New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fisherman dies  (Read 3031 times)

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
fisherman dies
« on: Jan 10, 2024, 07:47 PM »
On the local news tonight-  2 fishermen went in on Basswood Lake in Otsego County today. One survived. DEC reported there was 1" of ice.   How sad.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: fisherman dies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2024, 08:06 PM »
PLEASE   PLEASE   PLEASE  Guys just chill a little bit!!  The temps are falling next week. Let mother nature do her thing, We will get to go fishing - later than we want but we will go.
 When I go the first couple times I will wear my life jacket. I will wear my spikes and carry a spud bar which I will use - not just pull it in my sled.  After I have settled into an area and have gained confidence in the ice I will then remove my life jacket -  not until.
  One is enough we don't need any more in the news.

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2024, 08:21 PM »
I actually use my spud for the first 2-3 weeks every year - I like the option to cut as big a hole as I like .....I only use my auger when the ice gets "too thick"......if I ever cut a hole with an inch of ice I wouldn't even turn around - I would walk backwards off the ice .... too bad for that family, but in what world would anybody think there is enough ice in the southern tier this year .....

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:41 AM »
 That is sad indeed , my condolences to family and friends , sometimes bad things can be avoided , spud ,pics , and creepers are a must  , even then things can happen

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:44 AM »
I saw that.  BassWood Pond is a designated trout pond and there is no ice fishing on it..

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:51 AM »

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2024, 06:28 AM »
Sad and tragic news, the forest ranger performed a second rescue the same day helping a woman out of an overturned car.
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdoors/2024/01/two-brothers-plunge-through-thin-ice-while-fishing-on-upstate-ny-lake-one-drowns.html

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2024, 06:36 AM »
I saw that.  BassWood Pond is a designated trout pond and there is no ice fishing on it..

If this is the same one ice fishing IS permitted

https://dec.ny.gov/places/basswood-pond
Ice Fishing:
Permitted.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2024, 06:46 AM »
If this is the same one ice fishing IS permitted

https://dec.ny.gov/places/basswood-pond
Ice Fishing:
Permitted.
  Wow they must have changed it since the last time I was down there.  Was always 3 fish during the open water season..
 But still I bet they weren’t using a spud..

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2024, 07:45 AM »
  Wow they must have changed it since the last time I was down there.  Was always 3 fish during the open water season..
 But still I bet they weren’t using a spud..

Yeah I can't imagine chopping a hole, seeing 1" of ice and saying "lets try another one out deeper" ......

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2024, 07:51 AM »
Just way too foolish  I guess folks just think - It won't happen to me    We really have to use our heads. Very sorry for the family

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2024, 07:58 AM »
Events like this make my wife freek out.

Wow an inch, would not even want my dog to venture out on it!!

Condolences to the family, seems so unnecessary.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2024, 08:06 AM »
Yeah I can't imagine chopping a hole, seeing 1" of ice and saying "lets try another one out deeper" ......

Agreed 100% 

Not to mention that had to have spider webbed and sounded like walking on bubble wrap with every step before they went through ??? Ice that thin always throws some red flags if you try walking on it.

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2024, 08:12 AM »
Agreed 100% 

Not to mention that had to have spider webbed and sounded like walking on bubble wrap with every step before they went through ??? Ice that thin always throws some red flags if you try walking on it.

Yeah, no kidding...I was on 3-4" of black ice one year and even that freaked me out - no noise - no cracking ...just looking at the minnows and weeds right there .....I was chopping holes every other step so I KNEW how hard the ice was and it was still weird and kind of scary at first .....

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2024, 08:46 AM »
We used to have family/friends picnics there years ago and it’s out in the middle of state land.. Only one farm close by who might be the person walking the dog. And to have rangers 1 minute away…

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2024, 08:59 AM »
Yeah, no kidding...I was on 3-4" of black ice one year and even that freaked me out - no noise - no cracking ...just looking at the minnows and weeds right there .....I was chopping holes every other step so I KNEW how hard the ice was and it was still weird and kind of scary at first .....

I fish early 3-4" black ice early every season, but I poke around a lot checking it, and it's over waist to chest deep shallows within 20-30 yards of shore where stepping through is an annoying inconvenience, not a catastrophe.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2024, 10:59 AM »
everone that  drills holes to check ice is  dumb  .....and  this same thing could happen to you ..... buy a  spud  and  use it  ever  step  .... if  you  drill holes    as you go out  your  ticket to the  other side awaits  you........sorry to be  so  point blank  but some  don't get it....and  chest  deep water   when you  go threw  can  kill you too 

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2024, 11:49 AM »
Yeah I don’t get the drill a hole to check ice thing either. Seems like a huge  pain in the a** to be carrying an auger around everywhere or putting it in or out of your sled every 5 steps than just keep a spud in hand. They sell all different sizes and weights now days not to mention you can easily make one custom

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 11, 2024, 11:54 AM »
Yeah I don’t get the drill a hole to check ice thing either. Seems like a huge  pain in the a** to be carrying an auger around everywhere or putting it in or out of your sled every 5 steps than just keep a spud in hand. They sell all different sizes and weights now days not to mention you can easily make one custom

My first hand me down chisel was a length of rebar with a head welded on the end... it worked, but good lord I do not miss that thing one bit vs a store bought modern one.  It was akin to lugging around an anvil.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 11, 2024, 11:54 AM »

I usually carry a rock toss that in the air and if doesnt break I'm good to go... ::) :P ;D
westernmas on the finder

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 11, 2024, 12:43 PM »
I usually carry a rock toss that in the air and if doesnt break I'm good to go... ::) :P ;D
🤪, spud would have told me it’s not ready yet ,try again another day

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 11, 2024, 02:43 PM »
My first hand me down chisel was a length of rebar with a head welded on the end... it worked, but good lord I do not miss that thing one bit vs a store bought modern one.  It was akin to lugging around an anvil.

My spud is heavy too, but its one my mom bought for my dad back in the 50's .....they didn't have a car and she bought it "downtown" and had to carry it on 3 buses to get it home for him.  Still works great - I'll never get rid of it .... ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:01 PM »
fred  we would have  know  first wack   to turn around  .........you preach it  and preach it ...no one  listens  anyone thats  ever fished  with me know  i  carry it  all the  time  and i  check all the time  you'd  be  surprized  how  many  times i  been on a  foot of  ice  and  dropped that  spud  and it went threw  ........  do what ya  want ......i'm  checking the ice  the right way

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:21 PM »
My spud is heavy too, but its one my mom bought for my dad back in the 50's .....they didn't have a car and she bought it "downtown" and had to carry it on 3 buses to get it home for him.  Still works great - I'll never get rid of it .... ;D
I’ve still have my 2 green  monsters , but my shoulders do much better with my Eskimo economy spud , just had
 To relearn the feel and sound
      Several years ago I had buds that didn’t have spuds ,so while fishing up north I stopped at Chapman’s and bought 6 of them and past them out

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:54 PM »

Was on Lake George a few times when it was perfect black ice and plenty thick enough with barely any cracks in it, and zero snow on it. Walking on that over 80 feet of water is creepy because you look down and just see the black abyss, and it is unsettling even though it is the safest ice there can be.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2024, 05:16 PM »
The older you get the more you remember stories like this and it makes us more careful.   Seems some just have to be the first ones on the ice and the first ones with a sled.  What is there about bragging rights ???  They make people stupid……………………. And dead…..

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 11, 2024, 06:21 PM »
Float coats are so cheap now, I can’t believe people would ice fish without one.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2024, 06:43 PM »
if you look at the picture  dacker  posted i assume thats the  victim  floating  .......  i may  be  wrong  but i think most people  die  from  hypothermia

Offline Ric66

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2024, 10:15 PM »
Float coats are so cheap now, I can’t believe people would ice fish without one.

Agree 100%. I always wear float jacket and pants. I've read it's not hypothermia that kills people but drowning, but don't have any statistics on it. Maybe in this case the guy couldn't pull himself out of the water because the ice kept breaking and died from hypothermia.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 12, 2024, 04:08 AM »
ric i think were  both wrong  !!!! i found this

Search instead for do most people that fall threw the ice drown or die from hypotherma

Cold shock response is a series of neurogenic cardio-respiratory responses caused by sudden immersion in cold water. In cold water immersions, such as by falling through thin ice, cold shock response is perhaps the most common cause of death.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.