The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: LIMIT OF CRAPPIE  (Read 6276 times)

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
LIMIT OF CRAPPIE
« on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:28 AM »
Used the new lantern I bought last night and the tip for minnows in the 2 liter bottle.....worked wonders.....we caught 36 nice ones in about 3 hrs.
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

pinche

Re: LIMIT OF CRAPPIE
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2007, 08:46 AM »
Used the new lantern I bought last night and the tip for minnows in the 2 liter bottle.....worked wonders.....we caught 36 nice ones in about 3 hrs.
Glad to hear you did well .. good job.

flockshot

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:06 AM »
thats awsome dude...glad to hear some one post the results of otheres tips... i may actually have to try this now. lol.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:30 AM »
what is our limit on crappies?
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:31 AM »
It was simply amazing! I got all set up about 30 minutes before dark....kicked on the lantern.....dropped my minnow aquarium down 17 feet and the fish finder started going off almost instantly! The first fish I caught was a respectful 11 incher and the 35 others were between 8-10 inches. I am hooked on this method now and am venturing out again tomorrow evening. I used tip up line for the 2 liter....I think if I had clear it would have been even better.
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline fishinainteasy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:31 AM »
Fish Hard Or Stay Home!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:32 AM »

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:34 AM »
Thanks for the feed back on my/or others tip with the two Litre. It has usualy worked for me, but was wondering how others would do with it. Thanks for trying it, and refering back the results!. :)

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:36 AM »
Thanks for the feed back on my tip with the two Litre. It has usualy worked for me, but was wondering how others would do with it. Thanks for trying it, and refering back the results!. :)

my uncle had just told me about that technique before you mentioned it. It sounds like a great idea, ill have to try it soon. Think it would work for perch too I assume?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:39 AM »
my uncle had just told me about that technique before you mentioned it. It sounds like a great idea, ill have to try it soon. Think it would work for perch too I assume?
In LSC, where the terrain is featureless, a fake weed bed I employ, with 2 Litres works like a miracle!
the weed bed draws them, the 2 litre holds them. Its darn right funny watching Perch attack the two litre! I place a pair of two litres and position us in between.

flockshot

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:40 AM »
a simular trick for perch is to bring a sucker harness(like the clips used on spearing decoys)  after catching a dink..i lower him back down on the harness...it keeps the schools from scattering as much when one gets pulled up..a confidence decoy type of thing.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:46 AM »
a simular trick for perch is to bring a sucker harness(like the clips used on spearing decoys)  after catching a dink..i lower him back down on the harness...it keeps the schools from scattering as much when one gets pulled up..a confidence decoy type of thing.

ive done that before too. Sometimes when we get on a school of big gills in the summer, ill hook one on a different rod, and all the other come up to see what that one "has in his mouth" and then my little bait comes in and BAM!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:48 AM »
I do that also, but after having them stolen by Muskies and Big Gators, I use treble hook harnesses on my confidence deeks.
Four pike in four trips to F so far this year doing this.

In the summer you can clip a baloon with a six foot lead to the dorsal fin of the first Crappie caught. Toss him back in like this, and he will act as a deek, and will follow the scholl, allowing you to stay on em!

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:58 AM »
all i have to say about the 2 liter bottle trick is dont get caught... its illegal but works!
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:00 AM »
all i have to say about the 2 liter bottle trick is dont get caught... its illegal but works!

is it really? Whats the law state that goes against it ???

flockshot

« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:03 AM »
yeah i dont think its illegal. im gonna check now ofcourse. lol.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:03 AM »
Illegal? You are allowed in Michigan to put a minnow pail in the water for keeping minnows alive. How is putting minnows in a home made minnow bucket (Ghetto style), and putting it in the water to keep your minnows from freezing illegal?
Any detail you can provide would be helpful. I do not want to break the law by putting my minnow buckets in the water, and that could be an issue in the summer too.

Your help would be appreciated. :tipup:

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:07 AM »
is it really? Whats the law state that goes against it ???
i believe it would be in the category with chumming, and chumming is illegal, granted everyone has dabbled here and there in the chuming process. But while we are on the illegal side of the things that catch fish throw a goldfish in with the minnows adds color and fish love goldfish
Another crappie.........yay!

flockshot

« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:12 AM »
im looking at the guide right now...theres nothing about chumming either.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:14 AM »
i believe it would be in the category with chumming, and chumming is illegal, granted everyone has dabbled here and there in the chuming process. But while we are on the illegal side of the things that catch fish throw a goldfish in with the minnows adds color and fish love goldfish
In a Clintonista kinda of way, the definition of is, is, is.. ...I do not think this can be construed in any way as chumming. No particulites of any sort are being introduced into the water free style in anyway.

It's a Ghetto Minnow Bucket, and WC needs one for his boat too!

flockshot

« Reply #20 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:17 AM »
theres nothing in the rule book about chumming either though.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:19 AM »
theres nothing in the rule book about chumming either though.
I have always chummed, and never seen anything illegal about in the rules. If so, i need to know. Don't like being a violator!

flockshot

« Reply #22 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:24 AM »
the only thing i could find was it was unlawful to dispose of litter, fish offal or any forein matter into public waters.. i guess this could be construed as chumming..but ive had CO's  come up to me while i have been carp fishing and im throwing all sorts of chum in the water..sometimes while talking to them..and ive never had a word said about it.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:27 AM »
Chumming with specific materials may be illegal, but the Ghetto Bucket sounds perfectly legal from what your saying.

pinche

« Reply #24 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:39 AM »
Its so frustrating trying to decifer any sort of govt documents. Why can they just list what is legal and what is not .  :-\

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #25 on: Feb 22, 2007, 12:18 PM »
 Because they can't keep up with the intelligence of us fishermen   ;), we develop new methods of fishing all the time and it takes a while to get to the general public then it's gotta get to the Game Wardens and then it's gotta be made leagal/illegal.
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 22, 2007, 12:36 PM »
Fish offal is the guts....Not the fish. 

M.I.R.C. 

flockshot

« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2007, 12:37 PM »
i know ...its the "foreign matter" wording that would probably get you though...i think it might be there for the out of hand instances.

Offline downRIVER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:01 PM »
Why can they just list what is legal and what is not .  :-\

L A W Y E R S

RLWagner: what do you use as a weedbed?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 22, 2007, 01:07 PM »
L A W Y E R S

RLWagner: what do you use as a weedbed?

I have constructed 8 structures on a string. I used rubber decoy line for the string. I crimped on Duck Decoy Weights on the end to hold them down.
I then used dismantled fake plants that look somewhat like rubber trees. Very broad leafs. I slide the double leafs down the cord, and then use clear 100% siliconized caulk to hold them in place, and it has held for three years now.
The structure is about 24" wide at the base, 5 feet tall, and tapers to 8-12" at the top. They push down into a 6" ice hole with the aide of your scoop. Then they pull out very easy.
I slid a slice of Round pool foam, like the 5' sticks that kids use to play with. I cut a two to three inch section off, and slide it on the string. This keeps the structure upiright.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.