The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Milwaukee Fuel Mud Mixer  (Read 9596 times)

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Milwaukee Fuel Mud Mixer
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Yeah, keep telling yourself that.
Below is a direct quote from the K-Drill website:

K-Drill Staff
October 24, 2018
"Milwaukee Mud Mixer was tried by several members of our field test staff with similar results by all. Final Results: The heavier Milwaukee Mud Mixer did not have a high enough current load or temp setting to work with the 8 inch K-Drill and would continuously shut down after 2-3 holes. The standard 2703-20 drill far out-performed the Mud Mixer in all of our testing. Until Milwaukee makes some changes to the control circuit in the the Mud Mixer I would be certain it could be returned for a standard 2703-20 or 2803-20 hand drill."

Why do people get their panties in a bunch when someone else has a problem with a product that they like?

Don't know about the "panties"? :-\
Just trying to help out the guys that appear to be having a problem doesn't matter wither I own it or not. Gotta wonder though what the K-drill guys were doing to get it to shut down ever 2-3 holes?
To each their own.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2019, 04:57 PM »
Unless the KD guys were leaning on it to get it to cut faster but they should know better. Mine just about pulls me right into the bottom of the hole if I'd let it.

There is something goin' on but I'm not in a position to figure out what it is.

@whitefishmt: Does your guy know if MKE made any design changes or mfg changes, even if just location in the last, say, 24 months? Maybe even a bad batch of temp circuits for the mixers got out. It happens.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2019, 06:30 PM »
So gonna move on from this dog fight cause no one is gonna make any head way.
I was more than likely one of the first to come up with the mud mixer and the QuikLok idea back in Sept. 2017.
The reason was that I'd had a lot of people having problems with ALL brands of cordless used for ALL brands of ice augers.
Yep ALL brands you name it I saw it, broken gears, spindles, chucks,handles burnt up you name it.
There lies the  problem with forums is no one see's who's typing at the other end, and sometimes the person doesn't want that know for lots of reasons.
Anyway along comes the MudMixer and I believed it had everything to make it work, right RPM, power, ergonomics in fact I even sent off e-mails to K-drill suggesting they make the drill adapter more friendly for the QuikLok.
Now over 2 years later there appears to be some who are having problems, not saying they aren't but I'm not there to double check whats going on.
Does Milwaukee have a problem with the Mixer? I can't tell you that, not even sure Milwaukee would tell you that because they are prob gonna tell ya it's not made for that application!
There was a nice video here last week with a not very favorable revue of the MudMIxer but alas a few days later there was a way "better" revue. 
Now ya gotta remember two years ago K-Drill only told you to use the Milwaukee cordless drills, "nothing" else only one brand. But wait there is yellow on there page now, how about that?
Someone piped in and stated that K-Drill doesn't recommend the MudMixer, yep they are correct but guess what they don't recommend using the Ridigd Octane drill either! Haven't seen that come up over on the Octane thread.
Anyway back to the MudMixer, I had asked one of the fellows having a problem if the speed dial was at max? Could that be a problem? Yes it might be, the KDrill at least is recommended to run at 500-750 RPM. The MudMixer is 550 RPM but if your only running it at say 300 RPM you maybe overheating the motor......wow?
So any way I went back to my original post and made a notation in red letters that KDrill does not recommend the MudMixer.
So no my "panties" are not in a twist.
Most of us are here to try and help each other, right just trying to make the sport better?
And remember your never sure who's typing on the other end, maybe just maybe it's someone who know way more than you or I do!

Cheers. ;)

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2019, 07:35 PM »
You keep saying some auger manufacturers need to change their input shaft size. The Quik-Lok chuck (#42-66-0055) which comes on the
7/16" Hex Super-Hawg (Milwaukee service parts list bulletin no. 54-10-2730 fig.91 p/n 42-66-0055) accepts all 7/16 Hex shafts and also accepts all 3-flat shafts made to the 3-flat specifications. Milwaukee has a whole family of 3-flat drills and tools that slide right in, K-Drill and Eskimo Pistol input shafts (no adapters needed) (by accident or on purpose) will go right in to the 42-66-0055 Quik-Lok chuck.
Be it by accident or on purpose (remove the 3 jaw chuck) and the 42-66-0055 Quik-Lok goes right on the Mud Mixer.

Leave Some For Seed

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2019, 09:03 PM »
You keep saying some auger manufacturers need to change their input shaft size. The Quik-Lok chuck (#42-66-0055) which comes on the
7/16" Hex Super-Hawg (Milwaukee service parts list bulletin no. 54-10-2730 fig.91 p/n 42-66-0055) accepts all 7/16 Hex shafts and also accepts all 3-flat shafts made to the 3-flat specifications. Milwaukee has a whole family of 3-flat drills and tools that slide right in, K-Drill and Eskimo Pistol input shafts (no adapters needed) (by accident or on purpose) will go right in to the 42-66-0055 Quik-Lok chuck.
Be it by accident or on purpose (remove the 3 jaw chuck) and the 42-66-0055 Quik-Lok goes right on the Mud Mixer.

Been a long day so first.
Show me where I said the Eskimo Pistol will NOT fit?
I have said the old and at least the K-drills that are in stock at the only 2 stores in the area I live (as of 2 weeks ago) will not fit in the 42-66-0055. I took 4 of the 42-66-0055 chucks and tried? Don't know what to tell ya? Maybe they are all selling "bogus", cloned, fake, alien mfg K-drills. :o :o :o
And not to be rude but get your tools straight!
There is a Milwaukee "1/2" Super-Hawg" most commonly known in the tool industry for the last 15 years or so as a "Super-Hawg". There are also two CORDLESS "M18 Super-Hawg"!
Two different tools that use DIFFERENT chucks regular or QuikLok. PERIOD end of story! Do not confuse people! The "1/2" Super-Hawg" is a threaded spindle, neither of the M18 cordless Super-Hawgs are threaded!
It appears to be a moot point anyway because Sooooooo many people are having problems with their MudMIxers that I will not be recommending any power heads in the near future Red, Yellow, Blue or Orange.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:36 AM »

Anyway back to the MudMixer, I had asked one of the fellows having a problem if the speed dial was at max? Could that be a problem? Yes it might be, the KDrill at least is recommended to run at 500-750 RPM. The MudMixer is 550 RPM but if your only running it at say 300 RPM you maybe overheating the motor......wow?

Very possible, I guess I didn't read my K drill manual enough! I was cutting mostly at 300rpms and now will make sure I always cut at the max. Stay tuned, I am not returning my mud mixer just yet. FOR THE RECORD, the 6" drill seems to have zero problem on the mud mixer, I put it to the test last evening.

And for the record, I have two K Drills, both 6" and 8" and neither one will fit directly into the 42-66-0055 Quik-Loc chuck without modification. They also do not fit in the 0050 Quik-Loc chuck which I bought first by mistake.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2019, 11:16 AM »
They must send us (back-east) different 42-66-0055 QuikLok chucks. Picture shows the Eskimo Pistol drive going into the 42-66-0055.
Milwaukee also makes a whole family of tools (with the 3-Flat drive end) that go right into the 42-66-0055. A picture of one of the 3-Flat bits
in the 42-66-0055.
Go to Home Depot web-site and search Milwaukee 48-20-8854 and you'll see one of many tools with 3-Flat secure grip.
There are many tools with the 3-Flat secure grip that are intended for the 42-66-0055 Quik Lok chuck.

Leave Some For Seed

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 15, 2019, 01:03 PM »

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 15, 2019, 01:08 PM »
They must send us (back-east) different 42-66-0055 QuikLok chucks. Picture shows the Eskimo Pistol drive going into the 42-66-0055.
Milwaukee also makes a whole family of tools (with the 3-Flat drive end) that go right into the 42-66-0055. A picture of one of the 3-Flat bits
in the 42-66-0055.
Go to Home Depot web-site and search Milwaukee 48-20-8854 and you'll see one of many tools with 3-Flat secure grip.
There are many tools with the 3-Flat secure grip that are intended for the 42-66-0055 Quik Lok chuck.

WOW you just don't get it?
I have never say the 42-66-0055 wouldn't except the Eskimo Pistol? NOPE NEVER
No one in our area even has a Pistol to try? I have never even seen one.
I'm so glad yours fit. ::)
Now then I guess you really do-do things different "back East" because I'm not sure why you would want to put a hammer drill bit (48-20-8854 which you used as an example) in one of the Quik-Loks, but then again"your back east"?
You may want to go to the Milwaukee site (instead of Home Depot) for info on the 48-20-8854. Nowhere on there does it say it's designed for or fits the Quik-Lok!
But it does state"The 3-Flat Secure-Grip shank fits in all 1/2” three-jaw hammer-drill chucks and maintains unyielding bit hold with heavy torsional loads."?
I'm SO glad Milwaukee has what you say they do, but then again I've never debated that have I?
For all I know you work at/or for Milwaukee, K-drill and Eskimo and that's why your getting the "special" things and we out West are getting the "bogus", fake etc, etc stuff that you keep referring to. :-\
And remember the right tool for the right job! ;)
Cheers.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:32 PM »
OK guys... I'm gonna open a window so everyone can get a breath of fresh air.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:21 AM »
As a follow up, I have fished twice with my mud mixer and since only using the 6" auger and cutting at max speed, it has not cut out once on me. I am going to try the 8" k-drill again and see it I can have success with that combo, making sure I stay at the max speed for the mixer.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Went out Sunday. Punched over two dozen holes thru 8 inches of ice. Mud mixer worked great no cut outs at all. I just let the weight of the drill do the work. No or little added pressure.
I'm running a 8 inch Eskimo bit off a power auger with a 5 ah battery. I was at the max. speed. Battery still had 2 bars at the end of the day.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 07, 2019, 01:59 PM »
The one question I would have with these “speciality” drills is that if you plan on using them strictly for an auger, why not just get a dedicated unit like the Strikemaster.  The main reason I chose a drill is that I can work double duty during the off season. 

Offline Big_Al

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 07, 2019, 02:00 PM »
Been out with my Mud Mixer twice with 8" Nils and did not cut out once. Worked great!

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #44 on: Feb 07, 2019, 02:45 PM »

The one question I would have with these “speciality” drills is that if you plan on using them strictly for an auger, why not just get a dedicated unit like the Strikemaster.  The main reason I chose a drill is that I can work double duty during the off season.

The drill (mud mixer) is only part of it I already had 3 Milwaukee battery’s in hand for other tools. Beyond that the mud mixer works just fine has a heavy duty drill. 

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 07, 2019, 02:59 PM »

The drill (mud mixer) is only part of it I already had 3 Milwaukee battery’s in hand for other tools. Beyond that the mud mixer works just fine has a heavy duty drill.

yeah that makes sense.  Understood 

Offline FURBALL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 07, 2019, 11:37 PM »
I had my mud mixer cut out on me today with my 8" K-Drill. I am using a 12 AMP/HR battery with it that was fully charged and has ran my Milwaukee chainsaw hundreds of times. Conditions were probably too extreme with 28" of ice but i kept bringing the cuttings up like you're supposed to. The weather is COLD COLD. -25C plus the wind so I doubt it was overheating.

I love the idea of it. I bought the mud mixer as a dual duty ice auger in the winter and gate hole driller in the summer(custom fencer). I'm a little reluctant to head out to the middle of nowhere to do a fence now with this unit. I'll try it close to home on my own farm a lot of times before I can trust it for work.

I guess I'll head in to Bass Pro tomorrow and see if the have any Strikemaster Honda Lite's left over that are on sale.

Joe

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:59 AM »
At least in my own personal experience the mud mixer works better on a lower settings say 350-400 with shaver blades (mora) than at max. Nothing scientific to back this up just my $0.02

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 10, 2019, 02:12 PM »
I had my mud mixer cut out on me today with my 8" K-Drill. I am using a 12 AMP/HR battery with it that was fully charged and has ran my Milwaukee chainsaw hundreds of times. Conditions were probably too extreme with 28" of ice but i kept bringing the cuttings up like you're supposed to. The weather is COLD COLD. -25C plus the wind so I doubt it was overheating.

I love the idea of it. I bought the mud mixer as a dual duty ice auger in the winter and gate hole driller in the summer(custom fencer). I'm a little reluctant to head out to the middle of nowhere to do a fence now with this unit. I'll try it close to home on my own farm a lot of times before I can trust it for work.

I guess I'll head in to Bass Pro tomorrow and see if the have any Strikemaster Honda Lite's left over that are on sale.

Joe

Hey Joe, you were probably leaning on it a bit. It doesn't take much and it's easy to do. The MM/KD 8" cuts so well, it seems like you could stand on the thing while it's working but then... it cuts out. Starts right back up but then it cuts out again. I had that issue and made a conscious effort to "lighten up" and the problem went away. Heck, I think if you forced a gas job enough you could stall that out too.

I was out (again) yesterday in -26F and had no issues. Left the setup with the battery on my tailgate and drilled more holes a couple hours later. No problem. I'm thinking that there's some load sensing circuitry inside the mixer that shuts it off if it draws too much current. Almost certainly to keep it from bursting into flames  ;)  ::). But that's OK. It cuts very well if you just let the tool do it's job without trying to hurry it. In dry holes I've even drilled 24" without clearing chips. Slush like we had yesterday I was clearing as advised.

In all fairness, as the ambient temp warmed a bit you could tell the combo was much happier. But then, again, so am I.

I could be wrong but I don't believe the mud mixer has enough guts for an earth drill. Maybe in sand or maybe for like a 2" auger in regular dirt but nothing very big.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.