The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Painting Small Tungsten Jigs??  (Read 4772 times)

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
Painting Small Tungsten Jigs??
« on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:08 AM »
Im interested to hear if anyone paints their own tungsten jigs and how? I've tried using powder paint but the heat can melt the solder that holds the hook in. Plus I cant seem to get the detail I want. Any tips would be appreciated... and pics!

Id like to know how folks make the teardrop jigs with multi colored glow nodules all over them. Is it an epoxy? Similar to these..https://www.8mybait.com/collections/reaper/products/ice-reaper-blue-glow

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Painting Small Tungsten Jigs??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:22 AM »
this site gives you more time to fish.(http://jamminjigs.com/)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:44 AM »
I’ve only used powder paint on lead for the lures I make, but would imagine they use an epoxy paint, or are airbrushed with a water based paint with an epoxy based top coat. Just a guess.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:46 PM »
Fingernail polish shop the bargain rack plenty of colors and metallic flake/pearlescent to boot.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline mcperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:03 PM »
 I do I love to do it but it sometimes gets tricky and they over heat not a lot but then it's time to stop
McPerch

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018, 04:28 PM »
I purchased some 3mm tungsten jig on e bay and I powder coated them.I had a few that I thought I got too hot powder painting them because the hook let loose. Then when I baked them @ 250  degrees some more of the hooks let loose. Anyone else have this problem?. Surely the solder shoudn't be melting at 250 degrees. I bake lead jigs at 300 degrees and have no problems.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:17 PM »
By the time you spend you will wish you had gone on this site,  (http://jamminjigs.com/)

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:26 PM »
Or he can make his own................... ......
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Jammin jigs is a good company.I wish they would offer tungsten jigs individually instead of in a kit. I get more satisfaction out of catching fish with something I made myself,maybe it's just me. Also it give me something to do on days like this when it's raining in the middle of February.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2018, 05:56 PM »
down vote
accepted
Tungsten's melting point of 3422 °C is the highest of all metals and second only to carbon (3550 °C) among the elements. This is why tungsten is used in rocket nozzles and reactor linings. There are refractory ceramics and alloys that have higher melting points, notably
Ta
HfC
TaX4HfCX5
with a melting point of 4215 °C, hafnium carbide at 3900 °C and tantalum carbide at 3800 °C.
Carbon cannot be used to hold molten tungsten because they will react to form tungsten carbide. Sometimes ladles and crucibles used to prepare or transport high melting point materials like tungsten are lined with the various higher melting ceramics or alloys. More typically tungsten and other refractory materials are fabricated in a non-molten state. A process known as powder metallurgy is used. This process uses 4 basic steps:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.