Author Topic: TRASH FISH TO FIGHT HUNGER?  (Read 5156 times)

Offline Maineiac

• IceShanty Rookie
TRASH FISH TO FIGHT HUNGER?
« on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:08 AM »
This is just a thought that had crossed my mind on multiple occasions and wanted to know what other people thought.

Over the years of fishing I must of seen hundreds and hundreds of pounds of fish either being thrown back in the water, or wasted in some way, but not eaten or harvested.  The "trash fish" are the fish Im implying to and you all pretty much know what they are, and they vary from state to state.  If instead of throwing these fish back why not see if maybe a local homeless shelter or soup kitchen would take them.  Even a food bank, I mean they are always asking for help from the community and at the same time the fish would actually be a healthy additive to their diet. Maybe a derby coordinator could even set it up so they could have a drop off spot for all the fish people caught from the derby that they didnt want and then send it off to the local shelter, pantry of kitchen.  This would also help the populations of the "good" fish in waters that have been invaded by one or more invasive species.  I watched a video where goldfish took over a "trophy lake" (I dont believe in trophy fish, fish were put here for food not trophys)  and people were netting them by the hundreds each scoop and throwing them on the ground behind them, piles of thousands of goldfish from just a 100 foot area flopping away.  One kid even said "wow they dont die, these have been alive for 3 days" makes me sick.  Anyways those goldfish were put in trash bags and thrown away, alive may I add.  I dont know maybe I just care too much and believe as a species we should help each other out and this wouldn't be a very hard thing to do in my opinion.

This is just an added food for thought, kinda off topic.
We are going into an ice age, our sun is going to sleep for a while, like 40 years.  While at the same time the sun is also going through a much denser part of space therefore slowing it down and allowing energies to flow into this planet.  Those energies are heating up the core and in turn its expanding the core of our planet, so we are also going through an expansion event.  We dont revolve around the sun, thats a bunch of bull, we are being dragged behind the sun in a vacuum as it travels through space at 486 thousand miles per hour.  All these volcanoes going off, earthquakes, and strange weather is just the beginning of some nasty things to come.  We as humans never had anything to do with climate change, EVER!  Earth goes through its cycles and its been recorded in history for thousands of years. .   That all being said I believe mass global food shortages are on the horizon.  Fish will be a large part of everyone diet at that time whether you think so or not, so that "trophy lake" thats got hundred of thousands of big goldfish will actually look pretty good!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: TRASH FISH TO FIGHT HUNGER?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:14 AM »
The top part of your post makes perfect sense. The bottom part not so much. Is someone off there meds?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:24 AM »
That went off the rails quickly!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:29 AM »
Too much time alone in the shanty...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:56 AM »
catch  a few ton of bighead carps, process and ship the meat off to some food pantries, make some fish stew. starving ppl will eat anything they get hungry enough...prolly be good eatin too. i donated some of my extra vegetables to a mission once. took a paper sack o tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, jalapenos..it felt good to do that.  i plan to help out more this year
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:02 AM »
The top part of your post makes perfect sense. The bottom part not so much. Is someone off there meds?

My thoughts exactly.

Since all of space is a giant vacuum, I'm trying to figure out how a vacuum "to drag earth" has formed within a vacuum....

Can't believe he left out the part about the earth being flat...
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:04 AM »
That or something is being smoked that should be passed around
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:06 AM »
the stuffs getting stronger and stronger  ;D  i like the classic "blueberry"...muffins that is
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:26 AM »
I have been enjoying "blueberry" and "BB Blast" myself lately. Very nice and kinda makes me hungry.

Chute82

« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:28 AM »
I have been enjoying "blueberry" and "BB Blast" myself lately. Very nice and kinda makes me hungry.

Get the munchies and eat some of those trash fish..

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:32 AM »
 ;D
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:47 AM »
I could just see the lady’s face at the food shelter when you dump a bag of ruff fish on the counter and say here.
On the last part of your post you wouldn’t happen to be a Scientologist would you?

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:55 AM »
i bet theyd be happy with a bag of  sheepshead filletted up.  id do it, dont know if theyd accept it though .  im gonna look into that. 
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:59 AM »
I’m just hear to read comments..

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:01 AM »
gobies? can you eat those? lol nahhhh im not going there
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:06 AM »
;D
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:07 AM »
From what I’ve seen, no “help” organizations are equipped to process fish and game and they won’t accept anything that hasn’t been professionally processed...
On a side note.. if we aren’t revolving around the sun how are we measuring time and what’s making seasons happen? ;D

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:13 AM »
Someone's shanty needs a bigger vent! :o

Offline Maineiac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:17 AM »

Never took meds, perfectly healthy sound mind, go back to sleep buddy.

Offline Maineiac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:18 AM »
catch  a few ton of bighead carps, process and ship the meat off to some food pantries, make some fish stew. starving ppl will eat anything they get hungry enough...prolly be good eatin too. i donated some of my extra vegetables to a mission once. took a paper sack o tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, jalapenos..it felt good to do that.  i plan to help out more this year

I already contacted the local pantry and homeless shelter and they said they would be more than happy to accept as long as they are legal. 

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:20 AM »
Never took meds, perfectly healthy sound mind, go back to sleep buddy.

I would if I wasn't at work

Offline Maineiac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:21 AM »
My thoughts exactly.

Since all of space is a giant vacuum, I'm trying to figure out how a vacuum "to drag earth" has formed within a vacuum....

Can't believe he left out the part about the earth being flat...

The earth is not flat

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I caught a buzz off the second part.  Thanks for the early morning enjoyment!  Great job trying to help others tho!
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline Maineiac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:35 AM »
From what I’ve seen, no “help” organizations are equipped to process fish and game and they won’t accept anything that hasn’t been professionally processed...
On a side note.. if we aren’t revolving around the sun how are we measuring time and what’s making seasons happen? ;D

If we were in a heliocentric orbit vs the orbit that we are in now then we could not see all the other planets The sun would block the view of the other planets..  In our orbit behind the sun we are being pulled in kinda a spiral orbit so we still get close to the sun and farther away and hence the seasons.  The sun is a big giant comet traveling through interstellar space dragging all of us behind it.  Space is not a vacuum.  Space is actually quite dense.

Offline Maineiac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:35 AM »

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:46 AM »
This thread is beyond entertaining!!!  I wanna fish with you!

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Well, for one, common carp were introduced in North America as an intended food source:  https://www.nps.gov/miss/learn/nature/carphist.htm

While Asian carp were most likely aquaculture escapees: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_carp_in_North_America

Carp comes up in the consumption advisories.  In places where such advisories include carp, they seem to appear in the don't-eat or eat-least group.  Although it is interesting to note that the mean contamination is less than canned tuna and about 1/3 that of fresh tuna: https://www.fda.gov/food/foodborneillnesscontaminants/metals/ucm115644.htm

I have eaten smoked carp and found it quite edible.  However, I don't think it would be readily accepted in any form by local food banks, etc.

No comment on the second half of the orig. post.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:16 AM »
A thought or a dream to fight hunger sounds great/ euphoric but a thought or dream is easy/ lazy. Put that dream in motion and then let us know the results, thats the difficult and time consuming part that involves work. The difference between dream and action are results.

Offline Maineiac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:23 AM »
I plan on it. 

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:29 AM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.