Author Topic: Bait issues...  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Fredster

• IceShanty Rookie
Bait issues...
« on: Sep 04, 2007, 12:41 PM »
Well now that my shacks are starting to shape up, it's time I started thinking about bait.  Being that it's just too d@mned expensive, I plan on making some changes this year to save me some bait. 

First I plan to create me a "garage livewell".  My plan is take an old cooler that I have laying around, and add a pump and a heater to it.  I'm hoping that between the two, i should be able to keep my bait alive at least for a few days.  I really hate coming back from the lake with extra bait, only to lose them to cold, lack of O2, etc.  My garage isn't heated, but i'm betting that an aquarium heater plus the constant moving of the water should keep them about the right temp.

I also am thinking about buying one of those frabill buckets with the pump built in.  It's a little bigger then I want, but I like the idea of it being all one unit.  I've tried various pumps and find they are all too loud for my tastes.  I've been told the frabill is pretty quiet and works well.  We'll see...

I'd love to hear what you guys do regarding saving your minnows...

Fredster

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Bait issues...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2007, 07:54 AM »
heres what I do    can deal with 1000 easy!   start early is the key  ya need to get the good bacteria going  as far as bait buckets  I use an old 3 gal Igloo water cooler and drilled a hole in the top for the air line    this has been fantastic as it is insulated   make for transporting the minnows from the lakes to the bait tank   in warm weather fantastic   survivability of the minnows is prob right at 99%   then in my tank I may loose 10 a week  max  averaged from July to march

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=58630.msg586815;topicseen#new
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.