The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Plank etequette  (Read 2239 times)

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
Plank etequette
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:48 PM »
Just wondering what folks like to do with their planks while fishing...

Do you leave it while you fish or bring it with you once you’re on the ice. Gonna have to plank out tomorrow and worried people will use it to get out but get stranded once I leave and take it with me.
Kind of a nit picky question but curious how y’all handle that one.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Plank etequette
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Take it with.  I dont want to be liable for someone misusing my plank technology.  Ive gotten wet when the plank owner left with said plank.

Offline TRIPLE S

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:03 PM »
You mite want to keep it with you in case some one take it on you than you will be the one stranded. You can all ways let some one use it if need be. Bring some rope too you never know. P.S. good fishing etiquette is awesome. thank for thinking of others

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:13 PM »
Take on the ice with you, that’s what I do. If they are not prepared to fish that body of water, knowing that the edge might be iffy, they better bring their own. What if u leave it there and someone takes it while u are fishing, seen it happen, won’t happen to me though !!

Offline Uncle Lar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DON'T SHADOW THE HOLE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2018, 02:46 PM »
My sons and friends (witnesses) got read the riot act by an over-zealous EPO in the berkshires two years ago.
Told us we were endangering other people by allowing access to an otherwise unsafe body of water.
We were stunned by his loud and rude attitude but held our tongues.

Needless to say we left the area (as commanded) and took our "plank" with us; stranding him and possibly many others on the ice.

Not your normal EPO for sure.

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:13 PM »
^^^
Lol, sounds like he didn’t think that one through all the way :)
I’d have been tempted to sit in the parking lot and watch him wade back to shore.

Thanks for the responses.. I’ll deffinitely be bringing it out with me... didn’t even think about someone swiping it on me.. that would suck.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2018, 03:16 PM »
^^^
Lol, sounds like he didn’t think that one through all the way :)
I’d have been tempted to sit in the parking lot and watch him wade back to shore.

Thanks for the responses.. I’ll deffinitely be bringing it out with me... didn’t even think about someone swiping it on me.. that would suck.
.       Didn’t happen to me but another guy fell in a few years back, left his plank out and he was last one off and fell in, as someone took his plank!!

Offline IcePhishing4Fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Depends where I am fishing and how far away from the access point Im going to be, how crowded, what day of the week, probably not on a weekend.
Give me ICE or give me DEATH!

Offline bpfishhunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:39 PM »
I had a plank stolen on me before. and we got a little wet getting off that day. but I did catch a 7.5lb larry that day to make up for it ;D

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2018, 08:19 PM »
Take it with.  I dont want to be liable for someone misusing my plank technology.  Ive gotten wet when the plank owner left with said plank.
I’m curious what you mean by plank technology... if it was anyone else I’d dismiss it as poetic exaggeration but I’ve read enough of your posts to think that you might actually be using cutting edge plank technology...  whatcha rockin for a board ??

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:24 PM »
I’m curious what you mean by plank technology... if it was anyone else I’d dismiss it as poetic exaggeration but I’ve read enough of your posts to think that you might actually be using cutting edge plank technology...  whatcha rockin for a board ??

Just a play on words...I rock the same things as everyone else....boards, sticks, logs, rocks, waders, whatever I need to get on. 

I will agree with others...plank season is a good way to get wet so it pays to have that second set of clothes...

Offline SkunkLuvver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2018, 09:43 PM »
I was half expecting you to describe a carbon fiber something with flotation and optional propulsion system.
(Which would pretty much make it a boat ?)

If my GF found out I was using waders to get on the ice I’m not sure I’d be aloud out anymore... let alone needing to change into dry clothes after.
 :tipup:

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:17 PM »
One time I brought a plank and someone else asked if they could access the ice by using it. Of course I said yes.
Second time I brought my plank but angler that was there before me had brought an extendable ladder and said I could use it as long as he was there.
Needless to say I left when he did.

I say if you are within sight, you could leave it, but keep an eye on it.
If you plan on traveling out of sight or far enough away, bring it.

Not saying to be a jerk, but if someone wants to get out on the ice they should consider how they were planning on the ice...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:55 AM »
I hop in my flip over tub and paddle out, easy peazy..  ;D
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:24 AM »
If there one there I dont touch it. If its not positioned how i want, I put down my own. If I put down my own, I am usually within sight and leave it there...if I was out of site I would take it..Ive dumped all my gear in pontoosuc trying to cross the gap of open water at shore...was a long wet ride home

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2018, 12:24 PM »
All I can say is if I bring a plank and I see someone trying to taking it, they better hope I don't catch them...because the water IS cold!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline BASSQUATCH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gone Fishing 🎣
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Taking someone's plank is one of the lowest things an angler can do to another. My plank is legendary lol , covered in carpet for non slip access. If I ever saw someone try to take it, the ultra light chisel might become a spear !

Offline Dieseldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2018, 03:17 PM »
That might become a Winter Olympic sport. Chisel throwing. I like it.
I plan to live forever. So far so good!

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2018, 11:19 PM »
Taking someone's plank is one of the lowest things an angler can do to another. My plank is legendary lol , covered in carpet for non slip access. If I ever saw someone try to take it, the ultra light chisel might become a spear !

Pics?

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:30 AM »

I agree, I have used that plank personally and it is very nice. but would never even think of taking someone else's . I allways carry my own , and take it when I leave.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.