Author Topic: K Drill What you need to know  (Read 4227 times)

Offline seabassoutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
K Drill What you need to know
« on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:25 AM »
I get asked so many questions and so many people are miss leading. Torque is everything when it comes to the K drill.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
Re: K Drill What you need to know
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:29 AM »
To me the biggest thing I didn't know when I bought this set-up (and I love it) is that the hole isn't 8". It's 7.5".

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:35 AM »
mistake in video. you say it takes 725 pounds of torque (mark .20). we have inch pounds measurements in our drills, not pounds. so your 725 inch pounds equals 60.41 foot pounds.

also states the milwaukee drill is required to turn the k-drill (mark 1.19). ridgid octane drill has 100 inch pounds more torque than milwaukee.

says it has 1200 pounds of torque mark 1.26

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:44 AM »
Another thing that was a concern of mine was the height of the set up below a Clam plate ...after adding the adapter it was fairly close to my SM Mag 2000 height which meant I did not need an extension.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:47 AM »
To me the biggest thing I didn't know when I bought this set-up (and I love it) is that the hole isn't 8". It's 7.5".

Does that mean the 6” is 5.5”? My father in law just bought a 6” and I wonder if he knows this.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:50 AM »
Does that mean the 6” is 5.5”? My father in law just bought a 6” and I wonder if he knows this.

6 inch Kdrill drills a 6 inch hole

http://kdrillauger.com/wp-content/uploads/simple-file-list/K-Drill-Owners-Manual-2018-Web.pdf
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:38 PM »
All I want to know is....does the float actually keep it above ice if it comes out of the chuck?  I've had my mora come out of the chuck several times either in or around the hole and run a wide plate on it.  I've heard mixed things about the float.  Thanks for the video!
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:47 PM »
Tried my new 6' K-Drill this weekend with my older Dewalt 18V Hammerdrill. Works great although I only had 3in of ice to drill thru. The drill is not one of the newer brushless style, just  7yr old drill with the original batteries (prior to lithium Ions) so I have to keep them somewhat warm when not in use. I have been using the drill on my 6in Laser for years so it should work just fine with the K-Drill once we get more ice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:55 PM »
All I want to know is....does the float actually keep it above ice if it comes out of the chuck?  I've had my mora come out of the chuck several times either in or around the hole and run a wide plate on it.  I've heard mixed things about the float.  Thanks for the video!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Tried my new 6' K-Drill this weekend with my older Dewalt 18V Hammerdrill. Works great although I only had 3in of ice to drill thru. The drill is not one of the newer brushless style, just  7yr old drill with the original batteries (prior to lithium Ions) so I have to keep them somewhat warm when not in use. I have been using the drill on my 6in Laser for years so it should work just fine with the K-Drill once we get more ice

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCA1820-Dewalt-Battery-Adapter/dp/B016K1UD0E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1542653803&sr=8-4&keywords=dewalt+20v+to+18v+conversion+kit

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2018, 01:08 PM »
.          Clam plate will solve all your questions, can’t come off !!

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2018, 01:20 PM »

yeah its def not optimal but i know a guy who runs the same set up.  he only drills a few holes and then settles in each trip so running an gunning on anything over 8" is just not possible with the old 18v XRP drills.  been using that drill for 5 years.  3 years on kdrill.   2 years on like a lazer or mora. 

RallyGreen

« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2018, 03:51 PM »
If you find a powerhead like one of these used, it works great for thicker ice: https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-25-4cc-Forward-Reverse-Engine-Gas-Drill-EDR-260/100666168

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2018, 09:23 PM »
I just watched that video yesterday lol. Love your channel. I like how you put the comparison between the two auger styles. If you don’t need to punch as many holes, the Kdrill is lighter. But also, the blade design is more durable, it can also make overlapping holes. I don’t understand why the clam plate (or even the kit) doesn’t come with the extension to be begin with, I can’t imagine anyone actually using it without one.  I have the plate with a 7” lazer, absolutely love it after the initial learning curve of it catching at the bottom.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2018, 11:37 PM »
I just watched that video yesterday lol. Love your channel. I like how you put the comparison between the two auger styles. If you don’t need to punch as many holes, the Kdrill is lighter. But also, the blade design is more durable, it can also make overlapping holes. I don’t understand why the clam plate (or even the kit) doesn’t come with the extension to be begin with, I can’t imagine anyone actually using it without one.  I have the plate with a 7” lazer, absolutely love it after the initial learning curve of it catching at the bottom.
.       Don’t come with extension , that way they can sell it to you. If extension included price would be higher. Some guys swear u don’t need it, but I can’t  imagine drilling a hole on my knees in thicker ice!!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2018, 12:03 AM »
Without the extension it does loom more balanced and to scale as a power auger, but in miniature. Not a good tool for kids to use, but vertically challenged individuals maybe.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:08 AM »
The KDrill is a great tool.  Not the fastest, and not the least aggressive or easiest on the drill, but the tradeoffs are worth it I think.   The biggest thing people need to understand is that they should think about how they are going to use their auger and buy what works best.  Different augers excel differently.   It a lot like buying a boat.   Things to consider:  Ice thickness, ice quality (dirty/clean), opening old holes, overlapping holes, number of holes that will be drilled.

Also just to clarify something in the video that is incorrectly stated.  The voltage and amperage DO make a difference in how the drill is going to perform.   If you have a 2.5ah battery and a 12ah battery it will be night a day difference, even if you only plan on drilling 5 holes. A larger ah battery will not only last longer, but also will perform better (higher rpm and more torque).  Also 60V @2.5ah is going to give you a lot more torque than 12ah @20V.  This is why DeWalt has the flexvolt system.  Alot of their big demanding tools such as the chainsaw and circular saw and lawnmower run at 60v but use the same flexvolt battery as the 20v tools.

This video explains the bigger battery better performance.

oh and yes I agree, the biggest disappointment in the KDrill was finding out it was 7.5 and not 8".   A 1/2 doesn't seem like much, but that 1/2 equates to a loss of 6 squared inches in that area of that hole.   

&t=407s

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2018, 07:51 AM »

I’m not going to find out the hard way.  I’m going to add a plate to mine to make sure it doesn’t end up on the wrong side of the ice.

I’m also going to run mine on a Dewalt DCD996 w/4ah batteries, which by all indications is plenty of drill to get the job done.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2018, 08:02 AM »
I’m not going to find out the hard way.  I’m going to add a plate to mine to make sure it doesn’t end up on the wrong side of the ice.

I’m also going to run mine on a Dewalt DCD996 w/4ah batteries, which by all indications is plenty of drill to get the job done.

Ran mine on a Clam Plate/Dewalt 995 w/4ah/8 in Krill last season loved it ..right height w/o the extension..this season Milwaukee 2704 is my drill

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:05 AM »
Without the extension it does loom more balanced and to scale as a power auger, but in miniature. Not a good tool for kids to use, but vertically challenged individuals maybe.

I'm 5-8" and had no trouble using mine last April. And I needed an extension at the end of last season. The auger is still very light even with the Clam plate/Extension and bites right in without having to push down that hard.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2018, 03:14 PM »

3:00 mark real world

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 02, 2018, 03:52 PM »
I have bought the K Drill 6 in. and the strikemaster lazer 6in. and ran both on the dewalt 996 brushless drill.  The Kdrill does take more torque tham the lazer on a 5 amp hour batt. I got about 30 holes on 1 batt.  And  I got 47 on the lazer hand auger same batt. the Kdrill was lighter than the lazer, but not enough to make a differance. the kdrill will drill old holes out or dress them back open to 5.5 in. The lazer probably will get bent mounts if you do reopen old holes. ican see if you have dirty ice the kdrill blades will last longer. but for me the lazer hand auger is better if batt. dies i can put the off set handle and keep on going. K drill about 60 holes, srikemaster lazer94 holes on 2- 5amp hour batts. you decide what you want to go with. K drill $195.00 or strikemaster lazer hand auger with nimrod adapter for $95.00. I sold the kdrill and bought the 6 and 8 lazer for the cost of the kdrill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.