Author Topic: Favorite Fillet Knife  (Read 7990 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Favorite Fillet Knife
« Reply #60 on: Jan 15, 2018, 02:54 AM »
My personal favorite / go to knife is the Forschner Victorinox.
It's still as sharp today as it was the day I bought it 25 years ago. This knife has not only filleted all my fish but also used for countless deer for skinning, boning, and slicing. I use it for cutting all of my meats and fish.
I bought it at a butcher shop for $20.00 and they told me if this knife EVER gets dull to bring it back and they'll resharpen for as long as I own it. At the time I thought I was crazy for paying that much for a lousy knife!
It's NEVER needed to go back for sharpening  ...

:tipup:
Lobes
Still waiting for more info on this miracle knife that doesn't need sharpening even after 25 years of steady use!
I want to invest in it after purchasing one because once the world finds what this miracle knife can do I'll be a millionaire from my $500 investment.
I mean I've heard of knives holding an edge but this is incredible. A knife that never needs any kind of sharpening even with constant use for 25 years?
Sounds too good to be true.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:48 PM »
Dexter Russell's are on Amazon. Super sharp but I'll see if it lasts. Definitely wish I had a magic knife like Lobes  ;D

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:59 PM »
My son got me a Havalon fillet knife because I loved my Havalon piranta so much for big game. And it has turned into my go to knife.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 30, 2018, 07:54 AM »
I have 4-5 dexters, mostly skinning knives in the fur shed, but they seem to constantly need sharpening.

My victorinox seemed to be sharper out of the box and holds an edge a lot longer than my dexters.

The 25 yr guy above was maybe exaggerating a bit but they are seriously very good knives. Really happy with mine

Offline Joshj11

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hows the Ice?
« Reply #64 on: Jan 30, 2018, 09:36 AM »
I love my Mora fillet knife, but I still do like the regular Rapala wood handled ones too with the 4” blade. Both have their uses!

Agree, the Morakniv 6" is primo for the price!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #65 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:31 AM »
Great thread! I've always used the cheap Rapala fillet knives and they serve their purpose for me. I don't clean fish more than 6 times a year so I have a hard time justifying a top end knife but from this thread I found a few other knives of interest that I would be comfortable spending the money on!

Offline MN Bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Chasing anything that swims in the Midwest
« Reply #66 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:45 AM »
I just picked up the Morakniv 6.1" filet knife - thanks to this thread! I'm excited to use it!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #67 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:29 AM »
I've owned and used a pile of them over the years.  My old, folding wood-handled Rapala is a favorite, but I'm really liking the two new Cuda brand fillet knives I tried.  I bought the 6" version and liked it so much I immediately bought the 4" to go with it.

I'm a "knife nut" with lots of knives from makers like Benchmade, Busse, Randall, Zero Tolerance, Fallkniven, etc.  If someone would make a fillet knife with one of the modern super steel blades, I'd likely try it.  But for now, I don't think there is much difference between the reputable brands as far as steel goes; stainless or carbon.  The user's ability to keep it sharp may be the important thing.

I think the Cuda knives are a great value.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:52 AM »
Still waiting for more info on this miracle knife that doesn't need sharpening even after 25 years of steady use!
I want to invest in it after purchasing one because once the world finds what this miracle knife can do I'll be a millionaire from my $500 investment.
I mean I've heard of knives holding an edge but this is incredible. A knife that never needs any kind of sharpening even with constant use for 25 years?
Sounds too good to be true.
Stop being a dick. We all get your point.

Offline Wilkin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:50 PM »
 Switched to a electrics about 10 years back, right now it's a 12 dollar black&decker with Berkley Slim Fillet blades, most flexible electric knive blades I've ever used they work really good.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #70 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:38 PM »
My favorite filet knife has to be a Rada.  You can get a rada sharpener also to keep the blade sharp.  I did get an American Angler from walmart (electric) and I do really like this.  It is so much quicker to get your fish done.  Nez

CowDawg

« Reply #71 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:07 PM »
I have 3 favorites. 
I'll use my older Rapala or Normark for cutting through any bones and scales.. Then I'll switch to my good Wusthof fillet knife to do the cutting of the fillet off the skin and trimming. 

Offline Chawk190

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:07 PM »
I have 4-5 dexters, mostly skinning knives in the fur shed, but they seem to constantly need sharpening.

My victorinox seemed to be sharper out of the box and holds an edge a lot longer than my dexters.

The 25 yr guy above was maybe exaggerating a bit but they are seriously very good knives. Really happy with mine
Agreed the Forschner(Victorinox) commercial Fibrox handle knives are very sharp out of the box and hold an edge quite well. I live near the parent company SABI’s HQ, and they have cancer charity benefit warehouse sale for 4 days every November. The merchandise varies every year but they typically have a good selection of commercial grade boning, filet knives and steels. Best deal last November was 6” flex boning knives for $5.00. I bought 6 boxes of 6, gave some to family and friends and a few to guys met on the ice.

Offline TheCaveman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:32 AM »
For my work with trout and salmon, the all-time favorite is the rapala soft grip.  Dishwasher safe, takes and keeps an edge well.  Great knife.  I also use the 6" for butchering deer.

(Image removed from quote.)

i have the set of those with three knives, i love them to death
~Good Luck~

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Feb 18, 2018, 09:33 AM »
We have a local knife maker here in Manitoba that makes amazing knives. Look for a local knife maker... you can’t beat the quality.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.