Author Topic: Marcum recon 5 or 5+?  (Read 2697 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Marcum recon 5 or 5+?
« on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:15 PM »
What are the differences, and is it worth spending the extra $125 for the plus?

Offline earlyrise

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Marcum recon 5 or 5+?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:29 AM »
From what I read is 5+ has option to record videos and has video outputs and sd slot if that interests you.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:57 AM »
Marcum 5 is the camera and lighting only. Marcum 5+ has the ability to show direction of the camera, water temp at the camera and record plus the ability to record your video onto a SD card.  You can also take still pictures from the video. 

Is it worth it, that is up to you.  I was thinking the same thing you are now, and I purchased the 5+.  I don't make videos or care about that.  Pictures are not what I need.  I wanted the added features of telling me what direction the camera was pointing so I can determine where the school is moving.  Water temp is a good indicator of a thermocline.  That could tell you about where the fish are hanging out.  Its not something I have figured out how to use yet.  I use the camera mainly to find weeds, what state the weeds are in and if there are fish down below.  Once I find them, I use my flasher.  If no activity below after a while, I turn the camera on and see if the fish are not responding to my jig/color/bait, my jig is spinning like a helicopter, or if they have moved away.  Battery lasts about 6-8 hours depending on how you are using it.

The camera is clear in stained water, and the options of the light levels and IR light show the bait and fish up well on the display.  All cameras are hard to see when outside, so this can be an issue.  I use mine when inside the huts.  Cloudy days are best to use it outside.  If sunny, you just need to shield yourself from the sun, then the display is good enough to see your jig and the fish. 

I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:11 AM »
The last I knew with the record function of the Marcums  Recon units was that it used an antiqued format QuickTime I believe ..may want to check on that via Email/Phone call to Marcum.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2019, 11:50 AM »
I had the 5+ briefly. None of the additional functions like direction or depth gauge worked properly and I was not planning to use the recording function.

Returned my unit.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2019, 02:42 PM »
 I had the Marcum Recon 5 since November. It recently started to get blue screens and although it was past the return window, Amazon was nice enough to offer a replacement or a refund. I went with the refund.  For the most part, I enjoyed using it, but I figure this was an opportunity to upgrade. I considered the Recon 5+, as I too wanted the extra directional indicator that the 5 lacked. The .avi video format, poor cable management and size caused me to consider the Aqua-Vu Micro Revolution 5 Pro. I just got it a few days ago and couldn't be more pleased. It is so much more compact and lighter weight than the Recon, eventhough they both have the same screen size. The cable reel management system is awesome! Cable is 10 feet longer and it has a wider camera view too.  Fully waterproof for kayaking in the summer. Video files are in .mp4. Other little bonus features include having the cover turn off the unit, easy access magnetic charging/transfer port, camera storage and trolling fin for the summer.

One additional note, the customer service at Aqua-Vu has been great to deal with. I noticed their product page shows a rebate offer for the Micro Mobile Pro Viewing case and mobile charger (a $59 value). I clicked on the printable rebate form and the offer expired back on January 15th. I emailed customer support and they honored the rebate and are shipping me the case and charger.  ;D

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:25 AM »
I had the Marcum Recon 5 since November. It recently started to get blue screens and although it was past the return window, Amazon was nice enough to offer a replacement or a refund. I went with the refund.  For the most part, I enjoyed using it, but I figure this was an opportunity to upgrade. I considered the Recon 5+, as I too wanted the extra directional indicator that the 5 lacked. The .avi video format, poor cable management and size caused me to consider the Aqua-Vu Micro Revolution 5 Pro. I just got it a few days ago and couldn't be more pleased. It is so much more compact and lighter weight than the Recon, eventhough they both have the same screen size. The cable reel management system is awesome! Cable is 10 feet longer and it has a wider camera view too.  Fully waterproof for kayaking in the summer. Video files are in .mp4. Other little bonus features include having the cover turn off the unit, easy access magnetic charging/transfer port, camera storage and trolling fin for the summer.

One additional note, the customer service at Aqua-Vu has been great to deal with. I noticed their product page shows a rebate offer for the Micro Mobile Pro Viewing case and mobile charger (a $59 value). I clicked on the printable rebate form and the offer expired back on January 15th. I emailed customer support and they honored the rebate and are shipping me the case and charger.  ;D

I too use my Revolution 5 Pro on my kayak. If you're looking for a solid mounting system, I added a RAM Mount Aluminum Male Camera Thread 0.25-20 on 1 inch Ball,
RAM Mount Plastic Double 1 inch Socket Swivel Arm RAP-B-200-2U, and finally another 1" RAM ball that works with my kayak's track system.

I got the case that you're talking about from the rebate and it's ok, but using it means not using the reel feature, so I haven't used it much. I can see the benefit if you're basically scouting on the move all day. I mounted my camera with my graph, so I can use both at the same time or take the camera off and use it to scout.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2019, 01:05 PM »
I too use my Revolution 5 Pro on my kayak. If you're looking for a solid mounting system, I added a RAM Mount Aluminum Male Camera Thread 0.25-20 on 1 inch Ball,
RAM Mount Plastic Double 1 inch Socket Swivel Arm RAP-B-200-2U, and finally another 1" RAM ball that works with my kayak's track system.

I got the case that you're talking about from the rebate and it's ok, but using it means not using the reel feature, so I haven't used it much. I can see the benefit if you're basically scouting on the move all day. I mounted my camera with my graph, so I can use both at the same time or take the camera off and use it to scout.

Thanks for the kayak tip. Since it only has the mounting point on the top of the unit, I wondered how I was going to rig it to my kayak. Yea, the case will be used mainly for storage, scouting, and protection when traveling.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2019, 03:47 PM »
I ordered the Aqua view Micro Revolution Pro 5. For it for $300 shipped with travel case and car charger ($40-60 accessory). Excited to try it.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2019, 05:05 PM »
The sad part is that as far as I know, I’m pretty sure the Marcum’s and the Aqua-Vu’s are made by the same parent company.

I’ve been looking at getting a small portable camera too and it was between the Marcum’s and the Aqua-Vu’s. I’m going with Aqua-Vu.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.