The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Bass pro = evil empire  (Read 3142 times)

Offline bassEater69

• IceShanty Rookie
Bass pro = evil empire
« on: Jan 25, 2019, 06:14 PM »
Another mom and pop bait and tackle shop going out of business in 2019, M&D in wareham selling out now, can’t believe how much bass pro and other major retailers have ruined the fishing community, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOP!

Offline wardo888

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bass pro = evil empire
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2019, 05:47 PM »
I’m assuming local shops can’t survive on bait sales alone, right? Because that’s the only place I see the retailers losing, which sucks. I can’t stand cabelas/BPS. How  cAn you claim to be a huge outdoor outlet and not carry a GD tip up? It’s depressing. I try to pick up a few hooks or sinkers when I go to the bait shop anyway

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:01 PM »
M&D was a good shop.   Let’s hope Pete Belsan is able to find a new space in Scituate.   

The real reason behind shop closings has more to do with decreased participation than anything else.  Most kids don’t fish now.   Most kids fished 40 years ago

Offline Poncho

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2019, 06:11 PM »
I agree support your local shops I do 98 percent of the time.  but don’t agree that corporate entities are the main reason for mom and pop shops to close.   How many times have you walked into a local shop and have had no level of customer service, dirty shops with dusty gear and miserable guys hanging around   A lot of these guys are there own worst enemies.   

Offline Hobble2016

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:11 PM »
I used to hit up Cabela's just for the bargain cave. With BPS taking over the bargains are gone. If I'm paying full price I'll stick to my local shop. R and R in Belchertown has always been good to me.

Offline KayakerB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Well done is better than well said
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:16 PM »
I do agree that BP can take money from local mom and pop shops, however the internet has had a much bigger impact. Like Poncho said, the local shops can be their own worse enemy. As with any retail business, you need to turn over your inventory. What good is product sitting on the wall for 5 years collecting dust. I've been to a few shops over the years that should have done a huge clearance sale to free up their money. Instead they complained that they weren't making any money. I can say that since BP bought Cabela's, their selection of gear has gotten worse. This may in turn help the remaining mom and pop shops if they manage their inventory better.

Offline FishingWorcester4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:17 PM »
Cabelas and BPS are jokes. Its sad when you can find your exact fishing needs from amazon than a " fishing outlet".
Fishing....A jerk on one end and a jerk on the other.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:42 PM »
It would be cool if you could filter the amazon vendors by those that are in (or near) your local community.  Benefit of online shopping with the knowledge you are helping keep the local folks in business. 
Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:46 PM »
Aside from the effect bp/ Cabela’s has on mom and pop shops I hate them because of how they do business.

My buddy went to Cabela’s last week to pick up a sled and some other random ice gear and their inventory consisted of a small rack with a few jigs on it. When asked, the guy working there said “ice season’s over, it’s time for spring fishing”.
It’s February......

I would have thought my buddy was joking but it seems like they never have what I need when I need it and when they do it’s not cheap.
I get what I can from my local guy and what I can’t Amazon will happily drop off on my porch in two days for free.

The tackle retail game is a different beast than it was 30 years ago. I don’t blame the small guy from throwing his hands up and walking away. At least then he’d finally get a chance to go fishing  ???

As small shops disappear you realize how valuable they are.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:39 PM »
retailers make a single purchase for the ice fishing season around Sept/Oct. They do not restock. Come February, they start the switch over for open water fishing. Just as when July comes around, retailers start their back to school stuff and Christmas stuff in September  and earlier.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:55 PM »
Aside from the effect bp/ Cabela’s has on mom and pop shops I hate them because of how they do business.

My buddy went to Cabela’s last week to pick up a sled and some other random ice gear and their inventory consisted of a small rack with a few jigs on it. When asked, the guy working there said “ice season’s over, it’s time for spring fishing”.
It’s February......

I would have thought my buddy was joking but it seems like they never have what I need when I need it and when they do it’s not cheap.
I get what I can from my local guy and what I can’t Amazon will happily drop off on my porch in two days for free.

The tackle retail game is a different beast than it was 30 years ago. I don’t blame the small guy from throwing his hands up and walking away. At least then he’d finally get a chance to go fishing  ???

As small shops disappear you realize how valuable they are.

Can't find much of anything at Cabela's anymore, only have Walmart here, so I order or make my own equipment.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2019, 06:31 AM »
It’s not bass pro, they have the worst prices I have ever seen on gear, I don’t know why people would buy there, there tuna reels are marked up 30% easy, a 500 reel there is 799

Offline Srbcee8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:23 AM »
I agree although I believe bass pro and Cabela's varies by location. Massachusetts has a lot less outdoorsman than Maine or new Hampshire for instance. Not that they carry everything, but Cabela's just across the border has way more gear than Hudson. With laws and gun regs, accompanied by minimal state land. The outdoorsman in the area often travel to enjoy their hobbies. I do agree that mom pop shops have all but given up. The only two bait shops within 30 min of me have very little stocked, horrible hours of operation and often run out of shiners early without warning.

Offline Gansett

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hi Neighbor !!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:13 PM »
It's more the internet than anything I believe. I've gotten some great deals from the Kittery Trading Post online that I couldn't pass up.

I will say that Runnings in Putnam , CT had a very impressive selection of ice gear

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2019, 05:58 PM »
Another mom and pop bait and tackle shop going out of business in 2019, M&D in wareham selling out now, can’t believe how much bass pro and other major retailers have ruined the fishing community, SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOP!

At the risk of declaring an obvious yet contrarian view ... it appears the consumer decided the BIG or on line retailer is the place to shop. Meaning we the shopper have ruined the mon and pop community.

This is a classic example of Darwinian retail survival.  You can thank the big guys for bringing you a wider variety of products at lower prices.  The mom and pop stores found it tough... if not impossible to compete on price or variety at the same time BIG box stores cut price and enlarged inventory. 

To make the variety and low price process work ... the BIG guys need to turn inventory and to appeal to the majority of buyers the majority of time. The cost to carry inventory and shrinking margins made it especially tough for the small store to make money... but all the brick and mortar stores are in survival mode.

Small bait and tackle shop are struggling, Sears is on life support, BPS and Cabelas merged to extend their life.  Move over brick and mortar stores ... online anytime is where we are headed ...and AMAZON has become the new KING of retail.... for now.

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 10, 2019, 10:12 PM »
I agree support your local shops I do 98 percent of the time.  but don’t agree that corporate entities are the main reason for mom and pop shops to close.   How many times have you walked into a local shop and have had no level of customer service, dirty shops with dusty gear and miserable guys hanging around   A lot of these guys are there own worst enemies.

I boycotted a local shop because I dropped several hundred $ over the years there, tried to support him, even though he was grumpy, but when he finally cussed me out over nothing one occasion I altogether stopped shopping there. I still support local shops but I'll pay an extra few dollars and drive a little out of the way just to avoid this guy shop now. Hence I see your point and can relate when it comes to bad service at some of these places.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:06 AM »
retailers make a single purchase for the ice fishing season around Sept/Oct. They do not restock. Come February, they start the switch over for open water fishing. Just as when July comes around, retailers start their back to school stuff and Christmas stuff in September  and earlier.

EXACTLY!!!

I "used" to check out Dick's Sporting Goods in Dedham and found some nice ice rods there some years back.
Now when I go there in January and February hoping to find any nice deals I find that they have already shifted there floor displays and stock over to soccer and baseball.

Now I can see the logic of getting a "jump on the competition", but where do you see ANYONE playing soccer and baseball in February except in Florida and Arizona?

Now I will only go there if I need to waste a half hour reminding myself why I don't buy there anymore!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:46 PM »
I boycotted a local shop because I dropped several hundred $ over the years there, tried to support him, even though he was grumpy, but when he finally cussed me out over nothing one occasion I altogether stopped shopping there. I still support local shops but I'll pay an extra few dollars and drive a little out of the way just to avoid this guy shop now. Hence I see your point and can relate when it comes to bad service at some of these places.

Sounds like the old guy at Tom's whole sale.  Used to be sport for us...go in and ask him something while he's counting bait.  He'd lose it.  The first time caught me off guard, the second time I did it on purpose.  What fun!

Tackle manufactures have much to do with the small shops suffering as well.

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:15 PM »
Sounds like the old guy at Tom's whole sale.  Used to be sport for us...go in and ask him something while he's counting bait.  He'd lose it.  The first time caught me off guard, the second time I did it on purpose.  What fun!

Tackle manufactures have much to do with the small shops suffering as well.

That guy at Toms was an ahole, a couple times I had to swing through there when my local shop in Scituate wasn’t open in winter years ago

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:20 PM »
Yes he was.

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:06 PM »
Guys ... maybe we should pool resources and build our own franchise call it the... Shanty Sheds...full of top tackle, sold by Shed heads.   We buy bulk and distribute across our network.  The Sheds are mobile like hot dog wagons ... we show up when and where the .   We start our day early and stay late to better serve our customers...

Hmmmmmmmm .... just realized if we did all this we won't have much time for fishing.   Guess this plan has too many holes in it ... let's put it on ice for a while ... we can tackle this later... drop a line to others and see if they bite on the idea. 

Bass Pro, Cabelas and Dicks...better watch out ... the new Shanty Shed Heads are the Next Gen Mom and Pop store.... once Ice fishing season is over!
Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Guys ... maybe we should pool resources and build our own franchise call it the... Shanty Sheds...full of top tackle, sold by Shed heads.   We buy bulk and distribute across our network.  The Sheds are mobile like hot dog wagons ... we show up when and where the .   We start our day early and stay late to better serve our customers...

Hmmmmmmmm .... just realized if we did all this we won't have much time for fishing.   Guess this plan has too many holes in it ... let's put it on ice for a while ... we can tackle this later... drop a line to others and see if they bite on the idea. 

Bass Pro, Cabelas and Dicks...better watch out ... the new Shanty Shed Heads are the Next Gen Mom and Pop store.... once Ice fishing season is over!

You pretty much nailed it right there. The only people who get into the business for the right reasons and do it right are fishermen.. but by doing that they pretty much have to sacrifice their own fishing.

A tackle shop also can’t be a fishermen hang out. Most fishermen are crusty as **** so you want to get em in and get em out as fast as possible.

Love the mobile tackle shop though.
I played with the idea of selling chile dogs, Chile bowls, Chile over nachos and assorted hooks/ weights out of my sled to offset fishing expenses. Oh.. also beer, smokes, joints and brownies.

I’d go in on a shanty franchise for sure.
Not a permit shall we pull !

Offline Bobbyg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you live in the past, you will have no future..
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2019, 10:15 AM »
I will sum up the retail sporting business for the small guys in the game... Buy Super HIGH then Sell super LOW

This industry has turned into a huge volume business which it never was and then they expect huge turnover in product sales that just don't exist. So, every year it’s the same old game either buy into huge inventory to get the best price or don’t and get the worst pricing.  and then sit back and watch the massive retailers that bought into the same product the mom and pop bought and it  just ends up sitting on the shelf. Then the Box stores and internet giants start blowing it out discounting it down to below wholesale to flip the inventory. totally devaluing the entire product line

So, to give an example of a common scenario:
Now enter the small mom and pop shop that bought high with no deals.

A Customer comes in to the local mom and pop shop and says hey!! Cabelas or whoever.... has that same ice auger you have at $559.00 at this crazy reduced price of $399.00 can you match their price?? or better yet the online price with no tax-free shipping???? I really want to give you the business instead because you’re my local shop.... And now the retailer thinks about it and says DAM!!!!! ok...... O and here is my CABELAS CARD on top of it!! I need more cabelas points to get free stuff at your competitor.

Now that same small mom and pop shop that bought the 5 ice augers at $499 wholesale = $2495.00 before the season taking a huge chance to stock some product for his customers. Just got spanked because the ice seasons a bust almost no ice worth anyone buying and ice auger happened. And now the mom and pop shop have to sell it for $399.00 because online giants or box stores who bought the same ice auger at a deeply discounted wholesale price are now blowing it out at their cost to just move it out inventory and recover some capital for the next season.

So the mom and pop shop just lost on average around $542.40 out of the $2495.00 they invested on just one product.. And you ready for this. The manufacture/distributor  made their money and The state made around $124.69 in taxes and credit card company made around $63.59, and the even the customer made money using his cabelas card. So the Mom and Pop lost money and everyone else made money. And people wonder why mom and pop shops are closing.

Mom and pop shops have short windows to make money and then its a race to the bottom
Negative People Are Like Black Holes, They Will Suck The Life Out Of You.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:18 AM »
that is the truth, well said

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:29 AM »
All the Mom and Pop shops have been closed in my area for years.  Now it's internet or travel an hour to BP.  Can't even buy minnows anymore without driving a good distance to get them.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:30 AM »

Those stores have to watch out for Amazon.  Their lunch is being eaten.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:11 PM »
i'm thankful we still have granby bait still here, i don't think he will be going anywhere anytime soon ;D

Offline Jig4perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Skunkuvver,  your thoughts and ideas are spot on ...

"Love the mobile tackle shop though.
I played with the idea of selling chile dogs, Chile bowls, Chile over nachos and assorted hooks/ weights out of my sled to offset fishing expenses. Oh.. also beer, smokes, joints and brownies."

your are a the kind of entrepreneur that needs to be part of the Shanty Sheds Franchise ... I never thought of including food with the mobile tackle shop ... your food idea makes the Shed Franchise a year round operation...and if we incorporate beer, smokes and joints ... we will sell more food.   

Since this idea started on the ICESHANTY what do you think about putting our business plan together and presenting  to the SHARK TANK TV team.  Those SHARKS are not big on fishing ideas ...but the SHANTY SHEDS idea can scale!

Weight4 Ice2fishon

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:01 AM »
Bobbyg that is the best example ive ever heard.those of you who know me know ive worked at a mom and pop for years,both full and pt.still work there on weekends.ive seen years when we had to have an auger raffle just to recoup a fraction of what we spent.people who dont think cabelas is an issue it is.when they opened in Hartford we saw a big drop .just my 2 cents.

Offline CranMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2019, 11:35 AM »

That guy at Toms was an ahole, a couple times I had to swing through there when my local shop in Scituate wasn’t open in winter years ago

hahaha! Old grumpy Pete?? I bought $170 worth of bait and after he rang me up I showed him a $50 gift card. He lost it!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.