Author Topic: northland and vmc rattle spoons to attract fish from a distance ?  (Read 716 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
I would like to fish a couple large shallow ponds for perch and largemouth bass , will  these rattle spoons draw the fish closer than a swedish pimple or slender spoon ? I was thinking of using the rattles as a call  and other smaller lures to hopefully catch the bass and perch . any suggestions or thoughts appreciated  .  THANKS

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Vmc rattle spoons are what I fish with most of the time. Yes I do feel they help fall fish over for the surrounding area. Most of the time I don’t need to switch to anything else either, I usually tip with wax worms and just slow the presentation if they are getting picky. I usually use the two smaller sizes for trout and panfish, bigger ones to get deeper or bigger trout. I catch a good amount of bass on them too. The bigger bass seem to not bite them as often though, so I’ll drop down the chubby darter if I have a bigger mark looking but not biting. 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
anytime you can add rattles is a plus in my book.  sound caries a long ways in water.  I will often rip jig a rattle trap in the middle of my tip up sets for attraction.  I put suspends strips on the trap to weight it for a nose down hang after the jigging.  a small rattle above a minnow also sometimes.

an easy way to add rattles is a three way swivel with a piece of rubber tube on one eye to push rattle into it.  I use the same rig to deploy tiny glow sticks above my minnows at night.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
try a small rattle trap or lindy darter on one rod.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Sounds may draw fish in.  Sometimes you just need a big rattle trap and rip it a few times.  Also why I like that giant Chubby Darter.  No rattles, but that big lure attracts attention from far fish.  Also spooks all the little ones away if there's too many of them pesky ones.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Sounds may draw fish in.  Sometimes you just need a big rattle trap and rip it a few times.  Also why I like that giant Chubby Darter.  No rattles, but that big lure attracts attention from far fish.  Also spools all the little ones away if there's too many of them pesky ones.

This giant Chubby slippery?

What rod would you be pullin' it with if I may inquire?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
This giant Chubby slippery?

What rod would you be pullin' it with if I may inquire?

Yes

I've got the old Premier bait casting set-up in H power.  Really I should used something in XH power but it's just a fish called for me in the ice.  I haven't had a biter on the Giant Chubby Darter yet...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yes

I've got the old Premier bait casting set-up in H power.  Really I should used something in XH power but it's just a fish called for me in the ice.  I haven't had a biter on the Giant Chubby Darter yet...

Might as well go up to a broom stick with a couple screw eyes lol picked up a few of these last year to use as spearing decoys,  they definitely bring in some fish

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I’d imagine you’d get a pike, pickerel or bass on it at some point lol. A friend of mine didn’t have his trap set right so the flag never tripped. When he went to go check it, his line was all spooled out. He pulled in a ton of weeds, along with a decent bass. When we went to take the hook out, we discovered a perch in its mouth, and the hook was in the perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.