The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Frozen bait?  (Read 1044 times)

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
Frozen bait?
« on: Jan 05, 2023, 09:43 AM »
Does anyone know if any bait shops in the southern or mid lower peninsula sell frozen suckers, shiners, smelt, or Cisco?

Also has anyone bought bait live and then froze them with good results? I see people say you have to drown them in vodka or mouthwash? Idk

I like to throw out a rod and reel deadstick/ tip up to try to pick up bonus pike, but I hate dealing with buying big shiners or suckers and trying to keep them alive with bubblers. And also I often only have time to fish the evening bite window during the week and don't want to put a live fish out for that short of time. It would also be nice to have some stockpiled in the freezer to not have to run around to bait shops when the lake is right across the street lol

Here's a couple I got on live suckers last week when we still had ice 🫠

Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Frozen bait?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2023, 02:44 PM »
Can get smelt & other frozen bait sized fish from Asian grocery stores pretty cheap. They're about 3.00 / lb. near me.

Offline SpartySturg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2023, 04:26 PM »
Use a hot dog
Cheap and effective

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2023, 04:27 PM »
I checked one of the Asian groceries in ypsi on Washtenaw a few years ago and the closest thing I could find was a pack of mackerel, but they were quite large About 12". I did try soaking a couple of them on multiple occasions but no luck. Maybe I should check again, or check one of the other markets.
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2023, 05:33 PM »
Asian groceries are always good sources of frozen dead bait. Might not be a freshwater fish but will still do the trick. Do mind if your state has special certifications for bait fish, live or dead. Wisconsin does not but does require that they be preserved in a method other than "refrigeration or freezing".

Toward that end I salt brine. I've had to brine deads for decades to satisfy WI dead bait regs. This is successful for fresh dead or previously frozen bait to preserve ror long term storage.

I first pack 'em in salt for a couple/three days. Don't let 'em get too dried out. Then I put 'em in a HD ziploc with a supersaturated salt brine. Supersaturated is as much salt as will dissolve in a given amount of water (usually about 12 -13 ounces of salt to 1 liter cold water). Hot water dissolves more, as it cools crystals will precipitate out and re-dissolves as the water warms again. Close the bag as you squeeze the last bit of air out one corner. Pop 'em in yer freezer and pull out what you need. I do use a small plastic container to put the bags in in case one gets a leak. The heavy salt concentration will not let the bait or the brine freeze. But no worries, that bait is preserved for a long, long time. Plus it's always ready to hang on a hook, no thawing required.

Doesn't have to be fancy salt. Food graded is too expensive and provides no advantage. Unless you think your gonna get hungry 'cause you forgot a lunch... I scoop what I need from the solar salt in the water conditioner. Could be rock salt too. Just make sure there are no additives like if has iodine or something for an ice melt product. Added bonus is that salt does add some extra flavor and scent to the bait. I've had occasions, when the dead bite is on, I've had salted outfish "natural", once by 3 to 1. That was fun!

As far as your 12" mackerel, it's not to big. I've swung 15" Lake Superior herring and caught fish. OK, they were muskies but the smallest one was 39 inches so not out of line for pike bait if you're on good fish. Another option is to just buy bigger bait and cut 'em in half or to whatever size you feel appropriate. They don't care if it looks like a whole fish, it just needs to smell and taste good. They eat hot dogs for cryin' out loud...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2023, 05:50 PM »
Thanks for that info esox! I think I will try that salt regiment. I actually have caught some Cisco's in the 12inch range too and hung them on a tip up and had a hit and run but didn't get hooks in the fish. I know there are 40plus inch pike in the system I fish but I figure with a little smaller baits I'll get a little more action.

I actually think I might call a couple of the bait shops and see if they'll save me some suckers of big shiners when they die lol

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2023, 06:34 PM »
I actually think I might call a couple of the bait shops and see if they'll save me some suckers of big shiners when they die lol

I've done that before too!  ;)2 :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2023, 06:50 PM »
Ive never had any luck when using dead baits, the livelier the better ive always thought except when you start getting minnows over 10+ inches you gotta trim the tail or they pop flags
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2023, 07:08 PM »
gotta trim the tail or they pop flags

I put small perch out on occasion and always have to cut the tail, they're strong little buggers lol

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2023, 08:04 PM »
I checked one of the Asian groceries in ypsi on Washtenaw a few years ago and the closest thing I could find was a pack of mackerel, but they were quite large About 12". I did try soaking a couple of them on multiple occasions but no luck. Maybe I should check again, or check one of the other markets.

The one in Redford at Telegraph & Joy Road has around 2 dozen deep freezers packed full.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.