The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Road Trip to Fletchers  (Read 1309 times)

Offline 1977 Walleye Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy, fishy, fishy!!!
Road Trip to Fletchers
« on: Dec 29, 2011, 06:36 PM »
Girlfriend and I are headed for an extended weekend of ice fishing at Fletchers pond!
Were staying at the Landing so if any fellow ice fishing brethren want to fish together (our first time to fletchers) or grab dinner one evening just shoot me a pm. Were headed out T-minus 2hrs and counting ;D lol.

It's the hunt, not the harvest that matter's most!!

Offline Diehard_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Im a diehard fisherman, obviously.
Re: Road Trip to Fletchers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:54 PM »
heard their nailin crappie and pike out that way

Offline 1977 Walleye Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:54 PM »
Day one report.....after a 6 and 1/2 hr road trip we arrived at around 4am.  After taking a short nap in Hillman waiting for the bait store A1 woods and waters( super nice and very helpful) to open,visiting wild Bill's bait and tackle andswitching from where we were going to stay to another more comfortable landing was finally on the ice around 1030 this morning. was unable to locate the panfish, but we did catch two pike. one 26" and a 26 1/2" These were the first pike we have ever caught, what a rush that is.

we will be back at it in the AM, minus the nap we took its been a long 36hrs... but worth it to walk on the hardwater and land a new species!

sidenote, ate dinner at chauncey's pub, the friday special Fried cod.....its ok, one would think with three lakes bordering the state walleye or perch would be the perferred fish  ;)

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Great report and glad you got some pike. Keep the reports coming.

Offline Snoman2005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2011, 07:03 AM »
Congrats on your first pike.  As a new "Ohio'an"...I wish I had a pike factory lake like Fletchers near me.  If you want a good meal, go to Alpena....a lot more options.  Good luck and have fun.

Offline fisherwylie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:42 AM »
Well good job on those pike man it is a rush when u never cought them before ... I am still dreaming of being on the ice.. and good report man thx..
Fishing is not just a hobby... its my life!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:26 PM »
haha! Read around the site a little more and you will find out why restaraunts dont often have it! Nobodys limiting on legal fish lately. So sad :(

Offline 1977 Walleye Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Day 2 report

we were on the water and setup by 7:30 this morning, It turned out to be a beautiful day out on the ice.

We landed 5 pike today, lost two before we could see them. Caught one legal bass and two 10" perch.  All fish from tipups.  Tried looking for a night bite for crappie but was unsuccessful.

For Dinner tonight we ate calzones from the pizza shop inside the BP gas station, pretty good!

Now I like to say, Jim at Jack's Landing is the most hospitable person i have ever met. He also taught me how to properly clean Pike with out bones!

After fishing in the am, we will be leaving for our 6hr trip home to Ohio. It saddens me to say this.....I will miss Fletchers pond and Jim at Jack's Landing.

Offline Left/Center

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:00 PM »
Wait till ya taste those boneless pike fillets, mmmm. If ya wanna try something different whip up some pike chowder  ;)

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:17 PM »
Awesome report and so glad you enjoyed yourself at Fletchers, similar to mine earlier in the week. Good job and enjoy the pike.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2011, 09:22 PM »
dang id like to know what he taught u bc i love pike but everytime i clean one it ends up being like a salmon fillet

Offline 1977 Walleye Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Day 3

We were only able to fish till 1030 this morning before we started our 6 hr trip home. It started off very active, we missed a few, broke off one. we did not land a pike this morning, managed to land a nice LG mouth, catfish, and one really aggressive gill  lol.  It started raining as we were leaving the ice this morning.

It was a fantastic trip, one i look forward to making again and again yr after yr. !

Ask Jim at the Jack's landing bait store on how to clean a pike without bones, he took the time to show me ;)  I just cant say anything but good things about him! top notch fella!

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2012, 06:33 PM »
never been on that lake. would it be worth a 3.5 to 4 hour car ride up there this winter? i dont have a quad or sled this year. would i be able to walk from jacks landing? worth staying for a weekend?
fish on!!!

Offline 1977 Walleye Guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2012, 07:56 PM »
Well we drove 6 plus to go.....
Yes well worth the stay, nice cabins.  Yes you can walk out from Jacks landing, if you dont stay there its $5 to park or you can go to the public ramp thats not far from there.
You also can get your bait needs there as well, Wild Bills on M-32 or A-1 woods and waters in Hillman

Good Luck too you

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2012, 08:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. Any walleye?
fish on!!!

Offline Snoman2005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2012, 06:47 AM »
Not a walleye lake.