Author Topic: swivel?  (Read 1738 times)

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
swivel?
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:18 PM »
Will be fishing Mille Lac this weekend (very clear water) for walleyes.  Plan to use buck-shots, flutter spoons, etc.  How important or necessary is it to have a swivel a couple of feet above lure to combat line twist or isn't it necessary?  Will be using 8# fluoro.

How many of you use swivels on panfish rods?  Generally I have 2# test on my panfish rods.

I use all spinning reels - I do notice a fair amount of line twist on my panfish jigs.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: swivel?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:33 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=330097.0

I like Spro Power Swivels in size 10. I use them all the time for softwater panfish and bass and I’ve really been meaning to use them for my ice panfish setups (I use 3# line) but I just haven’t put one on yet. I have no doubt of it helping with line twist though. While looking for a picture on the google I found an IS thread instead. Link above.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2018, 10:39 PM »
Not necessary...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 04:35 AM »
Very necessary...
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:20 AM »
I’ve recently switched over to the Spro Power Swivels, and the P-Line Hi-Speed Treble swivels. I’m not sure yet if the P-Line Hi-Speed Treble has anything on the Spro’s, but they are both definitely an upgrade over the Eagle Claw barrel swivels I was using. I use 3lb on my panfish rods, with a swivel, then a 2lb Seaguar Blue Label leader. I also have some set up with 5lb test, a swivel, and 4lb Blue Label leader.

I almost always use a swivel.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:24 AM »
Very necessary...
Why?The fish don’t care if there’s a swivel and adding two new spots for failure for no reason makes no sense. ...:)

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:34 AM »
When fishing light weight tackle like jigs I find swivels to be ineffective, even the high end ball bearing style - there just isn't enough resistance to engage the swivel.  I do, however, use them when I run jigging raps and spoons, especially when fishing the rivers where water current comes into play.

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:50 AM »
thanks guys - some varying opinions but my take away is for a walleye set-up it seems to make sense but I tend to agree with Bucket Rump that lightweight jigs on panfish set-ups likely don't have enough weight to overcome the inherent "stiction" in a swivel.

Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:08 AM »
thanks guys - some varying opinions but my take away is for a walleye set-up it seems to make sense but I tend to agree with Bucket Rump that lightweight jigs on panfish set-ups likely don't have enough weight to overcome the inherent "stiction" in a swivel.

If you are fishing light tackle in deep water, a swivel is still better than a split shot, in my opinion.  The swivel is just for weight, and if it also swivels, it's a bonus.  How many times does a knot form at the split shot when fishing in deeper water?  All the time for me. 

I've heard a lot about Seagur line, might have to pick some up. 

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:16 AM »
I use P lines and spros but only on 4lb test and up, I don't use swivels on 2lb test the lines too light and such a chore to tie I don't want to tie 3 different knots on 2lb test. On 4lb and up its worth my time but not 2lb. I just retie often when using 2lb test. All Pline cx premium nothing else
Salmonemia

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:05 AM »
Why?The fish don’t care if there’s a swivel and adding two new spots for failure for no reason makes no sense. ...:)
Eliminates line twist if you're using spinning reels.

As far as failure spots, if you suck at tying knots that bad then I wouldn't trust your jig knot anyway.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:12 AM »
Will be fishing Mille Lac this weekend (very clear water) for walleyes.  Plan to use buck-shots, flutter spoons, etc.  How important or necessary is it to have a swivel a couple of feet above lure to combat line twist or isn't it necessary?  Will be using 8# fluoro.

How many of you use swivels on panfish rods?  Generally I have 2# test on my panfish rods.

I use all spinning reels - I do notice a fair amount of line twist on my panfish jigs.
Swivels on all panfish rods, #10 Spros.

The 3 identical panfish rigs I use are 30", ML St Croix Legend Blacks, 6920 Presidents, with 3# hi vis green mono, a #10 Spro swivel, and a 4 foot leader of 2# flouro. I go with such a long leader because I can retie a whole bunch of times before running into the swivel, and the swivel is so small that it goes right through the guides and onto the spool like it's not even there.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:34 AM »
Eliminates line twist if you're using spinning reels.

As far as failure spots, if you suck at tying knots that bad then I wouldn't trust your jig knot anyway.
All I use is spinning reels and knots are failure points. Even good knots.

Offline Bassmaster16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:39 AM »
i use swivel about a foot above any of my spoons or raps. panfish setups line is so light it wont engage the swivel. i use one though when i use braid to fluoro leader on my panfish setups.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:27 AM »
99% of the time.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:51 AM »

Reason #1 for me is why most guys use them...to reduce jig spinning. With a long enough leader ( I usually run about 3' ) there is no real "alarm" to the fish. Reason #2, in situations where a small split shot may be needed, the swivel is usually heavy enough to do the job for me. I have been as successful using them as guys that don't. Just my personal preference. 
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:58 AM »
Tried swivels for the first time this year to try to keep jig from swirling.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:30 PM »
I use the smallest swivels I can find a foot and half or so above my jig.  I am amazed at how many fish go check the swivel out, ignoring my jig.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:51 PM »
All I use is spinning reels and knots are failure points. Even good knots.
try crimping, you will never rely on a tied knot again!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:00 AM »
I switched to swivel 5 or 6 years ago.
Size 14 black about 2' above jig.
My opinion makes all the difference in the world on finicky fish and presentation.
Never had issues with breaking.
Just keep a close eye on the condition of your line.
I run 2 and 4 lb test.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:10 AM »
I really think it all depends on how deep you are fishing & lure selection. Small, lite tungsten jigs I tie direct. Lager tube jigs in deeper water for Lakers, or aggressive jigging lures (jigging raps, spoons, bladebaits) almost always swivel.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2018, 04:25 PM »
For pan fish I do not use a swivel, tie 1/32 oz jig direct to the line.   Lighter the better for detecting the finicky bites.

Offline wefishandflop

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing with two toddlers.
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2018, 02:52 PM »
I have some super small ones coming in the mail to try and kill line twist but used a larger one yesterday and didn't notice any change in twist but the gills did want to hit the black swivel. I will see what a smaller one does.
We'll take any nibbles we get.  Jigging mostly.

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:54 PM »
For pan fish I do not use a swivel, tie 1/32 oz jig direct to the line.   Lighter the better for detecting the finicky bites.
The most hardware I employ are called quick snaps and they come in 3 sizes. They sure beat the hell out of knot tying in really cold windy conditions. I still have to handle them with forceps though when changing jigs. Aside from that all else is direct tied. When you get to really light jigs, less than 1/32z, you have to lighten up on the line test. Heavier test mono will not swim an extremely light jig effectively. When you're fishing shallow for pan fish and there's some wind, you can cut your hardware off and feed your line into the wind to take the spin out of it. The more hardware you attach the more likely you are going to have a tangling problem too. ;) :tipup: :tipup: ;)

ttt

Offline firegems

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2018, 08:30 PM »
 Love using a ball bearing swivel about 2' up above my fluorocarbon leader attached to my lure...two reasons....(1) line twist and ((2) when it pops thru the hole..time to get serious and work that fish as not to get hung up bringing him up thru.....not dropping nearly as many fish at the bottom of the hole as I did the past.
SO MANY FISH.........SO LITTLE TIME!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.