Author Topic: Favorite lures for the trophy hunt on the ice  (Read 1950 times)

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Favorite lures for the trophy hunt on the ice
« on: Nov 02, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Definitely the slab rap , rippin raps , and a new one the z-vibe lures. I've caught more than my fair share of slabbers

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Favorite lures for the trophy hunt on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2018, 09:37 PM »
The lure I usually start/stick with is a rattle spoon in various sizes, consequently they also caught all my biggest fish. Though, when I want to catch the larger of the group or when the fish are being aggressive, I’ll switch to a chubby darter. I’m confident the rippin rap and slab rap will catch big fish, but I’ve yet to give them a real trial as I’m usually fishing for trout or perch, with bass mixed in. 

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2018, 11:52 PM »
I've caught tons of bass on the raps n slabraps also few perch as well.  I also use the perch talkers they work on multiple species.   I do as well use rattle spoons alot I either start out with them or .over to them after small jigs testing for aggressiveness if the bite is hot I definitely move to the raps to Target bigger fish after I get the take home almost full

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2018, 04:58 AM »
Well, I like my Fiskas Wolframs for "trophy" gills...does that count?  ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 03, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Well, I like my Fiskas Wolframs for "trophy" gills...does that count?  ;D
I do my “trophy” gill hunt during the summer months, as my favorite gill lake has current and very limited/no parking during the winter. I didn’t get a chance to go after them this year though. They’re an invasive species here, “luckily” they aren’t everywhere, but this past year I Discovered they are in one of my most frequented warm water lakes so I might be catching more in the future.
During the summer, they are aggressive, and my go to rig for all species also catches my biggest gills, a 2.5” gulp minnow on a 1/8oz crappie jig head with a wire keeper. Funny thing is I’ve never fished this combo under the ice, buts it’s almost all I throw during open water.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 03, 2018, 08:12 AM »
I do my “trophy” gill hunt during the summer months, as my favorite gill lake has current and very limited/no parking during the winter. I didn’t get a chance to go after them this year though. They’re an invasive species here, “luckily” they aren’t everywhere, but this past year I Discovered they are in one of my most frequented warm water lakes so I might be catching more in the future.
During the summer, they are aggressive, and my go to rig for all species also catches my biggest gills, a 2.5” gulp minnow on a 1/8oz crappie jig head with a wire keeper. Funny thing is I’ve never fished this combo under the ice, buts it’s almost all I throw during open water.

Nice slabs...congrats! But invasive? Wow...they are by far my favorite fish to eat. :-\
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2018, 08:26 AM »
Nice slabs...congrats! But invasive? Wow...they are by far my favorite fish to eat. :-\
Yep, our only native sunfish are pumpkinseeds and redbreast, Black crappie and blue gills were illegally introduced, LM/SM Bass (also sunfish family) were originally stocked by the state in some southern waters, but bucket bios have spread them through the state and into native trout and salmon waters.

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2018, 08:30 AM »
I like using the raps for ones this size when I get close to limit

Gotta get some pigs too lol

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HīPē F˙Sh
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2018, 08:33 AM »
the z-vibe lure

Whats your thoughts on the this lure? I posted about it last winter but there wasn't much activity on it because it was so new I think.... It sure looks fishy though...

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2018, 10:47 AM »
This will be my first year through the ice with it.   Jigged it a lil bit at the pond a week or so ago n has great action n caught a few bass n crappie.   Also seen some YouTube video where the guy was using it.   Seems to be a great lure so we will see this season how it preforms on the ice

Offline MisterIzzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ruining Everybody's Good Time
« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2018, 03:02 PM »
When they have the feedbag on and I want to start up-sizing the fish, I usually switch to a 3/8th oz. Rippin Shad from Northland Tackle or the equivalent size of chubby darter.  Even if the fish don't up-size, the way that aggressive fish blast these lures is insane. 
Check out the Great Lakes Goofers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knttuPRpZbk

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2018, 05:17 AM »
My vote is for the Salmo Chubby Darter!

Offline klbeeks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2018, 05:36 PM »
Slender spoons, and vmc tingler spoons. Always have one of these tied on while targeting gills and crappie.
Fish On'

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:38 AM »
My go to lure has to without a doubt be the one I tie on the night before a trip that gets broken off after a monster hit

Offline Jig_Head

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2018, 05:07 PM »
My go to lure has to without a doubt be the one I tie on the night before a trip that gets broken off after a monster hit
:roflmao: :roflmao:
When hell freezes over ill ice fish there too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.