Author Topic: Favorite Fillet Knife  (Read 7994 times)

Offline WolfPack1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Favorite Fillet Knife
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:09 PM »
I love my Mora fillet knife, but I still do like the regular Rapala wood handled ones too with the 4” blade. Both have their uses!

Offline iloveacrappiedinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:11 PM »
I have a Havalon Barracuda edge. Razor sharp blades, and when they dull, I pop out there old and pop in a new blade. I also have the skinning blades today go into the knife for working on deer so it's dual purpose. It's a little small for giant trout and salmon, but works perfect for panfish, perch, walleye, and even pike. Plus it folds for storage. I would highly recommend it.

Offline oldsCOOL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:26 PM »

These are the ones I use

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:03 PM »
My wood handled Rapala is a very good knife. Especially on smaller fish.
But most of the time I use my Dexter Russells just like you will find at every commercial fish cannery here in Alaska.
They hold an edge extremely well and are a pleasure to work with.
We do more fish here in AK in one year than the average person in the L48 does in 2 or 3 and the fish are bigger here on average.
Try the Dexter Russell.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:52 PM »
Sharp would be my only requirement. Brand really doesn’t matter, I’ve probably used them all at one time or another.
Come on fish!

Offline Rangerphil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:17 AM »
Another vote for the wooden handle rapala.

Offline nocsious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:19 AM »
My wood handled Rapala is a very good knife. Especially on smaller fish.
But most of the time I use my Dexter Russells just like you will find at every commercial fish cannery here in Alaska.
They hold an edge extremely well and are a pleasure to work with.
We do more fish here in AK in one year than the average person in the L48 does in 2 or 3 and the fish are bigger here on average.
Try the Dexter Russell.

x2.  Dexter Russell knives are what the pro's use who cut fish all day.  I like the sani safe stuff as it's cheap, holds an edge well, and has comfortable handles.  The sharpen easily too.  They aren't glamorous but are a workhorse.  I don't know what steel these knives use as Dexter claims it's proprietary (Dexsteel), but it seems to perform better than something in 440c stainless.

It's all about the steel properties and geometry!  The steel on the Rapala wood handled knives is nothing special but I really like the flex and geometry of the blade.  Conversely I don't like my Wustof in the knife block on my counter.  The steel is better but the geometry isn't nearly as nice.

The Morakniv looks interesting, as the price is about $20 on Amazon and they use Sandvik razor steel.  Pretty decent steel actually.  Better than 440c.

There aren't a lot knives being made in the newer high end crucible steels.  Something in Bohler M390 for instance would likely cost at least $200 or more, but the edge wouldn't need nearly as much sharpening.  There are some custom makers using these higher end steels. 

Some people really like the Leech Lake fillet knives.  They aren't bad and I like the geometry of them, but I don't find them nearly worth what they charge for them.  At $120 I expect something at least as good as Vg-10 in a non-custom knife.  I have a similar knife to the Leech Lake made by Eagle River knife company that I believe has the same steel used by Leech Lake knives and was a bit cheaper.  Of course it doesn't have the top edge on the spine.  that appears to be unique to the Leech Lake knives. 

An interesting knife is the Alaska guide knife by Buck Knives in S30V.  I'd like to give that a try sometime.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:39 AM »
Rapala gets or done.  Feels good in my hand and sharpens good and has the right flex for me.

Offline Houligan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2018, 03:02 AM »
After buying my first mister twister electric when they first came out then later a cordless rechargeable back in 2003 I have used nothing but electric. Back then the battery in the coordless didn't last as batteries do today. Wish milwaukee would make one in the 18 Fuel... Probably could leave a 9ah battery in it for the season and never charge it. LOL... Now have three electric, two AC and one DC that has a long enough cord to clip on the battery or lighter outlet of my pickup and fillet fish on the tailgate. I can fillet all species even trout and small perch like the little 5-6 inch babies in our over populated lake. Great on pan fish/crappies.

As far as my fillet blades, one is in a kitchen drawer and two in my tool chest in the garage only to be used to cut everything but fish... The small sharp tip is great for cleaning your fingernails... ;D

Cheers! 

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:06 AM »
Dexter Russel user here as well.  I clean a lot of fish and use the cheapest models they make.  Dexter basics 7" and 8" fillet knives.  The high carbon steel holds an edge for a long time and you just need to make sure it's washed and dried after using it.  The looks are terrible and the ergonomics average at best but the steel is fantastic, and that's what really counts to me.

I also have a bunch of the rapalas in different models and they're decent but need to be sharpened way more often than the Dexter's.

The best part about the Dexter Russel is the price... $5.77 and better steel than most knives 5x the price.
https://www.katom.com/135-31608.html

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:05 AM »

The best part about the Dexter Russel is the price... $5.77 and better steel than most knives 5x the price.

Now you have me thinking about a new project.  Buy a few of these knives and fit them with custom handles, deer antler, leather, exotic woods or whatever trips your trigger.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:21 AM »
4" wooden handle Rapala's for me. Just have to touch them up with a steel. Wood handled one's are Finland steel. Black handles are China. Big difference.

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I think you have to own at least one wooden handle Rapala, they seem to have a place in everyone's repertoire.  I would not trade by Wusthof for anything I've ever used, it will hold an edge far longer than most.  I did use a fairly inexpensive titanium from Ace Hardware last year on a couple saltwater trips,  I believe the brand was Clauss, and I thought it performed very well.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline ISU_Cake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Well now im gonna have to go compare all the different blades. I appreciate the response everyone!
Living the Dream

Offline fundad01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:56 AM »
cutco fisherman has my vote. the adjustable is a nice feature.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:56 AM »
Dexter Russel here. I have a dozen or so of their knives and love them all for processing.... the roast slicer is a salmon filleting machine

Offline MNice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:42 PM »
old fiskars, must be 30 + years old, hard plastic sheath with ceramic sharpener built into sheath.  I've got a few more, but that one gets most of the use

Offline dunnhuntin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:59 PM »
I use several. For a cheap knife to keep in the boat/sleigh you can't beat the wood handled rapalas. When I come home though, I like my Grohman knives. Hand made in Nova Scotia and hold their edge forever.

Offline CrappieFisherman4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Another vote for the wood handle Rapala

That being said.. lost mine and now I'm using the $3 knife from Walmart

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:54 AM »
After buying the Rapala cordless ion knife I don't use anything else.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Another vote for the wood handle Rapala

That being said.. lost mine and now I'm using the $3 knife from Walmart

X2
Thread killer

Offline 1750outfiterss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Outdoor edge folding Filet or the old stand by a Rapala
Aquatic Species Relocation Engineer 
I only fish twice a week
Once for 3 and
once for four

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2018, 08:44 AM »
My personal favorite / go to knife is the Forschner Victorinox.
It's still as sharp today as it was the day I bought it 25 years ago. This knife has not only filleted all my fish but also used for countless deer for skinning, boning, and slicing. I use it for cutting all of my meats and fish.
I bought it at a butcher shop for $20.00 and they told me if this knife EVER gets dull to bring it back and they'll resharpen for as long as I own it. At the time I thought I was crazy for paying that much for a lousy knife!
It's NEVER needed to go back for sharpening  ...

:tipup:
Lobes

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2018, 09:45 AM »
Dexter Russel user here as well.  I clean a lot of fish and use the cheapest models they make.  Dexter basics 7" and 8" fillet knives.  The high carbon steel holds an edge for a long time and you just need to make sure it's washed and dried after using it.  The looks are terrible and the ergonomics average at best but the steel is fantastic, and that's what really counts to me.

I also have a bunch of the rapalas in different models and they're decent but need to be sharpened way more often than the Dexter's.

Shipping for the $5.77 knife is $11.78.   Need to find local
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2018, 11:13 AM »
I have a cheapo 6" Berkley fillet knife, had it for years and it's gone through a ton of fish.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:16 PM »
It's still as sharp today as it was the day I bought it 25 years ago. This knife has not only filleted all my fish but also used for countless deer for skinning, boning, and slicing. I use it for cutting all of my meats and fish.
I bought it at a butcher shop for $20.00 and they told me if this knife EVER gets dull to bring it back and they'll resharpen for as long as I own it. At the time I thought I was crazy for paying that much for a lousy knife!

Lobes
You should be a comedian! A knife that never needs sharpening  in 25 years of use?
Or is it a self sharpening knife?
That would make a guy millions!
My Dexter Russels will hold an edge longer than most knives but they still need the occasional sharpening.
Sometimes just a honing but I still consider that sharpening.
Please elaborate on this miracle fillet knife that you never sharpen and never needs it!
Or do you just pretend to cut things with it?
I'm serious I(and every other knife user ever) truly want this knife that stays sharp with no sharpening or touch up ever even after 25 years of constant use.

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #56 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:51 PM »
I'm a non electric guy,so I have several Rapala filet knives.I recently cut the blade of one of my longer knives down to a 4" filet knife.I know I could have bought a short  knife,but why buy when you can make it,

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #57 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:17 PM »

Lobes

Seriously??????
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline VDueslerIV

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FILL THE STRINGER!!!!
« Reply #58 on: Jan 12, 2018, 04:23 PM »
The soft handle rapala blades work great for me and my panfish and walleyes.

“Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a shanty, jig and drink beer all day. ”

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 12, 2018, 07:42 PM »
I have two. A 4" Rapala Superflex and a 7" Wusthof that my wife gave me a couple of Christmas' ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.