever, It is there so unless something is screwed all the way in no gas can escape.  I feel is the most important and is there because as in one instance (THIS IS TRUE) there was a grill cylinder in the backseat of a car and the child  in the back opened the valve and when the parents opened the the door the car exploded into flames.

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2008, 06:17 PM »
i would hope that they would refill them, i see too many people just throw their empty ones out on the ice
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2008, 06:23 PM »
Makes for a lot of waste. I refill my oun. 1 minute and they are filled 4 eighty cents verses the 3.50 they want at the bait store. Guess I am cheap but I use 2-3 tanks per outing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.