New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Where to go? / Research  (Read 780 times)

Offline goodyk3ng

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where to go? / Research
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Greetings.  I'm from Northeastern PA, just looking for advice on good places to go in southern / southeastern NY.  It looks like the season may be cut short down here, and I've always wanted to get up to NY and fish, but never have done it.  I know the thought of "flatlanders" coming up may not be appealing to some, but rest assured I live in the sticks in PA and we have flatlanders come up from Philly to fish  :)  I'm not looking for your secret fishing hole, just some good lakes and how to access, lakes to avoid, and any words of advice.  I'm reading up on NY rules and regs.

The first lake that occurred to me was Cayuga Lake, only because I've been to Ithaca several times, but it's a huge lake, much bigger than anything I've ever fished, and I'm clueless as far as good access spots and nearby lodging.

Thanks in advance
Born to ice fish, made to work...

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where to go? / Research
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:48 AM »
Most of Cayuga nearly never freezes over, there are people still out trolling for browns and landlocks.  There is just a little ice  on the south end, and some in the shallow north where the main targets are perch and crappie.  We are in for the same prolonged warm spell as PA, so a lot of the low elevation waters are going to become sketchy,, if you insist on coming up bring your SPUD, Safety spikes, and you might want to wear a float suit or PFD.  That leaves the Adirondacks and maybe the Catskills, but I'm not familiar with them.  Look on the DEC Website for Places to fish, then check the counties where you are thinking of visiting for places where ice fishing is allowed.  If the lake has trout in it, it may well be no icefishing, if it is open for ice fishing it will be listed in the special regulations for each county.  This is interesting to me as when I lived in Binghamton, I always went to Quaker Lake in NE PA to icefish!   :)

Offline goodyk3ng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Thanks for the information, Lucky.  I noticed NY seems to limit what you can harvest in the winter, more so than PA.  I noted some trout water limitations, but I wasn't aware such lakes may be off limits to ice fishing. I'll have to read up on that.  Good deal on fishing in PA.  I tend to stick with Mauch Chunk Lake and some private lakes here in the communities.  I used to fish Beltzville Lake a lot.  Unfortunately I tend to not venture out of the area.

It's sad that you all may have your season cut short as well.  One of these days I need to move to Canada  :)

I see you're in Rochester.  My daughter attends RIT.  Ignoring for the moment the lousy weather coming up, perhaps I should look up that way and couple an ice fishing expedition with a visit to see her.  Anything recommended in your neck of the woods?

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I’m in central NY. The forecast for warmer temperatures will melt some surface ice, but the nights will lock it right back up. We don’t have much snow to melt, so runoff shouldn’t be an issue.

I’d actually worry more about high elevation waters, that got more snow. Once that melts, the runoff will be undercutting the ice like crazy.

Just watch for rain, that’s the biggest concern.

Offline Tightliness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:02 AM »
I drive to NEPA every Saturday and I drive thru Sullivan county. I’ve seen guys on white lake every weekend

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:25 AM »
There has been good ice for quite a while now all over the State, but we're looking at the future here, not the past, I'm not going to go through the ice LAST WEEK!!!!  The forecast for a lot of Western and Central New York for the next tow weeks ahs some long stretches of over freezing temperatures during the day and marginally freezing temperatures at night, and some rain as well on some of the warm days.  Some places got a little sloppy last weekend with the near 50 we had around here, and I did point out that it might be Ok early when it has been cold, but it could be a little sketchier, later in the day. It's no fun driving home with a wet foot you got getting off where you got on 8 hours before, even if there is good ice 20' off shore.

The following was posted yesterday on the Sandy Pond thread by New Old Guy, one of the best and most communicative posters on the NY Boards.  I think this would be very good advice anywhere in NYS with the weather that is forecast.

"Yo Guys & Gals,

Just a quick note here. Check your 10 day weather forecast for the coming week if you are making plans to hit the ice. Today and tomorrow look to be outstanding, after that the weatherman says we are not only turning warm, but the warmth will be coupled with some rain on Thursday and Friday. The warm weather will extend on into the week end. While we have been blessed with some great ice so far this season, the advent of warmer conditions and the oncoming spring like conditions will warrant a good look see before entering your favorite honey hole in your next week's traveling plans. Some accesses will be better than others, obviously.

Remember, those creek flow areas are always the first to go.  The gas holes which seemingly disappear with all the snow cover are still there and will be more visible in the coming week . The thinner ice will go first so don't forget to bring your spuds with you that you left home for the last 2 weeks. This is the time of winter we all have to be aware.  Let's all stay safe and use good judgement. I want all my friends to be there next year so I can kibitz with them. In closing, I will again use the old admonition  ..... SPUD SPUD SPUD."

For goody, in Monroe County, Braddock Bay, Cranberry Pond, Long Pond, Buck Pond, Irondequoit Bay, all ~1/2 hour north.  Or from RIT, South on 390 ~1 hour, Conesus, Hemlock, Canadice, Honeoye.  There are threads for all of the above on Reports and Conditions Pages, and information on all on the DEC website. (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html)

If it gets  too warm and hardwater seems a little "iffy,"  there are open water opportunities, steelhead in Lake Ontario Tributaries (although the Genesee is currently closed due to work on the Power Plant), and if the Shore ice melts along Lake Ontario, there can be GREAT brown trout fishing casting spoons from the beaches and piers.

Offline goodyk3ng

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:43 AM »
For goody, in Monroe County....

Excellent!  Thanks again!

:tipup:

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2018, 12:40 PM »
There has been good ice for quite a while now all over the State, but we're looking at the future here, not the past, I'm not going to go through the ice LAST WEEK!!!!  The forecast for a lot of Western and Central New York for the next tow weeks ahs some long stretches of over freezing temperatures during the day and marginally freezing temperatures at night, and some rain as well on some of the warm days.  Some places got a little sloppy last weekend with the near 50 we had around here, and I did point out that it might be Ok early when it has been cold, but it could be a little sketchier, later in the day. It's no fun driving home with a wet foot you got getting off where you got on 8 hours before, even if there is good ice 20' off shore.

The following was posted yesterday on the Sandy Pond thread by New Old Guy, one of the best and most communicative posters on the NY Boards.  I think this would be very good advice anywhere in NYS with the weather that is forecast.

"Yo Guys & Gals,

Just a quick note here. Check your 10 day weather forecast for the coming week if you are making plans to hit the ice. Today and tomorrow look to be outstanding, after that the weatherman says we are not only turning warm, but the warmth will be coupled with some rain on Thursday and Friday. The warm weather will extend on into the week end. While we have been blessed with some great ice so far this season, the advent of warmer conditions and the oncoming spring like conditions will warrant a good look see before entering your favorite honey hole in your next week's traveling plans. Some accesses will be better than others, obviously.

Remember, those creek flow areas are always the first to go.  The gas holes which seemingly disappear with all the snow cover are still there and will be more visible in the coming week . The thinner ice will go first so don't forget to bring your spuds with you that you left home for the last 2 weeks. This is the time of winter we all have to be aware.  Let's all stay safe and use good judgement. I want all my friends to be there next year so I can kibitz with them. In closing, I will again use the old admonition  ..... SPUD SPUD SPUD."

For goody, in Monroe County, Braddock Bay, Cranberry Pond, Long Pond, Buck Pond, Irondequoit Bay, all ~1/2 hour north.  Or from RIT, South on 390 ~1 hour, Conesus, Hemlock, Canadice, Honeoye.  There are threads for all of the above on Reports and Conditions Pages, and information on all on the DEC website. (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html)

If it gets  too warm and hardwater seems a little "iffy,"  there are open water opportunities, steelhead in Lake Ontario Tributaries (although the Genesee is currently closed due to work on the Power Plant), and if the Shore ice melts along Lake Ontario, there can be GREAT brown trout fishing casting spoons from the beaches and piers.

That’s Ice Fishing 101. In the end, trust nobody other than yourself.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.