Author Topic: Multiple hooks  (Read 1485 times)

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Multiple hooks
« on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:30 PM »
How many of you guys run multiple hooks?  My go to anymore us a tungsten on the bottom with a fly or weighted fly above typically on a loop not for a little more action.   This is the setup I ran last weekend that put about 100 topside with many to swim again.  It's tied on 2lb ASSO Diamond which I love, I think even more than the old Stren hiviz gold.  These jigs are larger than I normally use.  The tungsten is a 5 and the hand tied fly is on a big long shank hook, not sure of exact size.  Red thread, gold tungsten head, and clear polish.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Multiple hooks
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:34 PM »
I think i'll try that set up this weekend. Thanks

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:43 PM »
A classic set up, always seems to get their attention. I've used it a lot for Perch and often had the larger ones go for the upper fly.

I remember as a kid on Cape Cod, we used to fish for (salt water) Cod fish with a similar rig. It had a 1 or 2 pound Swedish Pimple on the bottom and a 6 inch feather fly about 30 inches above it. It was really something to get two 20-30 pound Cod on a hand line in 70 feet of water.  But, that was the old days before the draggers killed off the big schools of Cod fish (1965-66).

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:57 PM »
I really like it.  Get a lot of reaction strikes at the top especially when there's competition.   Last weekend they would be sitting at the bottom  hook and then one would race up to the top.  Most of my crappie come on the upper hook.  The only down size is that it creates a week point in the line.  I've only lost one this year but have broke off at the top knot several times pulling bigger fish onto the ice.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2019, 01:59 PM »
I haven't had any doubles this year but usually end up with several.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:08 PM »
Not sure why I stopped doing his but used to run similar setup on my longer noodle rod. Picked up fish on baitless fly often
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:15 PM »
have in past.  top hook gets caught on hole sometimes when fighting a fish on bottom hook.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2019, 02:24 PM »
What Scum said that's the reason I quit running that type set up! Hex

Offline finfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2019, 03:46 PM »
I used to use stren hi vis and sometimes tied on a 2# leader and sometimes not.  What are your thoughts about hi vis line and no leaders?  Especially in clear water...

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2019, 04:15 PM »
I typically don't fish real clear water.  I most likely wouldn't change unless the bite dictated it.  As far as getting hung up on the hole, yes it does happen but I'm typically watching the hole pretty close at that moment.

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:22 PM »
Has anyone run this with palomar knot to the fly and the bottom jug tied to the tag? Or is that loop/dropper needed for the action

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2019, 06:52 PM »
I've run it both ways.  Not sure I have a preference but if I have an un weighted fly above I prefer the loop.

Offline TeacherPreacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:53 AM »
I switch back and forth. I use a small wet fly on top. Usually with no bait. Yes, get hung up now and then but if you drop it back down usually comes unhooked.
Teach
Teacher Preacher
Life is short! Do all that you love to do as often as you can with those that you love!

Offline Jctracker17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Love that rig, it is a great way to give them options. I love using a larger jig on bottom and a small fly on top and if I really notice them going for one or the other I will use a single rig with that so that I'm not getting hung on the bottom of the hole like previously said.

Offline ICEOHIO22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2019, 08:19 PM »
You guys are right about the hook getting caught on the ice. So I was fishing doc siders a couple years ago and could only get bit on a no bait fly but it took so long to get down to the fish so I put a 8 inch leader line under my fly with a split shot on it the bottom. And I fished it it like a drop shot and tore them up. Keep the split in the mud and just jiggle the fly.keep it in mind

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2019, 05:44 AM »
the drop shot also adds to the attraction if pounded on bottom.  sound travels far and can bring them to you. the silt plum mite get them exited too.  for searching perch its a killer, but my "shot" it a ball head jig n plastic.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.