The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Higgins  (Read 1394 times)

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Higgins
« on: Feb 21, 2007, 04:44 PM »
Anyone know how the smelt fishing is at Higgins.

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Higgins
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:19 PM »
from the DNR report:

Higgins Lake - Smelt were taken off the access site on the west side of the lake. Fish are hitting all day and all night, but they tend to turn off for a while then turn right back on. Perch minnows, wax worms and spikes have caught fish. Whitefish were taken in about 100 feet of water, but warm temperatures will push the smelt in shallow so try 20 to 60 feet of water. Lake trout have been caught on tip-ups in 100 to 120 feet of water. Use smelt for bait and fish just off the bottom. Anglers are reminded that a Motor Vehicle Permit is required in the State Parks.

tb
Yes, there really is a Kalamazoo!!

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:52 PM »
How much ice is up there? Thinkin about heading up there this weekend
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2007, 09:47 PM »
well, the dnr says the lake is completely frozen over, but ice may be sketchy in some areas.  The area that the report is talking about by the south launch (where smelt are being caught in ~40 fow) is not that far out, so that is an area that should be frozen quite well.  I'd maybe give lyman's a call.  they'd prolly let ya know for sure.  I'd also like to get up there at least once this year.  I don't think we have much to worry about with this weather...i was out today on like 14 inches.  i think i still have time.

tb

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2007, 05:35 AM »
well, the dnr says the lake is completely frozen over, but ice may be sketchy in some areas.  The area that the report is talking about by the south launch (where smelt are being caught in ~40 fow) is not that far out, so that is an area that should be frozen quite well.  I'd maybe give lyman's a call.  they'd prolly let ya know for sure.  I'd also like to get up there at least once this year.  I don't think we have much to worry about with this weather...i was out today on like 14 inches.  i think i still have time.

tb
  Thanks tb

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Heading up to Higgins Saturday night and fishing all day Sunday. Never been smelt fishing but a buddy of mine who is going has been up there before. What do you catch smelt on? Waxworms and teardrops? Wouldn't mind putting out a few tip ups for some lake trout too. Any one been up there lately? Going to walk out to fish and was wondering how much snow is on top the ice. The less, the better!

Offline WntrMrngWood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2007, 11:30 AM »
When smelt fishing, i use ultra light tackle, and a hali jig tipped with a wax worm.  obviously, you won't feel much, but when you get in a school, they bite pretty good.  I really doubt there will be much if any snow on the ice with this weather.  makes for a nice pull  good luck

tb

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2007, 11:32 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.