The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: togue jigging  (Read 2905 times)

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
togue jigging
« on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:52 PM »
i have decided after years of jigging for crappie, white perch, and the occasional brookie in a put and take pond that i am ready to up my game to lake trout. i have a 28' medium heavy jig rod. and a 2 bearing spinning reel that i plan to use. my question is what would be an acceptable line weight and type that would allow a newby a few mistakes in getting the head to the hole, etc. thank you in advance.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: togue jigging
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2018, 07:59 PM »
I use 15lb test Sea gar.  A couple of sliding sinkers above a split shot. That gives you good control and a chance to use smaller jigs with cut sucker  as bait.

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:04 PM »
does my rod/reel combo (bought the parts individually and put together out of items ive had) sound like it'll handle a great east or sebago togue? thanks again for the reply.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Sounds like you have a good start. after a few fish you can work into a better rod. I use to use jig sticks made out of old aluminum arrows with wooden cross sticks 12" apart .I still use them on warmer days. a good med ugly stick with a level wind reel .  Rod needs to be strong enough to set the hook good. Togue have a hard mouth  I put on #4  treble hooks Garmagatsu   or Mustard ultrapoint  on all my jigs for lakers. Good luck.

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:24 PM »
thank you again!

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2018, 02:58 AM »
I run 10-15lbs powerpro to an 8' leader of 8lbs floro. If you wanted to bulk up to 10-12lbs floro you should be fine but you might have fish be a little more line shy depending on the lake. Depending on the size of the guides on your rod, you can use a small barrel swivel to attach the braid to the floro. The guides on some of my rods are too small to take a swivel so I just tie direct with a double uni knot

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2018, 06:01 AM »
The guy I fish with ties a swivel to the end of the braid  then a 2 foot length of 20 lb leader and another swivel which makes it easy if he wants to change lures.
He catches alot of fish , more than I do with lighter leaders.

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2018, 07:55 PM »
thanks again for the tips everyone! think im ready to make the attempt. now just gotta find the time to go.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2018, 03:13 AM »
I use light power pro with an albright knot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv5t_C7NpE0 and then three arm lengths (15-20') of 8-10 lb flouro as leader. I could go with less, but this way I can quickly cut out chafed sections of line without compromising the leader length. I've noticed some spinning reels tend to twist the line when reeling relatively slack line and that caused lighter jigs to spin while at rest. The fish didn't seem to like this much, so I added a very small swivel about 12" above my jig and it seemed to solve the problem. (also catching a few fish to put some tension on the line helps, too)

I think I prefer a bait casting reel for togue jigging for this reason. The ones that are made for bass work pretty well as long as it's not super cold. The level winds do tend to ice up.

Some fish don't care about finesse, but on Sebago, I think most do. As long as you have a decent drag system on your reel, lighter line will land some big fish.
You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:43 AM »
Just make sure you have plenty of line!  When I was out there, I discovered my rod with the 10lb line didn’t have enough main line to get to the bottom in 100’. I had used 10lb mono as some backing for the fireline, and by the time I reached bottom, I was 20’ into my backing already and seeing the spool... wasn’t going to risk it.

Offline 8orach

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:54 AM »
I think that a short floro leader is the most underspoken point in this thread so far. Especially if you are fishing on Sebago in water deeper than 100’, run a main line of ice braid down to a 2’ at max length leader of floro. When you’re fishing that deep you need every bit of driving force to sink the hook in a togues mouth, especially if using heavy duty hooks. The longer that leader is the more stretch you’ll have absorbing all the energy you need for the hook set. I had a lot of fish pop off using a 6 foot leader earlier this year cause I never had those hooks driven into fish on the hook set

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Fluorocarbon actually stretches more than monofiliment but takes more force to get it to stretch initially.  You should get better hook sets with fluoro vs the same length of mono.  It is not as shock resistant as mono.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline MAINETROUTWHISPERER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:51 AM »
Less stretch is better when you're jiggnig deep. I use Fireline because it doesn't absorb and hold as much water as braid. 80lb micro swivle to a fluro leader. The swivle is so small it will go through the guides.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:17 AM »
Fluorocarbon actually stretches more than monofiliment but takes more force to get it to stretch initially.  You should get better hook sets with fluoro vs the same length of mono.  It is not as shock resistant as mono.

I thought this was a togue jigging question??? Am I missing something here, last I heard you and your family were all in on jigging pike???  ;D

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:24 AM »
I thought this was a togue jigging question??? Am I missing something here, last I heard you and your family were all in on jigging pike???  ;D

I caught far more togue this year than I have pike.  My guide sucked.

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:32 AM »
I caught far more togue this year than I have pike.  My guide sucked.

All though I have not used that particular guide service, I have heard rumors from other Shanty members in the area(cough, cough, Gamefisher) that  the guide service in question does struggle on ponds in that area + he is usually only open on weekdays!  @)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:53 AM »
All though I have not used that particular guide service, I have heard rumors from other Shanty members in the area(cough, cough, Gamefisher) that  the guide service in question does struggle on ponds in that area + he is usually only open on weekdays!  @)

Since I have been brought into this, I feel I must respond although I feel a bit bad since MGK is in the middle of the Baltic sea unable to defend himself from the verbal jousting .  (I don't really feel bad, just threw that in.)  Simply put, MGK is a paper champion.  Anybody can catch fish in those storied, unfished waters of northern Maine, especially with JDK doing all the work. ::)  Rumor has it that NGK, (not the sparkplug) is really the better fishermen of the two boys but doesn't have the internet skills to boast as MGK does.  With MGK now living in the Belgrades, he's a mere mortal like the rest of us that have the pleasure of calling this cesspool home. @)

To the O.P.'s original question before we so rudely intruded, sawed off broomstick, 80 pound braid tied directly to Leadfish with rusty hooks.  No problem with hook set using this deadly combination. :tipup:

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:16 AM »

To the O.P.'s original question before we so rudely intruded, sawed off broomstick, 80 pound braid tied directly to Leadfish with rusty hooks.  No problem with hook set using this deadly combination. :tipup:

You conveniently inadvertently forgot the #1 swivel.. Tied direct, come on, if you are going to give advice, go all the way. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Since I have been brought into this, I feel I must respond although I feel a bit bad since MGK is in the middle of the Baltic sea unable to defend himself from the verbal jousting .  (I don't really feel bad, just threw that in.)  Simply put, MGK is a paper champion.  Anybody can catch fish in those storied, unfished waters of northern Maine, especially with JDK doing all the work. ::)  Rumor has it that NGK, (not the sparkplug) is really the better fishermen of the two boys but doesn't have the internet skills to boast as MGK does.  With MGK now living in the Belgrades, he's a mere mortal like the rest of us that have the pleasure of calling this cesspool home. @)

His mother loves him.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2018, 02:52 PM »

Roast him... haha
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:56 PM »
Great thread! I have learned some good fine tuning tips!!! Especailly the broomstick, lead fish and #1 swivel! Rusty hooks really HOLD once you drive them in!!! Would make it easier to clamp on that 11oz cod jig when I hit Tunk!

On another note, Gregg Burr showed me pics of a 25.5# caught a couple days ago and another sizable fish caught recently
 from a pond in eastern Maine. They were both beauties and both on traps! That 25.5, though, was a sight to behold~pretty fish and big smile on the catcher~, even for a crappie fisherman!  ;D :thumbsup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2018, 05:26 PM »
 after weeding through the replies, (and friendly hijacking, to which i welcome) i now have a 28 inch MH rod with a spinning reel with 2 bearings with 14lb mono, barrel swivel and then 10 inches of 20lb fluorocarbon leader with a  a swedish pimple measuring 1-7/8 of an inch. for fishing sebago or little ossipee? thanks in advance and for all the help already given!!

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:22 PM »
I have found Sea gar Gatsu for line .Its  more money but it has shown me it stretches less  and  setting a hook  it is solid and gives me good results, A lot of sporting do not carry it because of the extra costs . But I have been told this before you only get what you pay for. Try it you'll like it.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:36 PM »
I have found Sea gar Gatsu for line .Its  more money but it has shown me it stretches less  and  setting a hook  it is solid and gives me good results, A lot of sporting do not carry it because of the extra costs . But I have been told this before you only get what you pay for. Try it you'll like it.
Seaguar Tatsu is serious line. Pricey, yes ~ $36+ for 10# 200yd spool.  I run 6# on my tip-ups and leader on my broomstick rod with braid. Not that I use either much. I can tell you, though, it’ll do the job.  ;)
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06:54 PM »
No need for the heavy pike gear. I jig lots of touge (although I have yet to hook a big 'un) I do all my tougin with either a medium weight 30" rod and 6-8 lb flouro, or a cheapo 18" medium-light jig stick with 4lb mono or flouro- my crappie/perch rod.

Sure, you hook a 10lber with that and it'll take some work to land, but all those 16"-24" cookie cutter touge that are 99% of what I've seen, they can be battled just fine. Just relax and enjoy the fight, don't force the fish to come, let the drag do it's thing.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07:45 PM »
No need for the heavy pike gear. I jig lots of touge (although I have yet to hook a big 'un) I do all my tougin with either a medium weight 30" rod and 6-8 lb flouro, or a cheapo 18" medium-light jig stick with 4lb mono or flouro- my crappie/perch rod.

Sure, you hook a 10lber with that and it'll take some work to land, but all those 16"-24" cookie cutter touge that are 99% of what I've seen, they can be battled just fine. Just relax and enjoy the fight, don't force the fish to come, let the drag do it's thing.

Ha! I’m glad I’m not crazy for having done that too. I had to use my lighter rods, just went lighter than I intended and still got it in with 4lb fluro, I went with segura red label. Definitely need to let the drag do the work, and it makes good practice pumping in a fish and reeling down on them. Remeber, if the drag is going, stop the retrieving and just let it go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.