Author Topic: coldest day of of the year for me  (Read 1981 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
coldest day of of the year for me
« on: Mar 19, 2018, 01:01 PM »
Fished yesterday probably my last trip of the season with a friend , too much to do now. Fished in the Grafton area, not the likely spot but a local pond. It was the most brutal conditions I have fished in and I can attest to the fact that the shapell fx popover single man shelter was worth its weight in Gold. Temp was -6 or so when I arrived no wind but that came later. I set my back to the wind, and packed snow around the flaps to keep it secure. I was amazed how well it stood up and protected me from the wind. It was sunny so it warmed up decent inside didn't even need gloves most of the time. Outside was another story, only ran 3 tipups, had many flags that kept breaking off pickerel were cutting me off even with 10lb leader, being a trout guy I thought 10 was enough, it wasn't, We managed 2 pig pickerel and a LMB and countless YP. We made the most of it but it wasn't pleasant. The walk back off was 2x as hard as the walk out, the bottom of the sleds were scraping on the snow . It was a hard day but still got a few fish. I have packed it up, Ill be airing out my striker suit and running the boot dryer for a few days, charge my batteries etc. Good luck to anyone still fishing. From what I saw up north the ice will be around for a while,  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: coldest day of of the year for me
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2018, 01:47 PM »
I was thinking about you yesterday glad you survived it I would have died. See you on the softwater. I hope to get a few hardwater trips in when I get back.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2018, 02:25 PM »
I was thinking about you yesterday glad you survived it I would have died. See you on the softwater. I hope to get a few hardwater trips in when I get back.
we will see maybe I can meet you out your way. lots to do, enjoy FLA
Salmonemia

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2018, 02:31 PM »
It was cold for sure in NY with the wind yesterday.  Got out there on day this year for a -22 start. That sucked!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2018, 02:33 PM »
Great work getting out Wayne! All said and done those are the trips I remember for a while. Makes you feel ALIVE!
Just add water.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2018, 02:56 PM »
I was out yesterday and it was the worst day I've had on the ice ever...... Everything that went wrong did except for falling through. I was expecting to get a flat tire on the way home to top off an awful day
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2018, 03:45 PM »
I was out yesterday and it was the worst day I've had on the ice ever...... Everything that went wrong did except for falling through. I was expecting to get a flat tire on the way home to top off an awful day

Sounds like one of my days...starting with frozen trailer parts/locks, then broken ratchet straps, wind induced birds nests etc.
Usually gets better as the day passes though. sounds like you should have stayed in bed!

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2018, 04:50 PM »
I went out today and had a decent morning. Had to jimmyrig my popup because i had two giant holes in it. Worked out well and got 27 lakers and was nice and warm despite the weather! This wasn't bad at all compared to earlier this season, I went fishing multiple times when the wind chill was below -25.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2018, 04:56 PM »
I went out today and had a decent morning. Had to jimmyrig my popup because i had two giant holes in it. Worked out well and got 27 lakers and was nice and warm despite the weather! This wasn't bad at all compared to earlier this season, I went fishing multiple times when the wind chill was below -25.

27 lakers is an awesome day!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:27 PM »
The crew talked today..gear is coming back out and we are going out Saturday..this weather is so crazy
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:32 PM »
The crew talked today..gear is coming back out and we are going out Saturday..this weather is so crazy
Is it the place we discussed?
Salmonemia

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2018, 06:52 PM »
Is it the place we discussed?
no..not sure where are going..smallie hunting somewhere
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2018, 06:23 AM »
I went out today and had a decent morning. Had to jimmyrig my popup because i had two giant holes in it. Worked out well and got 27 lakers and was nice and warm despite the weather!

27 lakers that’s a banner day. Nice work!
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2018, 02:59 PM »

Sounds like one of my days...starting with frozen trailer parts/locks, then broken ratchet straps, wind induced birds nests etc.
Usually gets better as the day passes though. sounds like you should have stayed in bed!
Totally should have stayed in bed!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 20, 2018, 05:15 PM »
Sometimes you need misery to appreciate the good days...it will be a distant memory soon enough. ..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 20, 2018, 09:39 PM »
Sometimes you need misery to appreciate the good days...it will be a distant memory soon enough. ..

Totally agree!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2018, 07:23 AM »

precisely!
Just add water.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Mar 21, 2018, 09:52 AM »

Trading cold, wind and ice for bad tides, mung in the water and googans! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.