New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: north of the boarder?  (Read 829 times)

Offline huntdeertk

• IceShanty Rookie
north of the boarder?
« on: Dec 18, 2023, 11:25 AM »
anyone go up into Quebec to icefish? Looking for recommendations for guided trip/outfitter. Target would be pike or lake trout or anything bigger than 8 inch perch that my wife always wants me to keep. I dont even know what they catch up there. Thanks in advance

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: north of the boarder?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2023, 09:54 PM »
I was planning a trip for late Jan and pulled the plug and decided on moosehead lake in Maine.  I was going the do it yourself route and youtube had enough spot burning to come up with a solid game plan. 

Offline crappyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • no, it's not spelled wrong, I'm just not any good
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2023, 02:58 AM »
Squaw Lake Outfitters in Otter Lake Quebec has reasonable rates- the caveat is that Quebec limits trout fishing during the winter so you would be fishing brookies. They have a website that is in english or french.

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2024, 10:33 AM »
I fished near Otter Lake Quebec back in 1976, open water near the end of Black fly season.  The fish we caught were identical to brook trout, but were called red trout up there.  When opened up, they were fire engine red, best tasting  trout I've ever eaten, along with ADK pond brookies.  But they were also larger, all 14-22", except one 10 incher that was bleeding badly.  Walking in, we split the gear. Walking out, one guy carried all the gear, the other guy carried the fish wrapped in a damp towel, and the guy with the gear had the easier trek.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.