Author Topic: Best Drill for Clam Plate with auger???  (Read 6510 times)

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
Best Drill for Clam Plate with auger???
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:18 PM »
One of my fishing buddies recently purchased a clam plate adaptor with auger. He already had a 20 volt DeWalt drill. After drilling about 40-50 holes through 12 inches of ice over the last couple of weeks, yesterday, the drill smoked out. >:( As an appliance repair man here used to have a sign in his shop. It said "Contrary to popular belief, electric motors don't run on electricity, they run on smoke. And when the smoke leaks out they don't run any more". That is the case with my buddies DeWalt. Nothing wrong with DeWalt, just probably not the right one for the task. Looking for suggestions for a new drill. Thanks in advance and Tight Lines!   

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Best Drill for Clam Plate with auger???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Chevy!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Nothing wrong with Dewalt, Milwalkee or Ridgid. Just got to get a brushless drill with 700 Plus pounds of torque.
<===Lefty===

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:14 PM »
Look up the specs that the k-drill recommends and that's a good formula to go by.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:38 PM »
Don't even waste your time to consider any other.  Search for your best price and buy this kit :  https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2704-22

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2018, 06:39 PM »
Don't even waste your time to consider any other.  Search for your best price and buy this kit :  https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2704-22

X2- Second year with this dill on a Clam plate.  Lots of holes; very happy.

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies. In regards to the Milwaukee, why a hammer drill instead of just a drill driver? I would assume you would not use it in a hammer mode? Thanks again for the replies.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Built heavier they say

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Seems as though Milwaukee is the favorite. Thanks for the help!

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:23 PM »
Yep - Any of those drills will work.  K Drill says to have a torque of 1200 in - lbs, and as long as you are above the 700 you should be good.  Get a 5 ah battery, and you should be good for 25 + holes depending on depth of hole.  Also heard that if you intend on drilling alot of holes right after each other, its best to let the drill and battery take a break. 

Me - I have the Milwaukee 2704-20 drill and the K Drill.  Love it, but I have other Milwaukee tools, so I stayed with the brand. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:56 PM »
MKE cold weather engineers their batteries, they seem to last a long time in bitter cold.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:29 PM »
One thing to ask is what size auger was he using? I have a 6" on a compact ridged. Been using it for 3 years now and don't have a problem. Used it to drill through 20" of ice and it went through without a hitch. Also, how old and how used was your buddies Dewalt? It is suggested to use a hammer drill because the motors are a bit stronger, more torque. But you're right, you don't use it in the hammer mode.

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:51 PM »
His auger is a 6" also. As far as the age of the drill it was not very old. I just feel it was not heavy duty enough for the task. I think he will purchase the Milwaukee as all have recommended because no sense reinventing the wheel. Good to know that Milwaukee takes the cold into account on their batteries. He just now needs to find a good sale!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2018, 07:05 PM »
The Fuel is a beast, but if its only purpose in life is to spin a 6" auger it's overkill. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:12 AM »
Like I said, I use a compact Ridgid. The Fuego. It has a puny 525 in/lb of torque. But it cranks a 6" HT auger through ice without a problem. What speed did he use it on. You should use the slower, high torque speed. And set it to the drill setting so the clutch doesn't engage. I use the 4ah batteries. Nothing special and the cold doesn't even factor in, I don't pamper my batteries. I don't put 'em in a pack with heat pads or keep 'em in my coat to stay warm or any of that stuff. I leave it on the drill outside my clam when I'm not drilling holes. With a full day of drilling in extreme cold temps and weather, I have never used more than half a battery. I don't even bring it in with me when it's snowing or raining.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:23 AM »
The Fuel is a beast, but if its only purpose in life is to spin a 6" auger it's overkill.
Guys spend way more on gas augers, propane augers etc. that are only used to cut ice. At least you have an option with the fuel to put it to other use. I've run the 18V fuel three years now and it's been very good w 6" lazer bit.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:17 AM »

I use a 2703 solely for spinning a 6" auger.

I have a 2604 for working- ;)

Most the guys here run the Fuel.   From 6" augers to 8" augers. Reliable. No smoke.  I can get 75-100 holes in 8" of ice using a 5AH batt.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline nhm6408

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:29 AM »
I have a Kobalt 24v hammer drill on my Clam Plate with a 6" Mora. Thing rips through ice. I would've got a Milwaukee but I didn't want to spend the cash on it. Drilled about 50 holes once and still had half a battery left (4ahr).

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:43 AM »
I just got a Makita 18v hammer drill because I already have a Makita driver Drill kit with a charger and 2 batteries, though they were only 2ah. Went online and found a pair of 5ah batteries, and then the hammer drill. (49.99) I do carpentry work so a cordless hammer drill was a good addition anyway. I have a clam plate, and the extension as well; 6" Lazer.  Sat. I went out (probably for the last time this year) and the ice was only 4.5-5". Drilled over thirty holes and went to recharge the battery when I got home and both still showed full charge. BTW I was just using a reg driver drill and this thing is a beast by comparison. Next year I will try my 7" Lazer.

Offline mainlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Another great thing about the Milwaukee is that when I'm going through 40"+ inches of ice (8" Mora) and I don't clear the shavings half way the drill bogs down and cuts out, but it doesn't smoke or smell. I just pull it up, clear the hole and continue.

Offline marknpanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:44 AM »
 I have a 6" Nils no Clam Plate with the Milwaukee Fuel. Second season average at least 600" of ice on one 4ahr battery. So Milwaukee gets my vote. I got a factory reconditioned and saved about $100 bucks from CPO.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:51 AM »
I use a 2703 solely for spinning a 6" auger.
I can get 75-100 holes in 8" of ice using a 5AH batt.

You're kind of making my point for me there.

800"(linear inches drilled) x 28.27" (Area of a 6" circle) = 22,616 cubic inches of ice removed on one 5Ah battery.

My Ryobi does 450" on one 5Ah battery on an 8" Mora.

450" x 50.27"(area of an 8" circle) = 22,621.  With a Mora, which is garbage according to a lot of folks on here, so what would it do with a Lazer or Nils?

My setup with 9Ah total worth of batteries came in at $160, the Fuel with 10Ah worth of batteries is $300.  I'm sure the Milwaukee has better quality but for the difference in the price I can get a second bare tool plus 15Ah worth of batteries.  I can literally get 6 5Ah batteries off amazon for the price of the Milwaukee 5Ah twin pack.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:41 PM »
Nothing wrong with Dewalt, Milwalkee or Ridgid. Just got to get a brushless drill with 700 Plus pounds of torque.
2X, my Dewalt 20V brushless drill has cut holes thur ice all season, near 100, and ice at the end was 24".   Still running strong. 

Offline Huntnfish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2018, 07:00 PM »
Thanks to all who replied. He appreciated everyone's help. He was using it in the low speed with the clutch set to drill. He has decided as he has other uses for it as well to go with the Milwaukee Fuel 18V hammer setup. Should be up and drilling again by the weekend. Thanks again to all and Tight Lines! :) :)

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2018, 06:58 AM »
Another great thing about the Milwaukee is that when I'm going through 40"+ inches of ice (8" Mora) and I don't clear the shavings half way the drill bogs down and cuts out, but it doesn't smoke or smell. I just pull it up, clear the hole and continue.

The Milwaukees have torque sensing in the circuitry based on the amperage being drawn. If the load is in danger of smoking the drill's electronics, the circuitry cuts power to the motor. As soon as you start drilling again under less load it senses that and allows the motor to run. They also don't let the battery drain below a certain point (hence, providing too low of a voltage to the motor). Instead, they just cut out at a pre-determined point. AWESOME features!
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:12 AM »
You're kind of making my point for me there.

800"(linear inches drilled) x 28.27" (Area of a 6" circle) = 22,616 cubic inches of ice removed on one 5Ah battery.

My Ryobi does 450" on one 5Ah battery on an 8" Mora.

450" x 50.27"(area of an 8" circle) = 22,621.  With a Mora, which is garbage according to a lot of folks on here, so what would it do with a Lazer or Nils?

My setup with 9Ah total worth of batteries came in at $160, the Fuel with 10Ah worth of batteries is $300.  I'm sure the Milwaukee has better quality but for the difference in the price I can get a second bare tool plus 15Ah worth of batteries.  I can literally get 6 5Ah batteries off amazon for the price of the Milwaukee 5Ah twin pack.

Well I guess you win.   Although my 1200 in/lb Fuel with 2x5AH batts and charger cost me $229 delivered. Brand new from Home Depot.

AND my Fuel will be ripping thru the ice LONG after that RyoJokey blows smoke! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:41 AM »
$229 delivered.

That's a great deal and I would have snatched one up in an instant at that price.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2018, 10:58 AM »
That's a great deal and I would have snatched one up in an instant at that price.
  This is a pretty typical deal.  Between Thanksgiving and Christmas seem to be good prices. I got the 2704-22 plus an extra 5.0ah battery thrown in for $240, no tax and free shipping from Acme Tools.  Keep an eye on the Best Deals... thread.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 21, 2018, 11:39 AM »
Yah when I saw that deal I jumped on it.  But that was for the 2703, not the 2704.  2704 was like $300.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.