Author Topic: Weird tactic idea  (Read 723 times)

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Weird tactic idea
« on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:12 AM »
I recently noticed how painfully long it takes tip up line to sink deep on standard tipups. 30 ft plus even with a splitshot. I use micro lead to troll. And usually swap line every other year or so. I wouldnt need much. Anyone ever use leadcore on tipups to sink faster? Just a thought.  I use 14 micro lead it is pretty thin.
Salmonemia

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Weird tactic idea
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:58 AM »
Great idea...I would try some! When it’s zero with a wind chill that braided line sure goes down slow!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:12 PM »
Personally
. .I see a gew problems with it...first ..what's the rush to get the bait down...sometimes baits working their  way to the bottom zone becomes breakfast. ..lunch or dinner. .secondly...if you are fishing near rocks the potential to hang up is even greater. .because that weight will lay on the bottom.
Also the additional weight of the line may cause finicky fish to drop the bait...just a few thoughts. On it.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Roccus good points.  I dont like it already.
Salmonemia

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Add more weight !  ;)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2018, 04:02 PM »
Roccus has some good points, but if you want to try I would just use a shorter section 10-15 feet. I have often taken old leadcore and made different lengths for fly fish, making them loop on sink tippets... Pull some of the lead out and blind splice a nice loop, make them in different lengths and you can loop them on as you need them...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.