Author Topic: Underwater camera  (Read 1859 times)

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
Underwater camera
« on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:11 PM »
Thoughts on aqua view micro 5" cameras or any other brands similar to that.  I have an old camera black and white weighs about 10 pounds with batteries.  Used it alot when I first got it, then I got a flasher.  Never looked back until now, thinking about purchasing another now that they are so small and light weight.  Just wondering if the $200 $300 are any good or just save my money.  (Still won't go without my flasher though)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Underwater camera
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:22 PM »
If your familiar with the troubles of setting up a camera and their limitations, but willing to work with them, then go for it. They are relatively good for imagine quality and have low light and night mode. Battery life varies with model and mode being used.

RallyGreen

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:06 PM »
I have a couple larger cameras - a marcum 385c and a 485c for watching lures in clear water they have been great on certain lakes, but they are a bit of a pain to move around for finding weed beds. The colour cuts out anyway as the light decreases, so they may as well be b&w, really. From what I recall when I read up on that stuff, at that time the ccd cameras had better low light performance than the cheaper to produce cmos cameras. Maybe things have changed since... So my suggestion would be if you are intending to use a camera to watch a lure, maybe consider just replacing your camera's original battery with a lightweight lithium iron phosphate battery and then it'll be lighter than 10 lbs and run all day at a fraction of the cost of a new camera. I just bought a pair of 10ah lithium batteries to use either on the cameras or on the flashers depending on the lake, so will see this winter if the idea has anything to it

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2018, 12:07 AM »
I have had several cameras over the years. Right now I have the LX 9 I am heading to Scheels in the morning to probably pick up the 5 inch aqua vu. I looked at it last week and it is very nice! Can’t decide if I want to be able to record or not.  The new feature that lets you reel in the cable is a game changer for hole hopping.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2018, 09:46 AM »
I really like my Aqua-Vu Micro Plus DVR, been using it for a few years and this will be my 2nd year with the upgraded camera.

A good example of the value from last season:  We were fishing in about 22 FOW on a lake with rainbows, brookies, and kokanee salmon (landlocked sockeye).  My lx-6s in graph mode showed something right on the bottom (the bottom line would move up a bit).  Dropped the camera to see which species and see the behavior, and was able to catch some fish before I would have detected them by touch only.

Another example of the value from last season: Driled holes, dropped camera, found I was dead in the middle of a weed bed.  My bait would have basically drop right into/onto weeds and hang up.  Drilled and checked a few more holes and set up on the edge of the weedbed.

And besides, it's really fun to use!  We have sat around watching it while eating lunch after limiting out.

Prospector, yes you want to record.  Stuff like this would be a great add to the videos you like to make:

Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Thank you all for the info thus far.  Nice to see more actual video footage that I know wasn't taken in  aquarium like settings like so many of their commercials seem to be.  I like the idea of the quick easy cable management as well.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Thank you all for the info thus far.  Nice to see more actual video footage that I know wasn't taken in  aquarium like settings like so many of their commercials seem to be.  I like the idea of the quick easy cable management as well.

I used the Micro Revolution Pro 5.0 on my kayak this summer and the reel for the cable was fantastic. It was nothing to drop it down 30 feet and then take it back up after taking a look.  I got mine after ice season was over this last spring; I can't wait to get out on the ice with it!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I used the Micro Revolution Pro 5.0 on my kayak this summer and the reel for the cable was fantastic. It was nothing to drop it down 30 feet and then take it back up after taking a look.  I got mine after ice season was over this last spring; I can't wait to get out on the ice with it!
Did you do much recording? I just picked up the 5.0 this morning but might take it back for the pro. Thanks

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2018, 02:10 PM »
I highly recommend the pro - the recordings are super fun to share with friends.

Here is one of mine on that camera.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline nova

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2018, 02:34 PM »
Wow that is awesome how long will it record.  Also do any of you guys use the mo-pod or whatever they call it or you just try and get it to hang where ya need it

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2018, 02:42 PM »
YES...get a mo-pod or equivalent. It makes a huge difference. I love the remote control.  It will record for a LONG time. Never had a problem.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2018, 03:15 PM »
YES...get a mo-pod or equivalent. It makes a huge difference.

x2  I use and like the Mo-Pod.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2018, 03:21 PM »
I highly recommend the pro - the recordings are super fun to share with friends.
Here is one of mine on that camera.

Hey does the video-out on that one play from the DVR?  Or does the video-out support only the live signal like earlier models?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2018, 03:24 PM »
The pro is the DVR.I hook up the USB to my PC at night and download the day's recordings.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline crappie55409

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2018, 03:48 PM »
I got a Marcum recon 5+ last year.  I used it less than I thought I would.  I plan on using it more this year but its really a pan to unwind the cable and wind it back up.  Its a very slow and tedious process and I guess I didn't always have the patience to fiddle with it.  I bought it for scouting bottom content and new areas.  For that purpose I think it can be really helpful I just have to either learn how to use it more efficiently or just be more patient with it and accept its a little cumbersome. 

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2018, 04:03 PM »
When it comes to winding cables, the AquaVu micro is awesome with the built-in reel to handle the cable. I can deploy and store the cable in a seconds.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2018, 04:05 PM »
The pro is the DVR.I hook up the USB to my PC at night and download the day's recordings.

But have you ever tried to play the recordings on the video out jack?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2018, 04:06 PM »
Never tried to play them that way.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Did you do much recording? I just picked up the 5.0 this morning but might take it back for the pro. Thanks

I did a little, but frankly, a paddle kayak is less than ideal for managing the cable and movement. I'm planning to record more on the ice with a mopod/cable compass type setup.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2018, 07:44 AM »
hey guys; whats a Mo-Pod? got a link?  thanks, wire

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Hey does the video-out on that one play from the DVR?  Or does the video-out support only the live signal like earlier models?

I don't think the video out  will work on a tv as mine didn't ...I have both the Micro II and the 5 both with DVR ..great for scouting ...couple tips tips the camera down 45 degs for scouting and 45 deg up for recording ..I made some mods when I first got mine.

I use this and a rubber ball with a cut in it for camera direction control ..attached to the front of my tub...I also rigged up a Genz box for on ice ..sort no pictures ...but use a GoPro mount similar in my shelter hoop for viewing

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:18 AM »
o.k., thanks, wire

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.