The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Am i the only one?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Am i the only one?
« on: Dec 29, 2022, 08:19 PM »
I dont buy really expensive rods for ice fishing, 60$ combos is about as pricey as i get, i always seem to break a rod every year and with my luck it would be the expensive one lol, am i the only one that is like this?
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Am i the only one?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2022, 04:09 AM »
I would say it's all personal preference. I have rods ranging from $15 to $130. Would I be upset if I broke the expensive one,? Yes...but I would get over it...and probably not buy another. Inexpensive rods? I'd replace. No problem.

Btw...sent you a PM.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2022, 06:16 AM »
I don't buy real high end rods either. I'm too hard on them to justify the cost, between breaking them and losing them into the drink. I'm better on ice rods than open water, but I still don't go real expensive on them.

$25-ish for a rod or $50 for a combo is about my upper limit on ice rods. For open water gear $50 is about my upper limit for a rod, and about the same on reels.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2022, 07:00 AM »
Same here. A few of my rods are "repaired" at the tip.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2022, 10:38 AM »
Pm replied ice, i figured i wasnt, but with the lack of ice i have ti make some conversation lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2022, 10:41 AM »
Pm replied ice, i figured i wasnt, but with the lack of ice i have ti make some conversation lol

Thank you sir. All set.  ;)

Offline TFish57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2022, 01:25 PM »
3 or 4 of my ice rods are actually repurposed broken soft water rods. I have a hard time throwing anything out!
If you’re not fishin, you’re wishin.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2022, 05:22 PM »
All of my open water rods & anything I use for Hardwater, with the exception of my Smelt fishing, is all cheaper rods/reels. My  3 Smelt rods are all Custom made 58" Patriot rods. At $60.00 each, they are not bank account breakers but I treat them like they are. If they were to get damaged,they would be replaced w/ the same thing, only because I take my Smelt fishing so seriously  ;D
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2022, 05:40 PM »
All of my open water rods & anything I use for Hardwater, with the exception of my Smelt fishing, is all cheaper rods/reels. My  3 Smelt rods are all Custom made 58" Patriot rods. At $60.00 each, they are not bank account breakers but I treat them like they are. If they were to get damaged,they would be replaced w/ the same thing, only because I take my Smelt fishing so seriously  ;D

I had read in another "site" that you used the longer rods for Smelt. Therefore, I have dedicated my Elliot Evolution 44" UL with an Ice Stong .020 wire (perfect for a Hali and adjustable), paired with a Pflueger President 20 reel. Have plenty of Smelt Factory jig leaders tied up. Just waiting on ice. Gull Lake 2023  :thumbsup:

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2022, 06:07 PM »
I use a spring bobber I could use a old stick and still catch fish. But I only fish for panfish.

Offline icecats

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2023, 10:34 AM »
I started too cheap and ended up with rods without threads to hold the reels on. They always fall off at the worst time. Worth it to spend a few extra $$ to hold the reel on.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2023, 02:26 PM »
All my ice fishing rods are cheap. To many variables to buy expensive rods, such as sled tipping over going down an embankment, wind blowing over the shanty, slipping and falling on the ice, hard bouncy rides across the ice, fish pulling the rod into the hole and whatever else that doesn't come to mind at the moment. So....it will always be cheap for me.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2023, 02:56 PM »
I do not own a icefishing rod or reel combo over 30$ however, i have some really expensive open water rods and reels.i find i dont need speciality rods for pulling a fish thru a hole in the ice.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2023, 05:01 PM »
3 or 4 of my ice rods are actually repurposed broken soft water rods. I have a hard time throwing anything out!

That,s what I started with but, since I fish in the open, rods with big eyes work a lot better. I have a bunch of cheap rods. For the sliding seat rings a wrap or 2 of duct tape comes in handy(Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should find you handy!! ;D0
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline CWlake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2023, 11:27 AM »
I'm not bragging here but I paid $170 for a 40" noodle rod and reel for my grandson this year for Christmas. I'm a different story. My two favorite rods are over 70 years old. One was handed down, and the other was bought at a flea market. My grandson thinks he can out-fish me, but he still has a lot to learn. Patience being high on his list!

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2023, 12:12 PM »
Your Grandson will cherish it forever.  Mine turned 14 in September.  This past summer he acquired patience like someone flipped a switch.  FINALLY
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Online zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2023, 12:20 PM »

That was most of the ice rods we used when I was a kid. My Dad just glued the ends of broken rods into a chunk of dowel and taped the reels on  ;D I still have a couple of them, but haven't used them in years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.