Author Topic: K drill, Clam plate, something else?  (Read 1739 times)

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

K drill, Clam plate, something else?
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I'm finally replacing my hand auger and I cant decide what to get. I also have an ice fishing trip this weekend so I dont have a lot of time to do my own research. I understand a K-drill will go right on my dewalt and work well just like that? I've also heard I should get a Clam plate to go with that. Do I need a clam plate or can I get by without one? Or should I go in a different direction all together?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: K drill, Clam plate, something else?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 11:51 AM »
Don't need the Clam Plate ...but I like it ...the Kdrill comes with drill ready adapter...and float.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Just so you know the Clam Plates are sold out everywhere. But You don't need one,just makes it nice for laying the auger down.
<===Lefty===

Offline Just a random icefisherma

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:20 PM »
Just so you know the Clam Plates are sold out everywhere. But You don't need one,just makes it nice for laying the auger down.

The plate also gears the drill lower I think, and then you don't put pressure on the drill housing itself. Used one with a little dewalt on it this past weekend, and it was pretty nice. Can't speak for the k-drill though
"I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."
-Johnny Cash

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Try the ice kicker setup. Made in Pa, works like a charm,stable fast, two handles and under $100 bucks, used one recently and will be ordering my own.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:33 PM »
I've been looking at Clam plate stuff on you tube and have seen one that you take the chuck off the drill and one that you don't. Is this the difference between older and newer models? I kinda like the save your chuck model.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:39 PM »
I guess I just don’t see the appeal in the K-drill. For the 200 bones the bit costs you could get a StrikeMaster Lazer, the Clam Plate, and still have almost $50 left over. Opt for a Mora bit and you’ll save more money. The K-drill, to me, is just over priced plastic. I see much more value in a traditional style hand auger. Not to mention, with traditional hand augers, if your battery craps out in the middle of the trip you can attach the handle (if you brought it with you...) and keep drilling holes. K-drills don’t have handles the last time I checked (but I have seen a post where someone put a few handles on it).

Yes, the Clam Plate isn’t necessary, but man, it sure makes using a drill setup even more convenient. 

Yes. The version where you keep the chuck on the drill is the new model. #9935
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:41 PM »
I've been looking at Clam plate stuff on you tube and have seen one that you take the chuck off the drill and one that you don't. Is this the difference between older and newer models? I kinda like the save your chuck model.

Chuck removal plates are no longer  retail available.  Private sellers via Ebay may have some available.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:47 PM »

i just bought a clam plate at my local Canadian Tire store...they had three left $100 retail

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:28 PM »
I don,t think you will disappointed ........

Offline fatboy8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:34 PM »
i just bought a clam plate at my local Canadian Tire store...they had three left $100 retail

Fell free to pick me on up haha

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2018, 03:15 PM »
So I got the K-drill, did not know I needed an XR drill, can I use my normal 20v dewalt?

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:10 PM »
K Drill is designed for Milwaukee M18 fuel. At 550 RPM & 725 lbs of tourque. Says it right on the float.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:11 PM »
I guess I just don’t see the appeal in the K-drill. For the 200 bones the bit costs you could get a StrikeMaster Lazer, the Clam Plate, and still have almost $50 left over. Opt for a Mora bit and you’ll save more money. The K-drill, to me, is just over priced plastic. I see much more value in a traditional style hand auger. Not to mention, with traditional hand augers, if your battery craps out in the middle of the trip you can attach the handle (if you brought it with you...) and keep drilling holes. K-drills don’t have handles the last time I checked (but I have seen a post where someone put a few handles on it).

Yes, the Clam Plate isn’t necessary, but man, it sure makes using a drill setup even more convenient. 

Yes. The version where you keep the chuck on the drill is the new model. #9935

Well criticized  by someone who probably never owned one and never used one.
Leave Some For Seed

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:12 PM »
We were selling them at the Columbus Ohio fishing expo last weekend. I'm not sure if they will ship them out but I know they had at least one left from the expo. Message me if you want their information, not sure if it's ok to post it. We had them at a discounted price but I think regular price was around $70 for clam plate.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:49 PM »
So I got the K-drill, did not know I needed an XR drill, can I use my normal 20v dewalt?

What model and what amp hour batteries?

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:55 PM »

Directly from kdrill's website... "You can use any cordless drill brand you choose, as long as it meets the following minimum requirements:

Side Stabilizer Arm (for a secure two-handed grip)1/2” Drill Chuck18 Volt/4 Amp Lithium Ion Battery (or higher)Brushless Motor Design500-750 RPM with a minimum ofMinimum 725 in/lbs or 820 UWO of torque

These drills are officially approved for K-Drill use.

Milwaukee Models: #2703-22, #2704-22, #2810-22, #2709-22

DeWalt Models: #DCD997B, #DCD991P2, #DCD996P2, #DCD997P2-BT, #DW124K"
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:44 AM »
2 major complaints about my 8" K-Drill

1) It's not a true 8" hole
2) It wasn't around 20 years ago.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:12 AM »
2) It wasn't around 20 years ago.

LOL I hear that
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:16 AM »
I use milluaukee 5amp hour batteries

Offline rilobsterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Get yourself the K-drill set you WILL like it

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:22 AM »
I use the Clam setup. I really like it a lot. Whatever you decide, I advise you to get an extension also. It's well worth the extra 15 or 20 $$.   ;):tipup:   :tipup: ;)               
ttt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:28 AM »
I use the Clam setup. I really like it a lot. Whatever you decide, I advise you to get an extension also. It's well worth the extra 15 or 20 $$.   ;):tipup:   :tipup: ;)             

Although I agree with the extension for my StrikeMaster 6" Lazer set up on the Clam Plate..its not need for the Kdrill...set pretty much at a good height ...with Kdrill and the need Clam Plate adapter .

Offline tentwiststhick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Although I agree with the extension for my StrikeMaster 6" Lazer set up on the Clam Plate..its not need for the Kdrill...set pretty much at a good height ...with Kdrill and the need Clam Plate adapter .

I'll confess one thing for sure. I've never noticed anyone Kneeling down on the ice to complete a hole being drilled with a K-drill as i have seen with the Clam. Then again where I'm at, more fisherman have the Clam than they have the K-Drill. It also has a lot to do with the ice thickness too. I do know that I concluded kneeling on the ice to complete a hole didn't look like fun and that was before I decided to get the Clam. At some point i wouldn't be surprised if mI see a K-Driller kneeling too. ;) :tipup: :tipup: ;)   
ttt

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2018, 09:10 PM »
I like the clam plate. All you have to do is bring the handle for the hand auger with and you have manual backup. That said im a gas auger kind of guy. Once the ice is past hand auger thickness I break out the lazer mag xpress. Still the fastest auger ever made. I also hate holes smaller than 8" so that's a factor for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.