Author Topic: Eskimo Viper fuel problems  (Read 740 times)

Offline tim h

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Viper fuel problems
« on: Apr 29, 2018, 08:27 AM »
like others, fuel constantly dribbles+ out of the primer line into air filter while running, dripping fuel out of air box.  S33Q8 VIPER, single hole grommet fuel line, no return.

complete carb clean (I mean COM-PLETE) done - I think I need a new carb

can I retrofit this with a carb for say STINGRAY, which has a primary and return line to/from tank with a TWO hole grommet kit?

newbie here - I did several searches and while I have learned proper cold start procedures, my issue is after it is running - it basically runs on the dribble coming out of primer line into carb.  I've double checked lines and they are on correctly, not reversed (another good thing to learn).
Many thanks all

Offline tim h

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Viper fuel problems
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2018, 07:23 PM »
Hello all, I took carb apart (again) and cleaned (again) - still leaning toward need a new carb. prime suspect is the diaphragm.  I just don't know enough about the compatibility of a STINGRAY TWO HOLE set up vs a VIPER ONE HOLE set up to know if it'll work.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2018, 10:06 PM »
Howdy....   My knowledge is mostly from runnin Jiffys, but I dont understand how you are gettin gas dribble out of the primer line which should be just have air from primer bulb that pushes up the diaphram to let gas into carb throat???  Diaphrams and fuel needles can be a reason to start drinkin sometimes!!  Let us know how you make out!  Regards, Old John
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline tim h

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2018, 06:17 AM »
thanks for the thought - on this unit, the primer line from bulb goes straight into the air box, the filter acts as both an air filter and somewhat of a holding sponge for left over primer fuel.  bad design I guess and well documented.  That is part of the reason for my thought about replacing the carb with a STINGRAY type and replacing the single hole fuel line/grommet assembly with a two hole so that the whole priming operation is more normal.  I just don't know if that would work and I really don't wish to buy a carb I can't use.

I had never seen a setup like this, guess there's first time for everything!

anyone else have any thoughts or ideas on this one? 

many Thanks

Offline tim h

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 09:38 PM »
UPDATE - solved.
New carb
New fuel lines and filter

narrowed it to the diaphragm.  thanks all for the replies

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 07:33 PM »
Tim H a belated welcome to Ice Shanty activity on this website slows down at this time of year as folks start their open water fishing. Glad you were able to find and fix problem with you gas powered auger. Since you choose not to include a location with your avatar I have no idea if this bait shop is anywhere near you, but might want to keep in mind if you have future problems.

In Auburn,Maine there is Dag's bait shop they repair and sell reconditioned power auger. They sponsor the Maine forum on this website,if you go to Maine forum/community you will see their logo on top of page put your cursor arrow on logo and left click will take you to their website. a good and safe open water season to you. Hope this info. might be of some help in the future.
Steve

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 02:50 PM »
I'm glad you got it fixed and welcome to the site, glad to have you here with us.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.