New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Cigarette Butts on the Ice  (Read 4983 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Cigarette Butts on the Ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:21 AM »
now this year I found a lot less trash on the ice or in the parking areas .....otisco the only thing I found was those stupid leaflets  that the dinner was sticking on windshields ...little hint to people that do that  ....don't touch my truck ...if I caught you it wouldn't be good ...I don't  leave trash on your  car for you to take care of! ....

anyways  otisco was clean  ...sandy pond  even big bay was in great shape ..... :thumbsup:

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:27 AM »
Three cheers to the few who may have learned some manners.  Now if we can just get this to catch on

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:32 AM »
It's the same old story every year. Ice fishermen with some respect for the environment find  garbage left by a few pigs. It's the same on a hiking trail, on the beach, in the town park, in the shopping center parking lot, along the highway. It's everywhere.  Where can you go that the area has not been spoiled by a few idiots. I don't know the answer except for the fact that if you have no self respect, you will have none for any one else. Or any where for that matter. I too clean fish on the ice sometimes. All the carcasses go down the hole. At least the crayfish or some other scavenger will eat. I also eat my lunch on the ice. All my food wrappers go home in my bucket. Where they came from. Last night I was visiting with another fisherman on Saratoga Lake. He seemed like a nice enough fellow with a desire to make new friends. All was well until I walked a little closer and noticed the 10 or so cigarette butts on the ice. I wonder what else he had slipped below the ice. If you are reading this, I hope you understand why you suddenly got a cold shoulder.    YOUR NOT MY BUDDY
I'm a smoker too, but it has been a mission of mine to change these people. It's always a delicate subject, but depending on whom you're dealing with. The right words can change a dude. Most often I bring up the potential for encon heat. I'm not beyond lying to a fisherman about getting screamed at by encon. It has never happened, but I've repeated the same made up story 100 time's about getting yelled at by an officer. You'd be surprised how quick a dude starts picking them up.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:59 AM »
it's not a delicate subject at all if you get caught throwing a cigarette out your car window  ,you'll get a ticket .....there is no delicate subject here  it's wrong  and  you just have  to stand up and say it ......

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:13 AM »
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:17 AM »
 :clap:

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2018, 02:54 PM »
One of the worst things I've ever come across fishing was when I got home to clean the rainbows I caught ice fishing from Moreau and found a cigarette but in its stomach contents. I had to throw the fish away because of how disgusting it was to find in something so pure and clean that I eat.

dav 
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 21, 2018, 03:02 PM »
it's not a delicate subject at all if you get caught throwing a cigarette out your car window  ,you'll get a ticket .....there is no delicate subject here  it's wrong  and  you just have  to stand up and say it ......
You get more flies with honey though man. I have an easier time swaying someone's mindest by being nice. If I started yelling at everyone I saw throwing butts it would ruin my own time as much as theirs. Some people punch when you start yelling and throwing shade. I'd rather not find out who is who.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline swampking89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishin rules!!!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 21, 2018, 03:26 PM »
I always bring an empty bag with me to pick up.i don't complain,just do it.whether its hard or soft water,just do it!!

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 21, 2018, 04:08 PM »
You get more flies with honey though man. I have an easier time swaying someone's mindest by being nice. If I started yelling at everyone I saw throwing butts it would ruin my own time as much as theirs. Some people punch when you start yelling and throwing shade. I'd rather not find out who is who.

I have to agree with pechslyr that by trying to be nice you will get you a lot further than being threatening.  If you are threatening they are more likely to be defiant and uncooperative, but if you approach them with respect and enter into a conversation about the subject, you may get through to them.  I have a tendency to be aggressive sometimes and that tends to make people defensive and not want to listen to me.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Feb 21, 2018, 04:33 PM »
I am not a smoker but to tell you the truth a butt here and there never bothered me. But I don't like to see a pile of them in one spot.

Funny, when I pulled into Dorchester Park at Whitney Point Saturday for the Crappie Derby, I noticed a large sign near the park entrance  that said " This park is a smoke free zone" No smoking allowed !
I did see some people smoking, but none of them threw their butts in the parking lot or on the ice.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:56 PM »

you got a cell phone ? make the call........I guess I don't care about catching flies .........and yes I have gotten plate numbers and turned them in ....

All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing ....Edmond burke

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:11 PM »
Trapper did you forget about all the fire wood we found on otisco..looked like a mess to me mr.ohhhh i forgot your getting old and the memory thing is comming into play👍👍👍👍

Offline bigfish1212

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 21, 2018, 07:36 PM »
My old neighbor girl used to field strip her butts...she wasn't military, she just cared about the environment and her Mother Earth.
She'd twist the paper and tobacco out and put the filter in her jeans pocket...She finally quit smoking using Chantix...Good girl!
That's what I've always done never throw them on the ground it does seem to bug me even more when I see a pile on the ice.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #44 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:17 PM »
you got a cell phone ? make the call........I guess I don't care about catching flies .........and yes I have gotten plate numbers and turned them in ....

U would make the call for a cig butt ? Lmao why don't u call Mom  ;D  I would take care of it myself and tell him that's real nice ..... And look at him like a douchebag. It's a cig butt

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I wonder , were any of you so discussed so upset at the  damage this  was causing ... that you picked any of the cigarette buts up?

just wondering ?complaining isn't enough ....carry a bag and pick trash and litter up !  if you step over it and leave it your just as quilty as the people that left it .

that's a load of b.s right there.  just enabling them lazy sob's, and butts are right up there with picking up snotty kleenex and used rubbers. 

i already pick up enough litter i'm not about to start covering for lazy smokers.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:23 PM »
that's a load of b.s right there.  just enabling them lazy sob's, and butts are right up there with picking up snotty kleenex and used rubbers. 

i already pick up enough litter i'm not about to start covering for lazy smokers.

if you can walk by a mess your just as quilty as the  slob that made it ......I carry a bag  and a pair of latex gloves for stuff like that .....I look at it like this  if  trash blew onto my lawn I would pick it up ....well the  outdoors is my lawn and I like it looking good .....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:32 PM »
Trapper did you forget about all the fire wood we found on otisco..looked like a mess to me mr.ohhhh i forgot your getting old and the memory thing is comming into play👍👍👍👍

dan that bon fire was made by the people that own the house  where the kids skate

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 21, 2018, 09:45 PM »
if you can walk by a mess your just as quilty as the  slob that made it ..

that is likely the most unreasonable quote on the internet.  was i the lazy prick that put it there in the first place?  no, i'm just an innocent bystander that may or may not do the right thing and pick up the trash.  in no way am i as quilty as the sob that put it there in the first place.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:46 AM »
They are just as guilty as anyone else by leaving the wood out there 👍👍

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #50 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:31 AM »
that is likely the most unreasonable quote on the internet.  was i the lazy prick that put it there in the first place?  no, i'm just an innocent bystander that may or may not do the right thing and pick up the trash.  in no way am i as quilty as the sob that put it there in the first place.

first ran7ger this is a family sight ,we don't talk dirty or us profanity ,my grandchildren read this along with a lot of other woman and children .....number two ,sorry my opinion ,if your using the outdoors then in fact you should in fact help pick it up ....but no worries ran7ger ....I'll do it .and the reason i do it is for me ,I don't want to fish in filth ,I don't want beer bottles  cigarette butts and  mc donalds bags floating in my waterways .....if you can't do it   just step outta the way ...plenty of people  on here that pick up trash every time the encounter it out on the lake ....if trash blows into your front yard do you leave it to rot or do you pick it up and toss it in the trash can??? the lake is your front yard too !

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:36 AM »
They are just as guilty as anyone else by leaving the wood out there 👍👍

you do know that wood was picked up and they are the  very towns people that could complain to their elected officals to put up no parking signs? they have hockey partys ...they live on the lake and they picked it up.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:12 AM »
I didnt know they picked it up that was decent of them..i was just saying ppl like that can also give us fisherman a bad name...

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:18 AM »
Yea ran7anger...my son reads this also hes 9 no cussing whats up with that..almost posative this threads gonna get spanked now to..🔴

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:25 AM »
I was out fishing when the mother and father were out walking the dog .nice people , they do that every year  I think the do it on a regular bases .

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:27 AM »
Read ur mail trapper. 😄😄

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 22, 2018, 03:29 AM »
I know they ice skate alot out there last yr they snow blowed it off brought out the garden hose for about 2 hrs they made that nice and smooth...

Offline FishnChef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:28 AM »
I'll start this by saying I'm a smoker myself but my butt's always go home with me I and when I'm driving I have an ashtray. I live in Lake Placid area and on at least a bi weekly basis I end up behind some scumbag driving along the Ausable River and out of their window comes a cigarette butt, it makes me Furious. I've often wondered if I take down plates and call the Troopers or a conservation officer if they would do anything but I think i got my answer last week when I was behind a police officer who was behind a truck with New Jersey plates when they pitched a cigarette out the window, at night so I'm relatively certain he saw it , and didn't get pulled over. Has anyone ever asked an officer if they would go give someone a ticket for littering if we gave them plate number? I know they can do it for traffic offenses because when I was younger I got a reckless driving ticket four months after the incident when a trooper showed up at my door. I made a risky pass and someone took down my plate number and reported me

Offline Kendog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:40 PM »
A smoker on the ice cost me $250 recently.

As I watched a smoker take his last loooong drag on his smoke, I had to see what would come of the butt. Sure enough it was rolled up in his fingers and thrown in a guarded direction onto the ice. So I marched over and politely asked him to please pick up his trash as the ice is not his ash tray. I sensed his discomfort but he complied.

Very shortly after his fishing partner walked straight over to me (certain to defend his buddy's action) and began friendly chatter. He shared info, technique, and the best thing of all - the features of his Vexilar.

You guessed it, I had to go get a Vex too, $250.

But as for trash, I hate it. I don't understand a littering mentality at all - and I don't understand not returning a shopping cart to the corral either.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #59 on: Feb 22, 2018, 07:45 PM »
U people that want to call over a cig butt got to get a life...... Get over it . Be a good dam man and say something ....... And your kids got alot coming for them if they can't handle ice shanty.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.