Author Topic: Durham area and Facebook  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
Durham area and Facebook
« on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:25 PM »
I go to unh and am not near any of my usual spots. I checked multiple places today, access is a real b***h. Finding bait in this area even worse. I checked bellhamy resvoirs, meedums which has a unh access site that is closed to me a UNH student. And wheelwright which I ended up walking through the woods for a long time to get to the water. Any recommendations for places to go with for bait and hit the hard water would be appreciated can pm me, I have alot of info on around hudson/Nashua area I can share. I have been looking on a map trying to find new places but most can’t even park at.
Thanks
Another post I wanted to make, has any shanty members considered making a Facebook page of shanty members only, i like shanty but doesn’t seem like it gets the posts it used to even in the 3 years I’ve joined. And I understand that old timers on shanty won’t want to go to Facebook but much either to post especially pictures and video.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Durham area and Facebook
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2024, 07:47 AM »
I live on the seacoast and you're right, there aren't a lot of options within a half-hour or so.  You mentioned Mendums and Wheelright, which have almost prohibitive access issues as you said.  Bellamy can be okay and it has dedicated access, though I don't know how far down it gets plowed. 

Beyond that, there's (maybe) Swains, Bow, and Pleasant, but not sure how far you'd have to walk (on risky ice) to get to productive areas.  And now you're talking an hour drive, or close. 

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2024, 07:48 AM »
Dover Marine and Coyote Creek Outfitters are probably the 2 closest places to UNH to purchase bait that I know of.

Continue north on 16 for 20-30 minutes to find safer ice.

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2024, 09:31 AM »
What's facebook?
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2024, 09:40 AM »
What's facebook?

When you find out, let me know!   ;)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2024, 11:45 AM »
When you find out, let me know!   ;)

Id also like to know.  I hear its a website built by communists.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2024, 11:47 AM »

I have a feeling it's quite douchey. 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2024, 01:01 PM »

That and it's a poop
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2024, 08:15 PM »
Don’t know what to say. It’s a different era in time

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2024, 05:30 PM »
Is that the pop up I keep getting on xhamster?

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2024, 06:06 PM »
Is that the pop up I keep getting on xhamster?

Hahahaha!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2024, 07:18 AM »
I've heard of that place... You find the biggest turd in your backyard, polish it the best you can and list it for sale at 7 times its actual value. Then when someone calls, you tell them to come on by and then you promptly leave the area before they arrive...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2024, 07:50 AM »
I have been looking on a map trying to find new places but most can’t even park at.

Keep at it, you'll find places.  Put in the work & reap the rewards.   ;D

maps.google.com, webapp.navionics.com, NH bathy maps, Clark's guide books, some other online apps - all can be good resources.....but you still need to put in the leg work.  striking out sucks.  takes time.  wasted days.  but shortcuts will only get you so far.  you might only find 1 in 4 is a viable option.  some places have great access that the town gates up or chains in winter.  some places have good access & parking - that never gets plowed in winter (or worse is used as a place to plow snow into).  so, still no substitute for putting in the work b/c some places that look great on paper (or from space) aren't going to work for 1 reason or another.

next hurdle is finding good, solid ice which is uneven & variable at the moment.

only way to fail is to give up, so keep at it.   ;D

if all else fails, head north ~1 hr - better ice up there (& somewhat better access)

Offline Rainbow1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2024, 08:22 AM »
Taylors, right next to bellamy reservoir used to have bait.  Its been a long time since I've been there though

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.