Author Topic: New to Indiana and looking for a little direction (Indianapolis area)  (Read 1409 times)

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Moved West Michigan --> Indianapolis
Hello fellow ice fisherman (and women)!

I recently made the move from West Michigan to Indianapolis for a job. I'm starting to do some research to find a handful of lakes to target this winter and would love some help from anyone willing to steer me in the right direction. I am open to bluegill, crappie, perch, and walleye mostly. Don't need any secret honey holes, but a list of lakes or areas to focus on would be extremely helpful. Feel free to PM me!

Also, if anyone is making trips up to Michigan and would like some info just shoot me a message. Saginaw Bay is the real deal and everyone should get up there if the ice is safe this winter.

Thanks in advance and I hope for a long and safe ice fishing season for each and everyone of you...tight lines!

Offline fwcanoefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular

I recently made the move from West Michigan to Indianapolis for a job. I'm starting to do some research to find a handful of lakes to target this winter and would love some help from anyone willing to steer me in the right direction. I am open to bluegill, crappie, perch, and walleye mostly. Don't need any secret honey holes, but a list of lakes or areas to focus on would be extremely helpful. Feel free to PM me!

Also, if anyone is making trips up to Michigan and would like some info just shoot me a message. Saginaw Bay is the real deal and everyone should get up there if the ice is safe this winter.

Thanks in advance and I hope for a long and safe ice fishing season for each and everyone of you...tight lines!

Welcome to Indiana.  As for ice-fishing, you're best off going to northern Indiana to get on ice.  Sometimes the ice down there is sufficient, sometimes it's not.  There are guys that live in that area that can tell you better than I can, but I find that the good ice line tends to run along US24.

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks for the info fwcanoefisher! I had a feeling that I would need to drive north to get to some safe ice unless we get a top notch ice season. But, that is something I am willing to do in order to get on the hard water.

Thanks again!

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah unfortunately not to.much safe ice last few years down by Indy.   At least from what I understand.   But if you come up north let me know I'll help ya get on some lakes n fish with ya

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
Sounds like I will just have to plan on driving north. Looking forward to finding some new fishing buddies as well!

CrappieJigger29 - what area of the state do you fish the most?

Offline CrappieJigger29

• Team IceShanty Regular
Porter and Laporte county area the most but will venture out towards fort Wayne and some other areas as well

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
sally n missy reservoirs get ice.  plenty of eater crappie live there too.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
As river_ scum stated the Salamonie(sally) and Missinnawa (missy) provide good crappie fishing for numbers and quality with a few hogs mixed in. Both resi's are easy to locate fishing areas where most fish and aren't more than an hr from indy. For some reason the ice comes on the sally really quick and is almost always the first place a person can get on. Bluegils have been getting much better the last couple yrs in both resi's and are now worth targeting. You'll see lots of reports on here when the fishing begins here. From what you'll see on here there is a lot of good places closer to indy for a variety of species. You just have to go while the going is safe. I think indy area gets safe ice every year just doesn't stay safe all season and may come on and off several times. Stay tuned to reports and don't be afraid to ask guys.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
You might want to start training or the State Rd  105  "death march" at Salamonie.  that's one heck of a hill to climb
Where in Indy?  am northside

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
Thank you guys so much for the information! Sounds like sally and missy are places for me to keep an eye on. I will be writing all of this down and will continue to visit the forum for updated information.

rivereddy - I am in an apartment downtown (east side)

Offline onebadc20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yeah everyone above is right, we never get ice down south   ;D.  In all seriousness, I moved from MI (Saginaw area) to Columbus back in 2007.  I have been able to fish the hardwater every single year down here and I'm an hour south of Indy.  Some years it may only be for a week, and others we have 12+" of ice on the big lakes. 

Offline kcskypilot

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A nice day!

Hi George!

I'm in South Bend right up 31 from you. I fish a lot around here and right over the MI border. I'm always looking for someone new to fish with.

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
You guys are awesome! I will definitely be getting in touch with some of you when we get closer to hard water. I already have my yearly trip planned to Little Bay De Noc in Michigan UP shortly after Christmas. Always a fun first trip to "scratch that itch" if you know what I mean!

Offline IceSkak

• Team IceShanty Regular
North Webster Indiana..I stay at Dixie Haven Resort. Plenty of ice and lots of fishing opportunities.

Offline rivermoo

• IceShanty Rookie
I am from Huntington County and I started ice fishing last year. I fishing mainly the salamonie at 105 bridge. You will have good fishing there but not always have a lot of size. The walk back up the hill is a lung buster, but there is some good fishing there and sometimes a lot of people there too.

Offline georgeb

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks rivermoo for the info! I've heard a couple people mention that body of water, so I will have to check that out.

Offline jbrubaker1988

• IceShanty Rookie
Hey there George!

I'm up here in Warsaw.  They call it the Lake City. Plenty of lakes around here to fish.  Always up for having a buddy to fish with!

Offline Frenchman

• IceShanty Rookie
Summit Lake is generally another option that could be closer to home for you.  For some reason it generally freezes up pretty quick as well.
Paul
Formerly Out_Of_Ideas
All I wanted to do was watch someone Ice Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.