Author Topic: lost Larry  (Read 3944 times)

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
lost Larry
« on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Got this little dude over 50' of water 2' below the ice on a smelt, what's even stranger, first one I've ever got in this lake (I know they were there, I just don't target them)and I've been fishing it since 1980.

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lost Larry
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:48 PM »
sounds like a crappy story.  ;)
Salmonemia

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:56 PM »
Looks like a good one too! I guess no one ever told him he isn’t supposed to be there...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:01 PM »
Looks like a good one too! I guess no one ever told him he isn’t supposed to be there...
I've said it many times, fish don't read books,  I catch alot of different species that way.,especially as it gets later in the season. .

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:02 PM »
sounds like a crappy story.  ;)
LOL!

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:15 PM »
that's pretty cool.  Not typical to catch them right under the ice like that I wouldnt think

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 01:35 PM »
Caught a 3 lb. largemouth on a mealworm on a #10 hook just under the ice in 30 feet of water. CD, PoolGuy and Guniea were witnesses. You never know.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:09 PM »
She wasn't lost... just one of the smart ones, she knows how to get fat on trout and salmon lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:20 PM »
That’s odd!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Roccus.. totally agree. My buddy targeting whites/yellows caught about a 3.5lb laker in 40 ft on the smallest maki type jig that was half the size of my pinky nail.. and he landed it.. he said it took about 4 minutes for the jig to get down through the water column cause it was so small and light... you just never know what hits and when. Cool catch though..and he beat me in our wager with that stupid thing so I got smoked! what!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:41 PM »
that's pretty cool.  Not typical to catch them right under the ice like that I wouldnt think
I've caught quite a few through the years just under the ice, especially late season,  but never in this lake..

I got one about 10 years ago that was 8 lbs in Mass. Fishing for brood stock salmon, I had a guy threaten to beat me up when I released it because I wouldn't give it to him.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:32 PM »

I got one about 10 years ago that was 8 lbs in Mass. Fishing for brood stock salmon, I had a guy threaten to beat me up when I released it because I wouldn't give it to him.

LMAO  ;D

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:49 PM »
What’s weird that late in the day we will put them under the ice in shallow waters but 50 feet is pretty neat..club for sure
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Nice job Joe. I cannot comment about that body of water because you are the pro there for sure but i can tell you that i was catching bucket mouths the same way the other day. 30 feet of water and they were just under the ice. I know for sure the full moon has a factor with it though. Between the 3 of us we caught about 15 bass that way.  As you always say, they are fish after all and they cannot read books.

Jmamos
We caught 5 lakers last week on 3mm tungstens as you mentioned. They arent always chasing fish.....
Just add water.

Offline minnowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waiting for the big behuba
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2019, 02:25 AM »
I once had a 4lb largemouth come up into the hole to take a bait that was dead lying on the surface!  don't think I will see that again.
when hell freezes over, I'll be icefishing there too!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:36 AM »
Nice job Joe. I cannot comment about that body of water because you are the pro there for sure but i can tell you that i was catching bucket mouths the same way the other day. 30 feet of water and they were just under the ice. I know for sure the full moon has a factor with it though. Between the 3 of us we caught about 15 bass that way.  As you always say, they are fish after all and they cannot read books.

Jmamos
We caught 5 lakers last week on 3mm tungstens as you mentioned. They arent always chasing fish.....
I've caught many through the years tight to the ice, it's just the irony of all the hours on this particular lake I had never caught one, not even in spots you might expect a straggler..
But this whole tight to the ice fishing brings me to something  I feel strongly about,  I don't use hole covers, I don't like them, that being said, dislike is not the reason ( i carry waaaay tp much crap already, i dont need more crap to fuss with)I don't use them, fish are curious creatures, it is my belief, they are attracted to those beams of light shining down, so many times. I've had bait fish ( mostly smelt)swim up into the holes, and where there is bait... well, dinner is served

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2019, 09:47 AM »
I've caught quite a few through the years just under the ice, especially late season,  but never in this lake..

Pssshhh....He probly wanted to stuff it and tell everyone he caught it. An 8lber musta been a nice surprise.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:30 AM »
Pssshhh....He probly wanted to stuff it and tell everyone he caught it. An 8lber musta been a nice surprise.
It's started  with his kid,when I said I was releasing it the kid started throwing a tantrum, the father came over and demanded to know why I put it back when his son clearly wanted it, when I told him to catch it himself he said I ought to kick your XXX, I told him he could try, but what would his son think seeing his father with his head in a ice fishing hole with just his feet sticking out, now I'm 5'0 150 lbs,he must have figured  either I was really stupid or really tough, I guess the statement was enough to cast a shadow of a doubt as to what the outcome might be...he went back to his holes and I pulled a 26" bloodstock out of the same one a short time latter,  he came over and drilled all around me, after I got my second one I picked up and went home, all the while smirking to myself , he never did figure out if was fishing just under the ice.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:26 AM »
It's started  with his kid,when I said I was releasing it the kid started throwing a tantrum, the father came over and demanded to know why I put it back when his son clearly wanted it, when I told him to catch it himself he said I ought to kick your XXX, I told him he could try, but what would his son think seeing his father with his head in a ice fishing hole with just his feet sticking out, now I'm 5'0 150 lbs,he must have figured  either I was really stupid or really tough ...

Or crazy, haha! People suck, what can you say...

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Oh man, I woulda had a talking to with my son about how every man catches his own fish. Not threatened you lol

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Oh man, I woulda had a talking to with my son about how every man catches his own fish. Not threatened you lol

He said he was in Mass though.

Jk Joe  ;) well not really some of you are awesome though  ;D

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:01 PM »
I'd rather fight a big guy than a little guy. You little guys are nuts.  :flex:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:04 PM »
Gotta be. Gotta make the first couple count cause there won’t be a chance to let off

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Gotta be. Gotta make the first couple count cause there won’t be a chance to let off

Once the big guy is on the ground it is all even.  ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:16 PM »
Unless he’s on top  :o ;D ;) :tipup:

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:41 PM »
He said he was in Mass though.

Jk Joe  ;) well not really some of you are awesome though  ;D
Yup typical Mass hole... anyway, I took plenty of lumps growing up, win some loose some,,but my old man had a saying (one of many) most  critters don't mess with a skunk, YES they might be able to best it, but it's just not worth the cost,  same thing with messing with a little spit fire. You might kick his butt, but it'll cost ya, it was a good life's lesson,now adays, the kids would need 6 months of therapy to solve something we settled in the school yard Mano y mano in 5 minutes ...anyways these days there ain't no more fire ..just spit!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 20, 2019, 12:47 PM »
Men are like dogs... the ones that bark a lot are typically the last ones to bite. It's usually the quiet dude standing back assessing the situation that is going to be the one throwing hands...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:05 PM »
Yup typical Mass hole... anyway, I took plenty of lumps growing up, win some loose some,,but my old man had a saying (one of many) most  critters don't mess with a skunk, YES they might be able to best it, but it's just not worth the cost,  same thing with messing with a little spit fire. You might kick his butt, but it'll cost ya, it was a good life's lesson,now adays, the kids would need 6 months of therapy to solve something we settled in the school yard Mano y mano in 5 minutes ...anyways these days there ain't no more fire ..just spit!

Ha! I love it!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Men are like dogs... the ones that bark a lot are typically the last ones to bite. It's usually the quiet dude standing back assessing the situation that is going to be the one throwing hands...

No doubt

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #29 on: Feb 20, 2019, 01:09 PM »
I'd rather fight a big guy than a little guy. You little guys are nuts.  :flex:

Got to be a "little" nuts thats how we short guys make it thru life.  ;)2 :whistle:

Nice Bass by the way lost or not.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.