Author Topic: Little Squam question  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Little Squam question
« on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:32 AM »
Hi guys. I'm headed up to Squam next week for a few days, staying at Cottage Place on Little Squam. I've been there a few times in the summer but have never ice fished there. From what I've gathered that area can be anywhere from 5 to 50 feet deep.
Just wondering what I should target if I fish that area of Little Squam. I don't have a machine so I will probably stay relatively close to that beach by the main road.
Here in CT I usually target pike, but I have a flasher and have targeted lakers and other trout in the past. What would you suggest fishing for in that area? Any suggestions are appreciated so I can get my gear ready this week and put my kids on some fish.

Offline African white rhino

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Little Squam question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:42 AM »
What do you catch in the summer?

Thats what i would target....

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Haven't fished there in the summer. Went to a wedding there once, and the other time just swimming and riding around with the wife and kids. I'm more of a saltwater guy in the summer as I live on the coast.

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2019, 01:54 PM »
I live within a few miles of your destination and have fished Squam for forty years. Its a patience lake.(except for salmon) I would try the right side of the cove (Evans Cove) There is a house with a deck I believe its grey and there is a sand bar with a brook that empties into the cove. Good place to try shallow fishing for rainbows or even brook trout. A little deeper out you will find yellow perch.at the end of the cove you may get a Laker
 or salmon which as you know must be released. Salmon eggs or worms for the brook trout or rainbows on bottom ,Small shiners for anything else. Good luck and tight lines.
There must be a twelve step program for this

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:30 PM »
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.  :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2019, 10:09 AM »
Anyone ever catch cusk out of Little Squam? I know it's listed as a lake you can use cusk lines, and I'm going to bring a few along, but are they commonly caught there?

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2019, 12:03 PM »
You can get them on cusk lines on LS but I find a lot of perch rob your bait or hook themselves. I have pretty good success jigging for them after sunset however.
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2019, 12:26 PM »
never fished little squam, but the way I approach any new lake is to look at satellite view, mapping s/w, & state bathy maps.

satellite gives you good idea on access, water clarity, shallow structure (google maps>satellite view or google earth)

mapping s/w gives you deep structure: points, humps, holes, saddles, inside turns, etc. (webapp.navionics.com or download the app)

bathy maps help confirm mapping s/w (both not always accurate) & gives added info on fish, stocking, etc.

there's some good looking stuff on little squam....and it sticks out like a sore thumb....

good luck!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2019, 12:27 PM »
You’ll weed through a ton of tinkers before you get any eaters. It’ll be a fun experience for you though if new to it.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 04:00 PM »
That's what I was thinking AA. Never caught cusk before, the lines are simple to throw together, and you can leave them out overnight... so why not try?
Thanks for the replies and info hottuna and jigmaster. We'll see how it goes. :tipup:

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Go east towards Holderness from where you are staying to where the rock wall parallels the road and set up your cusk lines about fifty
 feet from shore.Use large shiners.
There must be a twelve step program for this

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:51 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I brought 3 cusk lines and got 9 cusk in 2 days. Will definitely set more lines next time.
No luck with the bows or brookies in shallow, but my daughter got a nice 25" laker on the jig rod, and lots of perch to keep us busy. Slow going on the tipups but my 5 YO got a nice smallie just over 2 lbs.
I have to admit that I was a lil turned off by the 2 hooks per guy law in NH, but I feel like the cusk traps kind of evened it out. At least you guys have options in NH. Down here I'm about to uncover the boat.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.