The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Highland Lake Public Forum - Windham ME - March 7th,2018 7:00PM  (Read 1269 times)

Offline tkmoney_99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hi Folks,

For those of you that have voiced concern regarding the discontinued stocking of Highland Lake in Falmouth /Windham there is a Public Forum scheduled for March 7th,2018, 7:00 PM at the Windham High School Auditorium. The discussion is concerning the health of the lake.It is being put on by the Highland Lake Association(a.k.a Town of Falmouth). However, being a public Forum I don't see any reason why you could't ask the Highland Lake Association if they have reconsidered the Inland Fisheries request to improve the boat launch on Mast Road to allow equal access to both the public and lake home owners.

Hope to see or hear you there.
Can't catch em on your couch.

Offline Bottle_O_Moxie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have you ever had to jig your scoop back up?
Way too shallow at that site for any type of trailer-able ramp.  Even if the front wheels of a pickup were backed down into the water, it would only be 16-20 inches deep and weedy at the end of the boat.  Even less if you kept the truck out of the water.  This picture was taken just a few feet to the right of the launch site.  Very flat area, no slope.  Would have to dredge out to about 100 feet to get any depth suitable for launch.   It's tough to get a dredge permit for a fresh water lake, and it would have to be obtained annually since that area has a lot of silt from the channel. 

At best a 12' or flat bottom 14-footer on a trailer could launch there most of the season.  But since it's so close to Portland there would be lots of people with much larger boats attempting to use it.   
It wouldn't be fun if you were waiting for someone with a deep hull 18-footer to load or launch.  But it would be very entertaining to sit there in an umbrella chair with cold beverages to watch the circus.   ;D

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake sucks to ice fish. Slowwwww no fish

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lake sucks to ice fish. Slowwwww no fish
If the state would stock it again with Salmon and Brown trout it wouldn’t be so slow.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Highland lake, Forest lake are dying But the Property owners don't want any help until its too late.  Let it go!!!!!!

Offline tkmoney_99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Way too shallow at that site for any type of trailer-able ramp.  Even if the front wheels of a pickup were backed down into the water, it would only be 16-20 inches deep and weedy at the end of the boat.  Even less if you kept the truck out of the water.  This picture was taken just a few feet to the right of the launch site.  Very flat area, no slope.  Would have to dredge out to about 100 feet to get any depth suitable for launch.   It's tough to get a dredge permit for a fresh water lake, and it would have to be obtained annually since that area has a lot of silt from the channel. 

At best a 12' or flat bottom 14-footer on a trailer could launch there most of the season.  But since it's so close to Portland there would be lots of people with much larger boats attempting to use it.   
It wouldn't be fun if you were waiting for someone with a deep hull 18-footer to load or launch.  But it would be very entertaining to sit there in an umbrella chair with cold beverages to watch the circus.   ;D

I guess my major gripe is that Highland Lake Owners have decided who does and doesn't get access to this lake. This should not be there decision. Lakes and Ponds all over the state have had boat launch upgrades with little to no issues. This is a resource to be enjoyed by ALL.  I fished that lake for many years when IFW was stocking it and we had pretty good luck. It is close to Portland and adds a decent Winter Fishery for folks in Southern Maine. The fact that the launch is very shallow and weedy will deter the large boats from going there. They will continue to go up the road to Little and Big Sebago. Pettengill Pond is not far up the road. That has a small shallow boat launch. You don't see that pond run over with 14' to 18' boats.

Highland has had a large Algae Bloom the last few years. Because there is no (Or very little) public access , this can not be blamed on boat traffic and/or the public polluting the water. Why don't we let the IFW do what they do, manage the water quality and the fishery. Dancers dance and Ranchers ranch.

TK
Can't catch em on your couch.

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
Usually that's how it goes

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Just an announcement for you all . The bass in highland are not safe . This year my son and I are going to put a hurting on the bass in highland lake .    GAME ON !!!!!

Offline TroutWorm

• Team IceShanty Regular
They r safe bc it's slooowwww

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.