The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Safe ice on the Oxbow?  (Read 755 times)

Offline renko51

• IceShanty Rookie
Safe ice on the Oxbow?
« on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:53 AM »
Has anybody been out on the Oxbow in the past week? There is supposed to be a derby this weekend, but I don't want to make the drive if it is likely to cancel. Thanks!

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Safe ice on the Oxbow?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:18 AM »
looked soft as i drove by, i wouldnt trust it

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:27 AM »
This was under the safe ice thread..."i was on The Oxbow from 7am-4pm on Tuesday there was no water on the edges when i got there and there was a little when i came off. Even with the rain there has been very little loss of ice anywhere i fish. There has been a solid 8-16' depending on elevation. Ive been fishing Oxbow, Pequot pond locally and out into the berks north and south. We could have a week of 45-50 degrees and the ice will be fine its still getting below freezing almost every-night. People that are falling thru are walking where they shouldn't..... no not they shouldn't be walking on the pond or lake but a little common sense doesn't hurt..... If you are walking by where a river is entering and or exiting a body of water then yes there will be less ice due to moving water. Be safe out there and we still have plenty of time before the open water gear comes out."
westernmas on the finder

Offline rogerj1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:12 AM »
This was under the safe ice thread..."i was on The Oxbow from 7am-4pm on Tuesday there was no water on the edges when i got there and there was a little when i came off. Even with the rain there has been very little loss of ice anywhere i fish. There has been a solid 8-16' depending on elevation. Ive been fishing Oxbow, Pequot pond locally and out into the berks north and south. We could have a week of 45-50 degrees and the ice will be fine its still getting below freezing almost every-night. People that are falling thru are walking where they shouldn't..... no not they shouldn't be walking on the pond or lake but a little common sense doesn't hurt..... If you are walking by where a river is entering and or exiting a body of water then yes there will be less ice due to moving water. Be safe out there and we still have plenty of time before the open water gear comes out."

im the one that posted this there was 10" solid when i was there tuesday.... With that being said the Holyoke dam controls the water in oxbow. if they slow down the rate of the dam the water will rise to the north..
" Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" 
Albert Einstein

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:29 AM »
Just had a delivery driver at my work place, he said there was individuals on the Bow this AM.

Offline renko51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:06 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the info everybody! Sounds like they are still planning on having the derby as of today, so I'll make the trip and use caution. Tight lines.

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:15 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the info everybody! Sounds like they are still planning on having the derby as of today, so I'll make the trip and use caution. Tight lines.

If I where you I would bring a plank.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.