The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Garmin Striker 4  (Read 13704 times)

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Re: Garmin Striker 4
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:03 PM »
I use an old ice skimmer bolt an open water transducer to the handle . Run it down in the hole upside down with the skimmer part upside down on the ice and the handle hanging in the hole with the transducer on it . You can bend the skimmer so everything sits flat and hangs straight .  Work for me .

Sorry no info on that unit but it looks like a good deal to me .

Offline mt4410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:13 PM »
sorry for the poor picture posting. but here's a rough break down :

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Oct 19, 2018, 02:41 PM »
Quick question on the Striker 4 - can the unit be used as hand-held gps when not on the water? like on a hike?

Offline tonyjackson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Quick question on the Striker 4 - can the unit be used as hand-held gps when not on the water? like on a hike?

You would need an external battery. But the gps doesn't show anything but a white background. at least mine does. You can put in way points and it will show you a direct route to it.  It's only really good on the water/ice.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something.

Offline RMoore85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I have the striker 4 with the battery kit.  Great fish finder overall, and I believe the flasher mode will work well this winter.  I really don't see the need to buy the special Ice fishing transducer for it, but we shall see!  For the money it is a pretty impressive little unit.  I used it all spring summer and fall trolling. 

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2018, 11:37 AM »
i use mine in flasher mode with the reg transducer works great for ice fishing. i never use the gps because i know where i am on the ice.

Offline Justin1235

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2019, 07:40 AM »
How did you mount that Garmin striker 4 on the clam genz box?

Offline DowneastPescador

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2019, 08:53 PM »
We use a Garmin Striker 5plus. It has a larger screen (5inch) than the 4. Also the 5 can be mounted to your boat for open water season. The transducer is very accurate and really pin points fish and bait. We can see the bait then the barrel swivel clearly at all depths. You can even pick up your knots. It has been a game changer not only for locating fish and jigging them up but also for setting baits on tip ups. You can be confident that your bait is exactly where you want it to be.

Offline browntrout20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Apr 11, 2020, 07:56 AM »
Has anyone tried their striker 4 in 40 to 60 feet of water? Is the FF capable of  showing your jig/lure and marking bottom hugging fish? thanks.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Apr 11, 2020, 08:42 AM »
yes i have used it that deep just through the ice. sometimes it marks better than others, the ice ducer would probably cure this. you have to mess with the settings to get it dialed in for conditions. overall i love it. plan on using it on my boats more this year.

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Apr 11, 2020, 11:05 AM »
Yep, we fished those depths most all winter, worked great.

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Apr 11, 2020, 07:06 PM »
So I can send a pic when I go to camp, but simple way to rig the open water transducer is to take a 12" piece of 2x4 and secure a 30" piece of 2x4 in an L  shape.  Put a hole for an ice cleat in the shorter piece away from the L.   Secure a piece of metal flashing to the end of the long piece with glue and finish nails to attach the suction cup.  Put transducer in hole (it will be well below the ice, and secure with ice cleat.  Simple, cheap, and if it breaks it takes 10 minutes to build a new one

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.