Author Topic: Ok ladies and gentleman what is a Fin Bore auger?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok ladies and gentleman what is a Fin Bore auger?
« on: Aug 10, 2018, 04:45 PM »
Is this just a Mora auger brand? I see it mentiones on here many times I have googled it but can find no one that sells Finbore augers. Are they from Canada or overseas? What Am I missing.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ok ladies and gentleman what is a Fin Bore auger?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2018, 05:07 PM »
 look under normark finbore augers , fish 307 carries them but it’s a seasonal thing , plus they are a sponsor

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2018, 05:26 PM »
I think Rapala bought them out - still listing the Finbore augers though.  Yes, Fish 307 carries them.  I have one of the 6" Micros (no longer produced) they are a nice "shaver" type auger.  Good for use on a cordless drill system.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2018, 08:05 PM »
I believe they came out of Canada. I bought one a couple years ago, the last time they were offered in the US. Offset handle 5 inch and uses 6 inch lazer blades.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2018, 09:15 PM »
They are essentially a strikemaster lazer/mora with an offset handle. I’ve never used one or seen one in person but from what I gather, they are a pretty solid auger.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline djlangen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2018, 09:59 PM »
Crossroads Outdoors in Chestertown, NY sells 4"'-6" Normark FinBore augers. Last time I checked, the price was around $110 plus shipping. You can call them at 518-494-3821 to check for availability.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 10, 2018, 10:12 PM »
Hex act same auger has a lazer. Only it has the offset handles like a Nils.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2018, 05:43 PM »
Would it be hard to find blades being out of the USA?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2018, 06:10 PM »
Mrpike1973 to my knowledge the Fin Bore auger are made by Normark out of Sweden or Finland. Believe FishForPike is correct and Normark is now part of Rapala group  know as Ice Force. Fin Bore are better know in Canada, Agronomist is correct basically same design as Strike Master Lazer only with off set handle. Both hands are used to turn off set handle auger once you have technique down fast cutting auger. Strike Master Lazer blades of same hole cutting diameter will fit on the Fin Bore .So replacement blades readily available if you live in U.S.A. I checked Fish 307's website Fin Bore 3 auger with 6 inch diameter listed but currently out of stock. When back in stock will most likely rise back up in price to $175.00 from current price of $150.00 .
Steve

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Aug 11, 2018, 07:13 PM »
They are made in Sweden by Mora and imported into Canada by Normark which,I believe, is a CDN company.I bought my replacement blades from Basspro(US) for what I thought was a good price. I have not used themas yet---maybe they are cheap Chinese knockoffs.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2018, 08:09 PM »
Thank you for information SirCranksalot. Look at the blades should be stamped with place of manufacture.
Steve

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2018, 08:58 PM »
Thank you very much all. I noticed that the Clam brand auger looks just like the Fin Bore it does not have the welded support bars on them. Watching a few of there videos looks like it does not bind. My only question is is it a cheaper knock off of the Fin Bore or Lazer? At 80 bucks it's way cheaper than the Fin Bore. Rumer had it they were made for Clam by Strikemaster. Thanks all.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2018, 12:51 AM »
Thank you very much all. I noticed that the Clam brand auger looks just like the Fin Bore it does not have the welded support bars on them. Watching a few of there videos looks like it does not bind. My only question is is it a cheaper knock off of the Fin Bore or Lazer? At 80 bucks it's way cheaper than the Fin Bore. Rumer had it they were made for Clam by Strikemaster. Thanks all.

Clam hand augers were and are not made by Strikemaster. Strikemaster is a part of the ice force product line up owned by Rapala and are a competitor of Clam's.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2018, 10:03 PM »
Clam hand augers were and are not made by Strikemaster. Strikemaster is a part of the ice force product line up owned by Rapala and are a competitor of Clam's.

I'm pretty sure clam nor rapala own a manufacturing plant to make hand augers. If it's like a lot of things, I'm sure a common manufacturer takes orders from the companies and makes most of the hand augers. Then they paint and do the specs on them the buyer wants. Anything out of the standard "specs" would be an expensive cost. Hence why u see so many flat blade shaving augers & curved blade augers that are the same thing with different paint on them.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2018, 05:18 AM »
On the Rapala site they have the Fin-Bore labeled as "Made In Sweden".  And I was surprised to see that they may have 8" augers in stock?!

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2018, 03:15 PM »
I had my 4.5 finbore for 7-8 years
Same blades still cuts great
I use it for duecer hole or looking for fish
Yes offset handle to pretty much cut one side then other to reduce the strength it takes to turn in half

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.