Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice forming  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice forming
« on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:39 AM »
Went on a run through some of our deer hunting grounds near Red Rock last nite and was somewhat suprised to find some of the small ponds skimmed over.... looks like we are getting closer than I had previously thought...  :tipup: tight lines, good luck and be safe out there

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Ice forming
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:35 PM »
Went on a run through some of our deer hunting grounds near Red Rock last nite and was somewhat suprised to find some of the small ponds skimmed over.... looks like we are getting closer than I had previously thought...  :tipup: tight lines, good luck and be safe out there

Yep. Buddy said east was skimmed over. Said spirit had ice on the shore....weather is cooling down the water so when it does stay cold it will freeze up the lakes quick.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:41 PM »
A small pond here in a ames had a small skim on it this afternoon.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Small sloughs and marshes around Cedar Rapids have been mostly skimmed over for several days now.

Some smaller ponds that hold decent fish populations are partially or mostly ice covered now.

Too bad that will all be gone by the weekend, but it is still good to get the water and ground cooled down so when winter really arrives in a few weeks things will lock up that much quicker.
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Saw several ponds that were completely skimmed over here in central Iowa today. Weather doesn’t look overly warm so the water won’t warm too much. Like someone already said should lock up and form ice pretty fast. Gotta get my quad fixed and ready to roll!

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2018, 11:27 AM »
A lot of ponds here in NE IA are frozen over too.  Ground temp is still holding very cold and pretty much froze solid...might be an early ice year!
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2018, 08:52 AM »
Drove across the mile long bridge over Red Rock yesterday afternoon and it was all locked up as far as the eye could see no wind and 7°F helped out to make that happen for sure. I know NONE of it is safe ice yet. The lake is still high not sure how that will play out even if we do get "safe ice" this year...

Offline cbducks78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Regarding Red Rock iced over.  I would not plan to walk on that at all this year.  Check out river gages  http://rivergages.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/shefgraph-forecast2.cfm?sid=PELI4&fid=PELI4&d=7&dt=S

They plan to drop that lake down 10' over the next few weeks. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.