Author Topic: Experience with ice braid?  (Read 818 times)

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
Experience with ice braid?
« on: Nov 16, 2018, 01:04 PM »
I started using Finicky Fooler's last year instead of tip ups.  Basically a rod is set in a holder and the flag trips when line is taken out.  Since the rods are sitting outside, they are usually exposed to the elements.  I have no issues with the first fish, but when I have to let line out to drop my bait for the second fish....the line on my spool starts to freeze.

I want to target bigger fish this year (pike) so I like the idea of using heavier line.  The advantage of braid is that the pound test rating is high with a small diameter.  The obvious issue with braid is it absorbs water and eventually freezes.  Has anyone tried ice braid while hole hopping and liked it? 

Mono would likely work fine, but if I increase the pound test it will also become much thicker/stiffer.  Am I overthinking this and should stick with mono?

Bill

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Experience with ice braid?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2018, 01:47 PM »
I’m pretty much in the same boat, err..... shanty? Anyways, I use tipups so spool freeze isn’t much of a concern since the line is completely submerged. I got a baitfeeder reel over the summer that I’m looking forward to using on a dead stick rod (no gadgets, just a rod holder) for pike this ice season. From what I’ve gathered about using braid for above ice applications it’s pretty much 6 of one and half a dozen of the other when it comes to preference. Some people say it works just fine. Others say it’s the worst experience they’ve had with line. I’ve come to the conclusion that one has to just try it out for themselves and see how it will work for them. I plan on trying the blue suffix performance braid that comes in 75 yard spools. If it sucks I guess I’ll try another brand or two and if that doesn’t work out I’ll just use mono.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2018, 03:10 PM »
Use Fireline.  That braid is fused so less water in between the weaves.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2018, 03:55 PM »
All braid is going to freeze. You may have to find a reel with a large arbor and stick to mono or a copolymer.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2018, 04:20 PM »
Use Fireline.  That braid is fused so less water in between the weaves.

Yep, fireline freezes much less than other braid.  Caught some pike in maine this year with my finicky fooler type devices (can't remember the real name) when it was 12 degrees plus a nasty wind chill.

Offline BIGfishBILL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2018, 05:42 PM »

This is hydrophobic or ICE braid I was referring to.  I thought it wasn't supposed to hold water.

Bill

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2018, 06:00 PM »
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Gliss monotex is good as far as ratio of diameter vs pound test. Like other braided lines they all freeze its physics. I use my gliss monotex on all my indoor rods where I dont have to worry about line freezing. Also pink is my favorite color yeah I know it's a girly color but hey it's also easy to see

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2018, 06:13 PM »
I've had good success using Pline fluoro ice (or fluoroclear) in 6 lb test on my finicky foolers and 8 lb with my autos. Braid will freeze to the spool after it gets wet and fish will feel that and drop the bait with the finicky foolers.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Fireline fused crystal

Catchin' Fish

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2018, 05:23 PM »
I’ve been scouring and reading reviews looking for the same thing. Everything points me back to fireline fused (ice version isn’t any different than the big spools) and spooling with straight fluoro. My problem is I’m spooling up for lake trout, so I want 10lb fluoro and finding the right one for sz 25 reel. Might have to spend on Tatsu or sniper as those are the most spinning reel friendly without the stretch of invizix.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.