The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Kicked off safe ice by State Trooper  (Read 10035 times)

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Kicked off safe ice by State Trooper
« Reply #90 on: Feb 15, 2018, 12:55 PM »
I think it was how that message read Caleb.  I don't take any of this personally having dealt with it in so many fishing venues that it's old hat. 

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #91 on: Feb 15, 2018, 03:30 PM »
Dont get mad at cSlater, hes simply telling you like it is. Right or wrong, thats how it is.. Im kind of shocked you guys thoguht it was any different. As we see many examples of this on the news every week.

This is what i meant by pick your battles. Tell me to get off the ice, fine.. ill go some where else...Try to come into my home without a warrant and thats a battle worth fighting.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #92 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:15 PM »
  The officer is NOT harassing you if he/she thinks they are doing their job.

If they think they are doing their job?  Of course they are doing their job, no matter what they are doing.  If he is doing his job incorrectly or is doing it the easiest most convenient way for him regardless of the actual safety issues at hand then he is still doing his job. And, he is also harassing a law abiding citizen who is just trying to relax and fish.  Your presumption that because he is on the clock he therefore is not harassing the fisherman does not hold water sir.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Your presumption that because he is on the clock he therefore is not harassing the fisherman does not hold water sir.

X2! A long time ago, there was this Dude, he could walk on water... Most of his buddies were fishermen. He has been a Friend of mine, longer than I can remember. Fishing is not only a legal activity, it is Holy to me. If anyone wants to keep me from doing it, they are breaking a law in my state, and they will pay their biggest fines, from the only Judge I've ever been in front of...

<°)))>{

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:41 AM »
it’s just like when the police close a road for flooding or whatever.  It sure is our legal right to drive down that street !!!!   They have full authority to close that public way / right /activity  because THEY believe there was a public safety issue.   It doesn’t matter  that we might have a monster truck or know that the hazard isn’t dangerous.   It matters what he or she believes.   

The tidal ocean access issues are a completely different animal.  Special laws are on the books for that access.   I will state that surf fisherman just like swimmers are often prohibited from the water when the harbor master or police department feels the conditions are too dangerous. 

Ive been ice fishing a minimum of 500 times.   I’ve never been booted.   Add in my posse and you are talking thousands of trips without being rousted.  It’s obviously not a major problem. 

Cops  take bullets - cut them some slack.  Let the cop know you differ in opinion because xyz. Ask him to trust your judgement next time.   

It is best to heed thr words of the good Sergeant - “ Lighten up Francis”

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:07 AM »
Wrong. Keeping idiots from drowning is common sense. Kicking anglers off a foot of ice is just ignorance by the officers .
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #96 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:12 AM »
Ive never been tossed off a beach even fishing 15' surf or a breachway for that matter.  I get tossed when I am in front of some schmucks mansion "messing up his view" 

Funny about the cops take bullets comment...my friends died overseas fighting after swearing and oath much like police.  Even with the imminent threat of death they are held to the highest standards of professional conduct even things go "kinetic" Police need to be held that standard too.  Realize that when they boot you off the ice they are allowing the citizen who called (assuming that was the case) to harass you. 

People who haven't been dealt with it will have the opinion TeamTipup does.  People who have dealt with it will have their opinion.  Where this all goes wrong is when someone posting wants to be "right" but no ones winning anything here. 

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:23 AM »
^This^
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #98 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:29 PM »
If I am on SAFE ice I am NOT leaving because an officer THINKS the ice isn't safe.  Better believe that I will be recording the entire time.  Then the footage goes to EVERY local news channel.  Police are there to ENFORCE the law not create new ones.  Hopefully I never have to deal with that problem tho.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.