The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Changing dacron?  (Read 819 times)

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
Changing dacron?
« on: Sep 11, 2018, 09:54 PM »
The countdown has started! I still need to make it through Laker/Salmon season and hunting season but I've got a corner of the basement with some tip ups ready and waiting. It occurred to me today it has been years since I've changed the dacron on my tip ups. But then... why would I? It seems to be in great shape. Any reason to change it just because it's old?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Changing dacron?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2018, 06:37 PM »
check it by pulling it apart. I got one of my dad's old (30 +) boat reels with Dacron and it  was still strong. I didn't trust it so I changed it anyways.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2018, 09:47 AM »
Check it, if for nothing else than peace of mind.
Would you rather find out the line would break at home while giving the gear a "once over" or while you were playing your personal best "trophy-worthy" fish on the ice?

I check my gear and line every fall so that it's one less problem I should encounter on the ice.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Ditto Fishermantim's thoughts I do not use my tipups much anymore but at one time changed the line every 2 years to be more secure line would not break. I believe long time Ice Shanty sponsor Fish 307 sells bulk spools of Dacron in 27 and 36 pound test.
Steve

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2018, 10:58 AM »
x2 hammah...

I've got Dacron on spools that's been there over 15 years. It differs from nylon in that it does not dry rot and that is a big difference. Sure, I'll put on some gloves and give it a good yank every year but in the end it winds up getting another year older. This, of course, does not hold true for mono or fluoro.

Change for peace of mind? I just bolted on a new trailer hitch. Had guys pushing each other at the metal recycle trailer to see who could get the old one. It wasn't horrible mind you but 11 years of WI winters and salt roads had taken their eventual toll and it made me nervous. I'll drive this vehicle out another 80K or better and I'd have to do it sooner or later. Rather not wait to lose my boat and all that's in it before I get 'round to it.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.