Author Topic: Incoming from Alaska!!  (Read 2414 times)

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
Incoming from Alaska!!
« on: Dec 21, 2017, 12:20 PM »
Hey guys, I'll be coming to McGuire AFB for 2 weeks in the middle of February and wanted to get some info on winter fishing opportunities in NJ.  I've done a little research and its seems hit or miss on there being fishable ice that time of year.  Are there any good areas to try within a few hours of the base to try and what kind of gear would you recommend bringing? Thanks in advance!!!
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

Re: Incoming from Alaska!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2017, 05:20 PM »
Ripper, bring the usual gear that you would use at home; rods, jigs, plastics, clothing, electronics if they let you; there are some local ponds and/or impounds close to where you
     will be, but not all is open to ice fishing; don't forget I.D. so you can get a resident fishing license if using county park or state controlled waters; if nothing is ready to fish
     by the time you ready to show up, traveling north is about the only option, send me as email address and I can send you some stuff to look at as to where to fish in N.N.J.
     And Thank You For your Service to our Country
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2017, 09:21 PM »
Ripper,
 Middle of Febuary could go either way in NJ, too early to tell. You will most likely have to travel north to find ice. Post again when you are about to fly in and see what the conditions are and what species you are trying to target. I'm sure there would be offers to get out including from myself, if good ice is available. I'm sure most guys could suplply tip ups, poles ect. , assuming you might not be able to bring it with you. PM me if you need to. Thanks for your service and have a great holiday season!

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2018, 03:47 PM »
having great weather for ice for this time of year, littkr delayed start but we are making up for it and building lots of ice. lots of opptunities. not like alaska but pike, muskie, walleyes, largemouth, panfish, possibly even hybrid stripers alk our possible. pm me when you get down and i can point you in the right direction or take you out

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Ripper, bring the usual gear that you would use at home; rods, jigs, plastics, clothing, electronics if they let you; there are some local ponds and/or impounds close to where you
     will be, but not all is open to ice fishing; don't forget I.D. so you can get a resident fishing license if using county park or state controlled waters; if nothing is ready to fish
     by the time you ready to show up, traveling north is about the only option, send me as email address and I can send you some stuff to look at as to where to fish in N.N.J.
     And Thank You For your Service to our Country

Thanks for the response Capt Jim, P.M sent
U give a man a fish, u feed him for a day....I teach a man to fish.HE CATCHES ALL THE FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2018, 08:51 PM »
Ripper,
 Middle of Febuary could go either way in NJ, too early to tell. You will most likely have to travel north to find ice. Post again when you are about to fly in and see what the conditions are and what species you are trying to target. I'm sure there would be offers to get out including from myself, if good ice is available. I'm sure most guys could suplply tip ups, poles ect. , assuming you might not be able to bring it with you. PM me if you need to. Thanks for your service and have a great holiday season!

Thanks for the response Jedhead...I shouldn't have an issue bringing all my own stuff because they let is fly with 5 bags, I guess my only worry would be my electronics getting damaged.

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2018, 09:19 PM »
having great weather for ice for this time of year, littkr delayed start but we are making up for it and building lots of ice. lots of opptunities. not like alaska but pike, muskie, walleyes, largemouth, panfish, possibly even hybrid stripers alk our possible. pm me when you get down and i can point you in the right direction or take you out

Sounds good.  I didn't think there was a possibility of hybrids, that would be something different.  I lived in Maine for a while so I'm kind of familiar with the Northeast fishing but it has been a while.

Offline delawareriver

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2018, 06:04 AM »
Sounds good.  I didn't think there was a possibility of hybrids, that would be something different.  I lived in Maine for a while so I'm kind of familiar with the Northeast fishing but it has been a while.
yeah doesnt happen every year but this year looks like it will. either on hopatcong or spruce run, ive never fished for them but definitely plan to if those lakes freeze over.

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2018, 10:40 AM »
I'll be landing Sunday morning, anyone have an update on the ice conditions?  Also should I bring a rod and gear for open water or it there nothing really worth catching this time of year?

Offline kuz1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:09 PM »
i was on about 7in in north jersey and there will be some cold weather coming, so north jersey should be ok.

Offline AKFISHRIPPER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIFE=FISHING
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:03 PM »
i was on about 7in in north jersey and there will be some cold weather coming, so north jersey should be ok.

Awesome!

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2018, 07:53 PM »
PM me when you get settled in NJ. Central and mid north NJ ice is shot. Probably will have to go north NJ to get good ice . Looking to get out next week based upon weather, let's see what happens and I'm sure your jigging pole is just fine. Myself and most guys have way too many tip ups, so that should not be an issue.

Offline jimc1965

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2018, 02:13 AM »
Shoot me a PM when you are ready to fish. You are welcome to tag a long where ever we go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.