Author Topic: Otter or Jet Sled?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter or Jet Sled?
« on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:43 PM »
I’m in the market for a new sled of approximately 25”x50”.  It will be pulled by hand.  I was wondering if anyone has experience with both Otter or Jet sled brands and if one brand slides across snow easier. The new sled will be replacing a cabelas brand sled that is at the end of its life.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Otter or Jet Sled?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:14 AM »
pulled by hand, Jet Sled hands down.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2019, 03:27 AM »
I had my Otter sled out on glare ice twice this season ..worked great..then on my third outing with a little snow ...thing pulled like a dead horse ...Jet Sled hands down if hand pulling.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:19 AM »
I've had the same Jetsled for 18 years now.  I definitely got my money's worth out of it.  My wife and daughter both have jet sleds.  I highly reccommend them. 
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Thanks gentlemen. I appreciate the input.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Go as big as you can with the size of the Jet sled...based on room in vehicle..etc ..or get two and choo choo them out ..sled cover are nice too...as is a tow bar if you think/need that option...good luck with your purchase.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2019, 12:15 AM »
I use a Jet sled 1 and my wife uses a jet sled jr.

The only complaint I have is the damn sticker they glue to the inside, its some kind of industrial super glue LOL.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:54 AM »
Early and late season I use a jet sled, great little sled, and pulls nice by hand. Its also cheaper than the Otter. If your going to load it up heavy build a smitty, still pull it with one finger.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:06 AM »
I use a pull harness on my jet sled 1 and pull it with no fingers, you’d be surprised how much strain than can eliminate too.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:26 AM »
Early and late season I use a jet sled, great little sled, and pulls nice by hand. Its also cheaper than the Otter. If your going to load it up heavy build a smitty, still pull it with one finger.

Follow this advice.  You will be amazed at how much easier pulling by hand is with a Smitty Sled.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2019, 08:49 AM »
If you're ever going to tow behind a machine, get the Otter Pro.  It's got thicker plastic and molded in pockets on the front for the hitch.  I've had friends get the Otter Sport, but they end up spending more money after they buy the hitch adapter points from Otter.  Also, they sell hyfax and a better cover for the Pro sleds.  I have the Otter Pro Small, and drag by hand most of the time.  The Smitty Sled is a life changer, definitely build one.

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Some of the places I fish are not conducive to a Smitty sled. Last week I was pulling through sage brush and skis sticking out the front would have been a constant tangled mess. I think I’ll build a smitty out of my old cabelas sled so I’ll have both available. I have no doubt they pull better in most situations as everyone on here with one seems to love it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.