The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Hub shack deep snow  (Read 3350 times)

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
Hub shack deep snow
« on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:41 PM »
How do you guys set up your hubs in the deep snow?  Do you shovel down and then anchor close to the ice or do you just use straps around the hubs and snow over the flaps?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Hub shack deep snow
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:45 PM »
I bring a shovel and shovel out a 10x10 space. then set up the hub shanty so its anchored to the ice. then I put snow all around on the flap to keep the wind out.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:35 AM »
I shovel out the area of my pop up then put down pine bows then cover it with a water proof canvas tarp then the pop up goes up I run my lp gas line from the 20 lb tank under the flaps to the inside for the heater on a stable box then cover the flaps with snow. Cots and h.d. sleeping bags we stay right there for the weekend. I have an insulated fatfish double so I put a tarp on top so if it snows it melts and the water won't run in the windows.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:44 AM »
I shovel out the area of my pop up then put down pine bows then cover it with a water proof canvas tarp then the pop up goes up I run my lp gas line from the 20 lb tank under the flaps to the inside for the heater on a stable box then cover the flaps with snow. Cots and h.d. sleeping bags we stay right there for the weekend. I have an insulated fatfish double so I put a tarp on top so if it snows it melts and the water won't run in the windows.
Seems like that cuts hard into fishing time. hehe
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2019, 09:47 AM »
No way, the best part about deep snow is having CATHEDRAL CEILINGS!! I set it up on top of the snow and then dig the inside out. Works awesome!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Bosshog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Nope, we've got it down pretty good through out the day waiting for flags in between jogging, same way when we tear it down on the last day, usually 3 or 4 of us everyone pitches in, what's really nice is wake up and start fishing... Don't have to load sleds or pack lunches it's all right there.
Bait goes on the hook... hook goes in the water...smelt is in the water...OUR SMELT!!!

Offline Fishhead680

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2019, 11:17 AM »
Never thought about trying the 'cathedral ceilings' - sounds cool!

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:07 PM »
No way, the best part about deep snow is having CATHEDRAL CEILINGS!! I set it up on top of the snow and then dig the inside out. Works awesome!
How do you anchor it on the snow?

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2019, 07:16 PM »
Long pieces of rebar bent over at the top to make a stake
Fishing is easy. Catching is the hard part.

Offline coolasice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2019, 10:20 PM »
Long pieces of rear bent over at the rop

Say what?

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2019, 04:56 AM »

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:11 AM »
Seems like more gear and weight to lug around. I wonder if just cutting 20”ish sticks from local dead wood tied to the stake loops and buried and stomped into the snow horizontally would work.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:15 AM »
I was just giving an idea. but, I like yours better clam farmer.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:59 AM »
The higher up you have them the more wind resistance. Not fun to chase one out into open water a few miles away!!!

Offline Linedogg104

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:04 AM »
That's a fact my friend! I put mine right on bare ice and build snow walls around it. I hate wind and chasing gear around.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2019, 07:27 AM »

How do you clime in and out of the door? There’s the skirt in the way you’d have to try and step up and over without ripping anything or making it very drafty with a ditch in the snow leading right under your tent.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Seems like more gear and weight to lug around. I wonder if just cutting 20”ish sticks from local dead wood tied to the stake loops and buried and stomped into the snow horizontally would work.

With all that gear and work why even go!
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:48 AM »
How do you anchor it on the snow?

No different as glare ice, anchor all the exterior hubs down with cam lock straps to the ice. The 4 interior anchors are usually less of an issue with deep snow since it will all pile up around the skirt, but even so, the interior straps are adjustable, extend them to full and anchor them to the ice.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:52 AM »

How do you clime in and out of the door? There’s the skirt in the way you’d have to try and step up and over without ripping anything or making it very drafty with a ditch in the snow leading right under your tent.

All you are doing is digging out the inside, the outside stays at the right height. So you step up out of the door onto the snow pack outside the hub.

Obviously if there is 5 feet of snow this wouldn't work, but with a foot or two as is usually the case on wind blown lakes, I just dig the inside while the skirt of the shanty stays on top of the snow. You step up to the level of the snow outside of the hub.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2019, 08:57 AM »
If you do that when you drill a hole you will have a pool of water under your feet. If a pressure crack passes under water will seep up . sounds like a good way to let your bait swim around your feet.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:06 AM »
My thoughts too......seems like a lot of wasted effort.

You can shovel out the square, or just place it on top of the snow. Shoveling sometimes will fill your square with water if you drill holes in the shack. If you leave the snow it doesnt fill and give you good footing. We did both this past weekend and the snow option was by far the better choice.

Seems like that cuts hard into fishing time. hehe

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2019, 09:26 AM »
In the hub I don't often fish in the shack. It's more of a place to sit and watch the tips and warm up. I treat it like base camp. Get some food and drink, warm up and then head back out to fish. When I'm gonna jig I more often will use my flip over and nothing get's dug out there.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2019, 10:00 AM »
Your not a jigger???   

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:54 PM »
Your not a jigger???

Not all the time. When I am fishing warmwater lakes I will more often tip up fish. Coldwater lakes I will always be jigging.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:56 PM »
Not all the time. When I am fishing warmwater lakes I will more often tip up fish. Coldwater lakes I will always be jigging.
Exact opposite for me lol. Unless I’m after trout or pike, I hardly ever set any traps. I only jig and tend to keep moving from hole to hole every few mins when I’m after panfish/bass.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 19, 2019, 03:42 PM »
The jig sticks I made with alumin arrows  really work great when im jigging more then one hole when I get a hit on the jig stick they tip them over and noise is a great alarm of them dragging across ice from where I stand it in a snow bank . gives me a chance to use a jig that will not fit down a hole like a rod and reel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.