The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Yellow Perch!!! Update w/Fact Check :)  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Yellow Perch!!! Update w/Fact Check :)
« on: Feb 23, 2019, 05:55 PM »
A Few decent ones today! These are 11 to just under 15”. Probably 20 0r so more 9 - 11. Filleting will be going on in the morning! Left a few smaller for the eagles. The locals are really liking these fish and are worried they might get stunted. I’ll do what can!  These are the best eating fresh water fish in Maine!!! :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Yellow Perch!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:09 PM »

Great catch clamfarmer

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Great catch clamfarmer
Muskrat Bay.  ;D ;)2 :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:19 PM »
Perch like that are a blast jigging.  I assume that's how you caught them.

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:26 PM »
Fatties

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2019, 06:29 PM »
Perch like that are a blast jigging.  I assume that's how you caught them.
Most on traps.... Expected it to be slow and spotty. Jigging was preferred but didn’t mark many fish. I put tip-ups out to hedge the bet. They were the answer for the most part! A couple locals came by and told me they sometimes do very well jigging but had caught only pickerel and a skinny salmon all day. Haven’t chased flags in a while. Was fun! Did catch a nice smallie and 8 or so perch jigging.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Wow, a 15” perch is a beast! I don’t think I’ve caught even a 14” one yet, and that new record holder is 16.5... yikes!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:24 PM »
Wow, a 15” perch is a beast! I don’t think I’ve caught even a 14” one yet, and that new record holder is 16.5... yikes!

I was on the same lake. A local regular there said bigger than the record have been caught jus not submitted. Nice fillets coming up!!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:35 PM »
I was on the same lake. A local regular there said bigger than the record have been caught jus not submitted. Nice fillets coming up!!!
Wait, which lake is that? I’ll do my part in keeping numbers down to keep the fishery healthy lol (actually I’m almost all C&R) I think I’ve only seen fish like that in videos of cascade lake in Idaho.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:36 PM »
That 15”er is a beast. Well done
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:35 PM »
13.5 is a nice sized perch . Did you get any pics of the 15"???

Offline redmerle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:27 PM »
do you ever bread and fry the roe along with the fillets you get? its pretty tasty. Roll the roe in batter and deep fry it. yum.
used to do that in WI.

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:31 PM »

The tape clearly pushes that fish past 14 inches. Blast some gas out your as.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:37 PM »
Well... it does look like the the mouth is lined up more starting on the 1 and not the end of the tape, but is that due to angle of the camera or the “fisherman’s measurement” rule.

Offline fred skalanga

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Nice haul, I like em batter fried myself. 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2019, 02:03 AM »
I would note I said “Just under 15”. I believe over 14 is just under 15 or close enough. Next time I’ll try to remember my micrometer. I don’t want to sound or appear trumpish. Bu then you’re ok with that “exaggerator”  :woot: :roflmao: :icefish:
The tape clearly pushes that fish past 14 inches. Blast some gas out your as.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2019, 04:09 AM »
The nose of the fish is just shy of the 1 inch mark and the tail is just past the 14 making it just over 13 . On the blue tape pic the fish is clearly between 16.5 inch to the 29.5 inch making it 13 . No micrometer needed just an open eye.

Yep 13.5 at best . Still a very nice fish . 15" is fake news !! We all know you love your fake news

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2019, 05:21 AM »
I didn't notice the tail fins pushed together. So that would give him about another half inch. That's how you measure a fish to decide if it is keeper length or too small. Look in the rule book. Either way great fish. Leave the guy alone.
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2019, 05:40 AM »
The nose of the fish is just shy of the 1 inch mark and the tail is just past the 14 making it just over 13 . On the blue tape pic the fish is clearly between 16.5 inch to the 29.5 inch making it 13 . No micrometer needed just an open eye.
Yep 13.5 at best . Still a very nice fish . 15" is fake news !! We all know you love your fake news

They looked bigger when I caught them (  ;D :woot: :whistle: ), 8 total like these. A little excited and wide-eyed, apparently. So in the interest of real news, which some should try more, I did the right thing and did a more patient and real look at them. Same fish as the other pics. Here ya go!!! 

This was was IFW measured and weighed from the same pond about 300 yards from where I was. 16.5 and not quite 2#. The locals say they’ve seen bigger and no one really targets them except one guy I talked too that lives on the pond, Said he saw one 2.5 lbs.  I’ll get the 15’s!  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Re: Yellow Perch!!! Update w/Fact Check :)
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2019, 06:23 AM »
They looked bigger when I caught them (  ;D :woot: :whistle: ), 8 total like these. A little excited and wide-eyed, apparently. So in the interest of real news, which some should try more, I did the right thing and did a more patient and real look at them. Same fish as the other pics. Here ya go!!! 
(Image removed from quote.)

This was was IFW measured and weighed from the same pond about 300 yards from where I was. 16.5 and not quite 2#. The locals say they’ve seen bigger and no one really targets them except one guy I talked too that lives on the pond, Said he saw one 2.5 lbs.  I’ll get the 15’s!  :thumbsup: :icefish:
(Image removed from quote.)

Again read the text on the blue tape .  It tells you were the zero is and it's not where you lined up the fish.  Hard to resist adding a half inch I guess .   Either way great fish and I hope you connect with a record in there . Good luck

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2019, 06:38 AM »
Again read the text on the blue tape .  It tells you were the zero is and it's not where you lined up the fish.  Hard to resist adding a half inch I guess .   Either way great fish and I hope you connect with a record in there . Good luck
HAHAHA! It’s a T-Square. The biggest fish’s nose if touching the T. I’m fairly sure the inch measurements start EXACTLY AT THE “T” JUNCTURE,  BUT, whatever! Not looking for the or any
 record, just meat. Best eating freshwater. fish in The State of Maine!!

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:00 AM »
Joe, Those perch are jumbos! I agree that yellow perch are great eating. I mostly target salmon and trout now.

Growing up in VT as a kid we use to get perch like that on Champlain. My Grampa had a huge shanty with benches each side with a race hole down the middle. A board on each side with lines that hung off coat hangers so you watch for bites. Someone mentioned the egg sacks and we use to batter them and cook in oil as well. Good eats enjoy!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:04 AM »
They ALWAYS look bigger when you catch them! I go through my bucket wondering where that big one went off to

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:04 AM »
  Great catch clamfarmer. That will make a tasty meal. Big yellows like that are super scrappy. Must have been a blast to catch.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:07 AM »
Joe, Those perch are jumbos! I agree that yellow perch are great eating. I mostly target salmon and trout now.
Growing up in VT as a kid we use to get perch like that on Champlain. My Grampa had a huge shanty with benches each side with a race hole down the middle. A board on each side with lines that hung off coat hangers so you watch for bites. Someone mentioned the egg sacks and we use to batter them and cook in oil as well. Good eats enjoy!

Yeah! The eggs are great! Having some later!!!

I used to fish for them on Oneida in NY. Usually for food and sometimes, on really good days for money. Caught over 250# one day. 5 onion sacks and sled full! There’s a 50 fish limit there now.

Last I knew the NY Record came out of Seneca and was over 3#.

I stopped targeting salmonids years ago. Don’t eat em and don’t want to kill them. I  do catch some by accident on occasion and pickled a couple small togue in wine sauce along with some whitefish I caught a couple weeks ago.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2019, 07:10 AM »
  Great catch clamfarmer. That will make a tasty meal. Big yellows like that are super scrappy. Must have been a blast to catch.

Jigging was really slow. It was fun chasing flags for a change! I actually ran out of the bait i brought and had to go back to the truck for more. HAHA.

Didn’t really plan on the tip-up thing, but heard it could be slow, so the back up plan worked out!!

Gonna go again tomorrow afternoon, if things work out with stuff I have to do around here.  :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.