Author Topic: what to expect with all this snow...  (Read 2033 times)

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
what to expect with all this snow...
« on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:49 PM »
with all this snow, what does everybody think its going to be like out there this weekend? i have 16" of ice where im at..
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline hoopdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what to expect with all this snow...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:53 PM »
I think its going to be 16" of ice plus snow !!! ;D :D

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:57 PM »
its suppposed to be a nice weekend weather wise, but when you poke a hole in the ice the water is going to flow out of them holes at a good rate. bring yer rubbers ;D

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:26 PM »
i don't think there will be a big change down south.....after yesterdays snow storm and rain it compacted the recent snow down to about 4 to 5 inches.......i think i will still be able to get around on old snowmobile and atv trails.....i think up north it will be a bit different with the 16 inches of fresh snow......if that rain comes through tuesday or wednesday it could be a mess....i feel for you winni fisherman, because i know last year it was a mess.......i would suggest going with someone in case you do get stuck or need some assistance......either way i am sure we will find a way to get it done.....i would hate to say i am walking, because now that i am a year older i don't know if i have it in me......lol......
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline hoopdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:35 PM »
with all this snow this is what I saw out there !!!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:36 PM »
Jeez can you imagine :o

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:39 PM »
its suppposed to be a nice weekend weather wise, but when you poke a hole in the ice the water is going to flow out of them holes at a good rate. bring yer rubbers ;D

I'm hoping for the best, but i think you're right :-\  Dress for the conditions and wear good/waterproof boots.

Good Luck to everyone this weekend ;)

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Was out on Alton Bay today, 10-12" of packed snow on ice with about 1" of slush underneath. 2 short roads plowed and tough going. If we get the rain they are forcasting for this tuesday it is going to be like last years derby weekend. HELL! I am preparing the shack by blocking up another 3" and clearing snow away and shoveling paths to traps.

Offline mosred

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bucktails
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:12 PM »
I was planning on using my snow shoes this year.  I have nevr used them on the ice and was  wondering if I should even try?  Alternative would be my knee high lacrosse boots.  Any words of advise?
Gone fishin, be back at dark-thirty!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:19 PM »
I was planning on using my snow shoes this year.  I have nevr used them on the ice and was  wondering if I should even try?  Alternative would be my knee high lacrosse boots.  Any words of advise?

the old type would be hell from the slush freezing to them but the new kind would be just the ticket, you wont sink into the slush wearing them and you would stay dry better.

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2009, 08:58 PM »
riverrat, did you drill any holes? Was wondering if any water came up outa the hole. ???

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Yes I did drill holes and yes some water came up but not as fast or as much as expected, water is coming up from the shoreline onto the ice in some areas. They were plowing the runway today and where they were plowing up the snowbanks the water was forming around them from the weight of the snow. It is bringing back not too fond memories.

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:14 PM »
I   EXPECT  ALOT  OF  PEOPLE   TO   BE  WALKING  4  WIINI DERBY  its   gonna  be   sloppy  lots   of snow   probably  little   truck   driving

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:18 PM »
Sleds should get around fine, I just hope we dont get dumped with more snow tues.

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:23 PM »
yep,  i  think   snowmobiles  will  be   fine,  i   have  an  old  indy   500   works   sweeeet   to   get  me  to   where  i   need

Offline lv2huntandfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:58 PM »
I   EXPECT  ALOT  OF  PEOPLE   TO   BE  WALKING  4  WIINI DERBY  its   gonna  be   sloppy  lots   of snow   probably  little   truck   driving

There will always be not so smart people driving there trucks in the slush and getting stuck ;D

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:16 PM »
with all this snow, what does everybody think its going to be like out there this weekend? i have 16" of ice where im at..

It's gonna be wet. Bring your rubber boots and not sure wheelers are gonna make it. Taint was out today and strongly advise against wheelers.
Plan on jacking up your house on several blocks to get it out of the water. Visibility on the camera will be bad too.
Other than that, should be fun.  ::)

JIGGIN.

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:46 PM »
agreed, my indy light 340 floats on top of the crap, should have no problem.....I Hope ::)

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:32 AM »
Maybe bring a canoe and troll. ;D

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2009, 08:45 AM »
This year is my first winni derby. Sounds like I am in for a unique experience.....

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2009, 10:32 AM »
This year is my first Winni derby. Sounds like I am in for a unique experience.....

its just another year at the derby,somehow they figured out what was the worst weekend weather wise to hold the derby, and they succeeded lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.